152 replies to this topic

#61 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:26 AM

Today I was going to weld in the final rear support for the passenger seat. So I got the car out of the garage, run an extension lead for the welder, cleaned up the spots I was going to weld and sprayed them with weld through primer. Because its so bloody cold the paint took ages to dry and it started raining. Put it all back in the garage and went back in the house. Marvellous!

#62 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

Wow some nice work there just had a quick read through loving the red heater thats a nice change from black ones :)

Edited by minimissions, 11 April 2015 - 12:16 PM.

#63 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:37 PM

In a break between the showers, I got all the stuff back out of the garage and got the rear support member welded in, cleaned up the welds, flappy disk'ed the brackets to tidy them up a bit and got some paint on them.

Photos attached.

Hopefully I can get drilling for the seat holes as well today.

Rod

Attached Files

#64 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:29 PM

THE FRONT SEATS ARE FINALLY IN!!!!!

They just have bolts through the holes holding them right now but they fit, they slide and they are very comfortable. I think they look good too.

I could have got more done this afternoon to be honest, but I stood looking at the seats for half an hour.

Now I have to take them out and try fitting the rears. People tell me the Alpha GTV seats go right in but I still need to understand how they are held in place. That's for tomorrow. Right now I am just enjoying this milestone.

Rod

Attached Files

#65 southlincspickup

southlincspickup

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Local Club: Bomber county minis

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:05 AM

mate those seats look fantastic :proud:

think I may have a search on ebay to see if I can find some

great car

#66 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:22 AM

GREAT work

#67 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:52 PM

fitted the headlights today - without wiring of course. I'm going for Angel eyes with up-rated bulbs so I will need to look up the extra wiring and relays needed that I've seen referenced on here. I bought the plastic bowl kits from minispares. I used to have the inner bowl which was attached to the main bowl by a spring. Now its all done by screws through the inner rim.

I also wire brushed all the pedals and sprayed one side of them with a rubberised coating from Eastwood that gives an excellent durable finish. When that's dry I'll do the other side tomorrow.

Rod

#68 vincent_van_go

vincent_van_go

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:44 AM

THE FRONT SEATS ARE FINALLY IN!!!!!

They just have bolts through the holes holding them right now but they fit, they slide and they are very comfortable. I think they look good too.

I could have got more done this afternoon to be honest, but I stood looking at the seats for half an hour.

Now I have to take them out and try fitting the rears. People tell me the Alpha GTV seats go right in but I still need to understand how they are held in place. That's for tomorrow. Right now I am just enjoying this milestone.

Rod

Proper lovely fella, looking great - keep us updated!

#69 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:15 PM

Another lovely day - bit windy but lots of sun - time to crack on

So, I had thought to replace the fuel tank but once I removed the sensor I saw that the inside of the tank is spotless. There's no rust whatsoever. I had bought a spare tank from MiniJosh for a £10. It was perfect outside but has got rust inside. Rather than clean that up, I resolved to sort out the rust hole you can see in the neck of my tank. 

I wire wheeled the top half of the tank, cut out the bad metal, cut a new strip to fit, and welded it in - all as can be seen in the photos. I flappy paddle wheeled the neck and then I sprayed it with a rubberised coating from Eastwood (http://www.frost.co....rosol-18oz.html

). In the photos its just been sprayed. It will dry to a better finish so I'll add a photo when its done.

Overall, I'm very happy with this. When it's dry I will rub down the other half of the tank and do the same.

Im having some problems loading the photos (I've updated my MacBook and I can't find where the new versions of iPhoto stored the bloody images!). I'll add them in when I can suss it out.

Rod

Attached Files

Edited by rodandtom, 18 April 2015 - 01:39 PM.

#70 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:26 PM

Today I fitted the pedals, rubbed down and rubberised the other half of the petrol tank and the retaining strap. I've just posted in the technical section for some help with the Servo as I just can't get it shut. I need to order some clips to hold the fuel pipes to the bottom of the car and then I can get fitting now the tank is done.

Rod

Attached Files

#71 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

Over the last week or so I finished the fuel tank and sprayed it in a rubberised coating. Pic attached. I've also bought some tank sealant just to coat the inside of the neck. The inside of the tank doesn't need it as its spotless.

I got the servo closed finally. I had to make a bracket to allow me to get enough turning force to close it but its now done.

Today I put the base plate, the servo bracket and the servo itself in. I had to use my tap and die set to clean up all the threads on the servo and on the bolts coming through the base plate because they were all painted over. You've got to love the mini where they use 5/16 for bolts through the base plate ( I think thats what they were) and 8mm (M8) bolts on the servo. Why is that?

Anyway I need to just check if that servo needs to be out to refit the engine so I'll do that before I tighten things down. I will fit the cleave pins to connect the servo to the clutch later on today/ tomorrow morning.

My next job is to fit the fuel tank and the new brake lines. I am very worried about doing this. I need to understand where to put the pipe clips - whether they need to be welded in or riveted. I may put a question in the main forum. I need to make sure I run the pipes correctly.

If anyone has a guide or any advice then please let me know.

Cheers,

Rod

Attached Files

#72 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:54 PM

Hi,

Today I started a doing a bit on the electrics. I put the old set of dials back. When I'm finished I am going to do a custom dash but just so I can get the engine in and get it all running, I am putting the old bits back in.

So, dials in. Next problem is that they use a multi-plug when my new loom has a load of bullet connectors. So I cut the multi-plug off the old loom and put some bullet connectors on then plugged them in to the new loom as you can see in the photo. 

I then took off the original steering wheel, the old steering column stalks and cut the old key barrel off.

Whacked the new bits on and put the casing on. The only thing I'm not sure about is that the casing for the steering column turns a bit (between an eighth of a turn). Everything is on tight but the fact that the column moves make it appear loose. I need to work out why because it's not right. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm not putting the old steering wheel on. I've bought a really nice Momo wheel but that requires a Boss kit. I got one from Springalex which is what you can see fitted.

I don't have the bolts to hold the Momo steering wheel on the new boss so I've contacted the supplier to try and get some and then that bit is done!

I put the old rocker switches in the holder. I am ordering a new heater cable so that's why only one side of the switch holder is put in. I need to work out how to actually hold the switch holder in place because it's not readily apparent.

Lastly today, I threaded the wire for the interior light up the A pillar.

Oh - nearly forgot - I had bought a load of leather look black vinyl. I cut it to fit the door cards and the rear parcel shelf. I have cut and contact adhesive'd the vinyl on the parcel shelf. Looks pretty good - hope it fits :-)

Now I can buy loads of clips and line the roof with SilentCoat ready to put the new lining in.

Anyway, it's moving on.

Rod

Attached Files

#73 Hendred

Hendred

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:59 PM

Brill thread and project!  Did you get the alpha seats in ok?

Edited by Hendred, 04 May 2015 - 08:01 PM.

#74 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

certainly did. See the post above (11th April). They are very comfortable and I think they look great.

#75 Hendred

Hendred

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:56 PM

certainly did. See the post above (11th April). They are very comfortable and I think they look great.

Did they just fit straight in as you hoped without adding anything?

Edited by Hendred, 04 May 2015 - 08:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users