#1 anotherrick

anotherrick

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Hello again

Right so once again I'm on the scrounge for knowledge lol. The problem is as titled with the headlights. A couple of days ago my passenger side headlight failed leaving only side light or high/full beam. Then late last night after a 200+ mile round trip the drivers side failed leaving only side light and high/full beam. All other lights work fine except fuel gauge n temp gauge but they never worked lol.
I've searched older posts so know roughly what n where to look, just thought I'd ask as the lights failed a couple of days apart.
It currently has sealed beam lights in which I was gonna upgrade anyway.
The cars a 998 A reg

#2 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Have you checked to see if you are getting power to the lights?

I often found with any of my cars when the bulb on one side went, the one on the other side often followed within a week which kind of makes sense as both sides were installed at the factory at the same time and the bulbs should have similar life in them.

#3 anotherrick

anotherrick

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

Yeh connected a buld to o/s n still the same. Another thing I noticed is when the lights are off you can't flash the lights on full with the stalk but switch the lights on n it switches full beam on!

#4 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

YAY!!! Headlight wiring again (I helped (a bit) Lyndsey diagnose the problems with hers and I hate electrics).

If memory serves me right, the dipped headlights are a blue with red tracer wire that runs from a connector on the steering column to the front of the engine bay. The wire there has an electrical plug on it for which the N/S light plugs in. Check you have continuity between the connector on the steering column and the headlights. If not then check between the connector on the steering column and the connector where the N/S light plugs in. If this has come disconnected and the one half has shorted on the body work, it may be causing you issues.

#5 anotherrick

anotherrick

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Cheers will look it over in the morning, hopefully sort it out or I'll have to get to bingley n back before it gets dark lol

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,438 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

I don't think an A plate will have a dim/dip relay, but it's worth confirming.

The circuit is:

Brown to light rocker switch - red to sidelights/dash illume (becomes red/green after the fuse) - blue to headlight stalk - blue/red to dip - blue/white to main. There's also a purple supply to the stalk for headlight flash & horn.

Disconnecting the multiplug for the stalk will allow you to connect the pins on the car side to confirm the above.

Blue to bl/w for high beam,bl to bl/red for dip - with the lights turned on at the rocker. 

Connect the purple to purple/black to sound the horn & confirm the purple is live, blue to purple/black to confirm the feed from switch to stalk if nothing lights.

#7 anotherrick

anotherrick

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

Cheers will go through that tomorrow too, with regards to the relay the car had a full resto by the previous owner about three years ago and some newer parts were used so will look into that too.

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,438 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

I can't see anyone adding one, its like a usual relay but longer & pink (under the parcel shelf) the ballast resister stuck to the bulkhead cross member by the radiator would be easier to spot. 

#9 anotherrick

anotherrick

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

haha the list gets longer, hopefully it'll be the usual crappy connector n I'll be on my way

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users