#1 davieschrisj

davieschrisj

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

Rover Mini Cooper 1999

Apologies if this has already been asked, I had a search, but couldn't find anything that matched my problem.

Ok, this may sound weird, but I went to start my mini this morning, but it just wouldn't quite turn over.  In the past, when it has been sat for a week or more, the battery would run flat and when attempting to start it, all I would hear was a click click click...
This time, it sounds like it wants to start, but just wouldn't quite get there.  I took the battery out and charged it through the mains and put it back in.  Same thing happened, just a slight "chug" as if it was about to start, but then it wouldn't.
The battery warning light was on, on the dash right from the first attempted start, but all lights and stereo etc worked.
I've done basic mechanical work on other cars in the past, but always been to scared to do anything with electrics, so an idiot proof step by step pointer to things I could have a look at myself before I have to take it to a garage (again) having just spent £170 on having the heater matrix replaced a week or so ago.

Cheers,

Chris

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,492 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

Heater matrix is £60!!!

As for the starter, check the faq section

Edited by cal844, 22 June 2014 - 09:36 PM.

#3 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

Check your earths and check the battery volts after a good charge

#4 davieschrisj

davieschrisj

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

Cal 844: I know a heater matrix is only £60, but as my fat hands weren't able to get in to it to replace it, I chose to pay someone who has experience in working on minis to do the work, which will account for the extra money!  When you say check the faq, I presume you mean this post: http://www.theminifo...vehicle-earths/
I'm new to minis and was under the impression that mini people were all quite friendly, so I'm sure you didn't mean to come across as blunt as you did with your reply.  It's the problem with the internet, you can never tell someone's tone through writing!
Rob Mac: The earth cables were the first thing I had a look at, the one in the boot seems in perfect condition, but what I presume to be the one on the engine block (a flat braided 2cm'ish wide cable on the left of the engine) looks pretty dirty and frayed.  Any tips on trying to replace that as it seems very tight to get in there?

Cheers

#5 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

Have a read of the link below, its for changing the engine steady bushes but the earth strap is attached to the steady at either end so its the same job really. Also you might be as well changing the bushes while you are there.

http://www.theminifo...-steady-bushes/

#6 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Charge the battery fully and let it stand overnight and test the voltage 12.65v is fully charged, if its been left to go flat repeately then chances are its sulphated, get it drop tested by ATS or Halfords one fully charged to confirm its not sulphated or got a cell gone down.

#7 MINIHF

MINIHF

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Have you tried bump starting it yet? If it starts via bump start it should narrow the problems down

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,492 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

Cal 844: I know a heater matrix is only £60, but as my fat hands weren't able to get in to it to replace it, I chose to pay someone who has experience in working on minis to do the work, which will account for the extra money!  When you say check the faq, I presume you mean this post: http://www.theminifo...vehicle-earths/
I'm new to minis and was under the impression that mini people were all quite friendly, so I'm sure you didn't mean to come across as blunt as you did with your reply.  It's the problem with the internet, you can never tell someone's tone through writing!
Rob Mac: The earth cables were the first thing I had a look at, the one in the boot seems in perfect condition, but what I presume to be the one on the engine block (a flat braided 2cm'ish wide cable on the left of the engine) looks pretty dirty and frayed.  Any tips on trying to replace that as it seems very tight to get in there?

Cheers

Sorry for coming across as blunt, it wasnt intended!

Yes that is the thread i was attempting to link but my tablet computer wouldnt allow me to do so :(

Edited by cal844, 23 June 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#9 davieschrisj

davieschrisj

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for all your help everybody and don't worry about it Cal, as I said, it's hard to get the right tone across on t'interwebz.

I now have a running mini again. But I'm not sure I should admit to what was wrong, it's kinda embarrassing and just goes to show that you should always check the simple things first!  It was... dun dun dahhhhhhhhh....... The fuse for the fuel pump had blown! Goddamn it!  On the bright side, a bit of quick thinking has saved me from many hours of skinned knuckles, swearing and failing, just to end up spending more money taking it into the garage!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users