#1 12sydney

12sydney

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hi everyone, new to this

I have just fitted a parrot , plug and play to a 2007 mini one diesil r56 and it needed a switched live from the ignition, i took one off the main heater control using a scotch clip, parrot works fine and the heater temp and speed control, but the aircon switch and the direction dial is not doing anything. So i have taken it apart and disconnected the parrot and checked the scotch clip did not split the switched feed to the heater control. i have checked all the fuses and still no joy.

Any ideas, and all the best andy

#2 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hi

This forum is mainly for the classic mini.

You will probably have better luck on the MINI2 forum getting help with your problem.

Try using a multimeter and go through all the connections one by one checking for continuity. By the sound of it you have either broken the circuit or bypassed the heater controls

#3 12sydney

12sydney

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

hi i joined because i have 4 minis, 2 modern and 2 old, the 1966 is fully restored and used weekly, the 1977 is being restored in poland so may be next year i get that back, and the two modern cars for wife and daugther. Done the meter and all cables fine and connections ok, this forum, my last hope but will join the other one also.

thanks and all the best andy

#4 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

hi i joined because i have 4 minis, 2 modern and 2 old, the 1966 is fully restored and used weekly, the 1977 is being restored in poland so may be next year i get that back, and the two modern cars for wife and daugther. Done the meter and all cables fine and connections ok, this forum, my last hope but will join the other one also.

thanks and all the best andy

There maybe a few people on here that can help you but the MINI2 forum is probably better suited for your New MINIs. There will be more people on there familiar with the car.

This is definitely the place to be for your classic minis.

Good luck with your problem

#5 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

a Scotchlock????......... oh dear.

hope you get it sorted. Electrics can be a pain in the backside.

#6 12sydney

12sydney

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

just bougth a new panel off ebay and fitted it and again same fault on this new switch gear, so fault must be a common one or elsewhere.

on a seperste note, on the classics i got a splash gaurd for the 66 one and not sure how it goes, obviously in front of the dizzy, but does it cover the starter or altinator (yes had it converted so its usable)

#7 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

Have you tried bypassing the switches with a piece of wire? This will confirm if the problem is the switches of if it is elsewhere. If it still doesn't work I would suspect you have a broken wire or blown inline fuse.

Some components of cars have fuses built into the back of them. I know the radio to my astra has a slot where a blade style fuse slotted in. The radio was also fused in the fuse panel.

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

I would not suggest using a wire to bypass any multi function switches in any current car, I think that's a very bad idea.  The MINI uses multiplex control for all of its body electrical system and any multifunction switches are likely to not be simply dumb switches but to actually use resistance or capacitance values to talk to either the local module or the body computer directly.  Bypassing the switch with a jumper could cause much damage to one of these two units.  This is also why its quite a bad idea to go splicing things into any of the wiring in any current car.  By splicing into this cable you may have caused damage to the body computer or whatever module the heater panel is directly connected to.  This may be why a new panel has not helped, or it may be that the panels are coded to the body computer and it will only interact with a new control panel once re-coded to accept it (although I think this is unlikely in the case of the heater controls, there are many assemblies that do have to be coded to the computer before they will work).  I hope this isn't the case but it may be that there has been some damage to the body computer.

Or as said above it may have just blown a fuse.  The Parrot may have just taken too much juice on one of the circuits.  Make sure there aren't any fuses in any of the fuse boxes (check all of them, there are often additional fuses for specific things in the engine bay) that may be related to the AC system that you have overlooked.

Edited by Dan, 03 January 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#9 12sydney

12sydney

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

• Thanks to both of you, definatly would not jump a connector, , i dont think a blown fuse as the parrot works and the heater blower and if that connector is disconnected then the fan goes out only, so its just the air con switch and the dial controlling the direction of the fan.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users