9 replies to this topic

#1 thegreenhornet

thegreenhornet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

Well, my little Mini made our first L2B round trip of 461 miles without a hitch. After getting home though, I went to run down to Sainsbury's, tried to wash the windscreen and found the wipers were stuck to the glass. Then then rack snapped. 

My wipers have always seemed a bit odd. They move fast enough (for a Mini), but there's always been a lot of play in the movement - but of both arms together, they don't move independently of one another. So maybe this was the weak point that finally went. 

It appears the cable has broken where it goes into the motor, but I've no idea what parts I need to replace - or how to get the broken section out... 

photo_zpsab4fa8f2.jpg

And this is looking into the end of the motor. 

image_zpsf6c147be.jpeg

It's all complicated further by the fact that I can't get the screws holding the motor's strap undone! Time for lots of WD40 I think. 

Do I need to replace the entire rack? If so, is this the correct part? http://bit.ly/1jXGs5v

Will I need to buy any other replacement components to attach it?

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

To get the broken bit out, remove the wiper arms and undo the large nuts on the 2 wheel boxes and carefully push them back through the holes, catch hold of the broken bit and pull it out, wash the tube out with gunk or similar. if you had a lot of slack previous to the cable snap then get 2 new boxes.

Remove the top cover and fit the new cable greasing up the boxes and drive cable, reassemble and you should have a nice slack free wiper linkage.

#3 henri1972

henri1972

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

remove the wiper blades and pull the broken cable it will come out to refit feed the cable in and when you reach the gearbox turn the wiper spindle until you get to the last one

With the motor undo the cover bolts and refit the cable end before putting the arms and blades on switch ignition on cycle the wipers and switch off when in park mode refit arms and blades so they sit right hope this helps

#4 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:27 PM

Reason I said remove the wheel boxes is that even if thy are not worn the old grease being hard wont allow the rack to drive the boxes freely, and could well exceed the 6lbs to work the rack from the motor, its only 5 mins extra work.

#5 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

Try penetrating oil like plusgas not wd40, unless it's their penetrating oil and not their lubricant.

#6 thegreenhornet

thegreenhornet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

Thanks guys. If the wheel boxes were worn would the two wipers move independently of one another, to a degree? Just trying to work out what's still usable.

#7 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

they wont wipe full arc and if you can move the arm forth and back there is wear, grease up if ok mate

#8 thegreenhornet

thegreenhornet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

The problem was always more that they wiped more than their usual arc! As though the momentum carried them one or two inches further than they were supposed to go, especially when on double speed. Same cause? 

#9 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

Yes wear between the wheel boxes and the drive cable had the effect of the blades overthrowing and hitting the windscreen rubber and even going past the rubber, so looks like you did have wear before the drive cable broke

#10 thegreenhornet

thegreenhornet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

Sounds like I may as well replace the whole mechanism then, save for the motor and tube. I fancy some shiny wipers anyway :)

Thanks for your help guys.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users