32 replies to this topic

#16 Outofthegame

Outofthegame

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:43 PM

Have you checked the timing? I remember when I installed one of these kits I was given a timing figure, whether it was different from the standard I'm not sure. 

#17 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

Have you checked the timing? I remember when I installed one of these kits I was given a timing figure, whether it was different from the standard I'm not sure. 

i checked the timing, its a bit less than standard because of the electronic ignition but seems to run ok at what it is

would i be better off putting the standard needle back in and richening it a bit rather than use the aau needle? the car is still spluttering under load but the colour tune is giving me a good blue colour and then slightly orange blue at the top of the revs

#18 Kieranlee999

Kieranlee999

I am mainly being a nutter from MotorNutz.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Local Club: Robin Hood Mini Club,

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

see if you can buy or borrow a colour tune me and Dexiswolf from here did mine the other day and now he is struggling to keep up with my mini :)

#19 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

see if you can buy or borrow a colour tune me and Dexiswolf from here did mine the other day and now he is struggling to keep up with my mini :)

i have a colour tune, great bit of kit for something so simple!

#20 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

Put the aac needle bak in and it was alot better, a little rich at the top end but driveable, it made it the 80 mile trip to the tuners who will do their magic now and we'l see whats what!
thanks for the help folks!

#21 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

well its not good! collected the car yesterday evening, 100 quid lighter and its not running right! the only time there isnt a slat spot is above 3500 rpm with the throttle wide open! so il be calling back in on monday morning!

should the AAU needle need much profiling or more or less a direct swap and tune up??

#22 daenesh

daenesh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Local Club: Classic Car Owners Group

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:54 AM

i seem to have a  flat spot with the AAU needle on my 998 as well.. 1000 to 2000 rpm feels dead and powerless and then after 2000rpm it kicks in.. but im pretty sure it just needs a good tuning..

#23 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

i seem to have a  flat spot with the AAU needle on my 998 as well.. 1000 to 2000 rpm feels dead and powerless and then after 2000rpm it kicks in.. but im pretty sure it just needs a good tuning..

thats the problem, i thought the money i paid was going to get me a decent tuning!!

#24 tb205gti

tb205gti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

I have not had good results with an AAU needle in my 998, the AAV ran much better.

Honestly, I do not see the point in a custom needle for a simple stage1 998, there are LAODS os needles available, there most definitely is a needle that suits perfect.

but it sounds like you have some other problems, too high/low float level, a leaking carburettor, an airleak or something different. Do you have oil in the pot? 

#25 daenesh

daenesh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Local Club: Classic Car Owners Group

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

thats the problem, i thought the money i paid was going to get me a decent tuning!!

Fair enough, although for 100 quid I could have gotten my car tuned, washed and polished, done my alignment, ordered some Chinese for dinner and some more Chinese for dessert if you get what I mean.. hahahaha

#26 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

I have not had good results with an AAU needle in my 998, the AAV ran much better.

Honestly, I do not see the point in a custom needle for a simple stage1 998, there are LAODS os needles available, there most definitely is a needle that suits perfect.

but it sounds like you have some other problems, too high/low float level, a leaking carburettor, an airleak or something different. Do you have oil in the pot? 

took it back to the guys and got em to put an AAV in and it is running better but its still not fully right!

its not as revvy as it used to be! checked it over, had a couple of lads check it over and no air leaks, no fuel leaks, float hasnt changed and yup, oil in the dashpot

#27 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

You have the classic symptom of a needle that at various points in the range is not correct on fueling, this is what separates the men from the boys, are they just fitting standard needles and adjusting the CO at idle and sending you out? sounds like it.

They should be doing a run through the range and taking note of the CO Reading, removing the needle and measuring the needle along its points and then spinning it up and altering the thickness at various points where the CO is not correct, replacing the needle and taking a run and observing the changes at the various points, if there not doing this which does indeed take a lot of time and retesting then I'd not be spending any more money there.

The problems as said here before is that no to cars are really identical, and because one persons stage one uses needle XYZ unless the components are exactly the same the mixtures off causing flat spots and the like. The needle thats suits you car may not even be a standard off the shelf one, so were back to a modified needle.

The timing by the way should be the same in degrees with points or electronic, there is no need to retard the timing by fitting a electronic kit to replace the points.

#28 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

You have the classic symptom of a needle that at various points in the range is not correct on fueling, this is what separates the men from the boys, are they just fitting standard needles and adjusting the CO at idle and sending you out? sounds like it.

yup, you got it exactly! they even said that they havnt done the timing on it, they havnt used a timing light in 15 year apparently!

they're a good company but for some reason they arnt into my car! they seem happier with tuning boxes and silly diesels!!

going to get a few more bits done and then move onto a tuner that will profile the needle to what i need

until then is there anything that i could do or is it as good as im going to get?

the timing is at 5 degrees btc at 1000rpm with the vacuum disconnected and blocked at the carb

#29 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

Thats shoddy work anyone who sets the mixture before checking the timing is not worth the time to drive there, for all they knew your car could have been 8degs retarded. Mixture and timing would be set and adjusted on the setup. Your being kind saying there a good garage, they obviously know nothing about classics, or even worked on the earlier stuff pre ecu.

Its going to be difficult for you to get it sorted, how far are you away from AC Dodd in the west country? worth a trip maybe

#30 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

Thats shoddy work anyone who sets the mixture before checking the timing is not worth the time to drive there, for all they knew your car could have been 8degs retarded. Mixture and timing would be set and adjusted on the setup. Your being kind saying there a good garage, they obviously know nothing about classics, or even worked on the earlier stuff pre ecu.

Its going to be difficult for you to get it sorted, how far are you away from AC Dodd in the west country? worth a trip maybe

i did find it odd that they didnt touch the timing!

well funny enough iv driven from here(ireland) to norfolk the past 3 years running so maybe it'l be something to plan into a trip!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users