Photo
- - - - -

Ignition Coil Wires

Best Answer dklawson , 08 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

OK, in the picture above, you do indeed show that the distributor has points.  Follow the wire leaving the distributor and connect it to coil (-) regardless of where it is connected now.

The white/yellow and white/pink wires go on coil (+).  If you have a white/black wire (and if the white/black wire is not connected to the one leaving the distributor...) leave the white/black wire disconnected and taped off for now.  It may be for a tachometer if fitted.

You asked how to know the firing order.  Go back to page 1 of this thread and the link I posted for the FAQ article.  It shows the cylinder order and the FACTORY orientation of the plug wires around the cap.  You need to confirm if this is still correct for your car.  How?  Download and read my PDF on static timing (link below).  To be accurate there is more to static timing than pointing the rotor in the general direction of a certain lug on the distributor cap. 

Don't assume the distributor drive gear in the block is in the correct orientation to go by the factory positions for the plug wires on the cap.  Read my PDF. The later section of the document will explain how to find and confirm piston #1 is near TDC on its FIRING stroke and how to position the spark plug wires based on what you find.   (Page 5, Firing Order).

So... look at the picture in the FAQ link. 

Read the PDF on static timing.

Find the static timing location around 5 to 8 BTDC for #1 on its firing stroke.

Pay attention to the section discussing placing plug wires around the dizzy cap.  (PDF Page 5, Firing Order).

Place the plug wires in the necessary locations on the cap (based on your findings... not what the factory pictures show)

Set the static timing.

Test for spark at a spark plug by removing a plug, resting it on the cylinder head, and turning the engine over on the starter.

www.sites.google.com/site/purlawson/home/files/StaticTiming%5B1%5D.pdf

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hi all, car won't start and I'm not sure if I put the wires on correctly, is this correct?
Positive at the top
D4BC6C9B-DE17-48BC-8999-8BC1D2C8530A_zps

#2 Stiggytoo

Stiggytoo

Best Plucker?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Local Club: CCMOC

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

Do you have a spark? If so make sure that your plug leads are in the correct order.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

Do you have pink/white and yellow/white wires?
Personally id check to see if there is a spark from the coil...

#4 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

Before answering questions about the low-tension wires, I have a question about your plug wires.  Looking at the picture... did you take the spark plug wires off also?  They don't appear to be on in the correct order.

Piston/cylinder #1 is at the water pump end of the engine.  The plug wires are arranged counterclockwise around the cap in the order 1-3-4-2 with cap position for #1 being around the 1:00 to 2:00 o'clock position (if the drive gear in the block is in the original factory location).  Your plug wires look to possibly be out of order

EDIT 1.

See the FAQ linked below for a picture showing the plug wire order.

http://www.theminifo...s-firing-order/

EDIT 2.

Take a look at the low-tension wires on the coil and the coil terminals themselves.  It's hard to tell colors and routings from the picture.  Post back with text descriptions of what wires (by color) are attached to which coil terminal ( + or -).

Edited by dklawson, 07 August 2014 - 08:06 PM.

#5 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Before answering questions about the low-tension wires, I have a question about your plug wires.  Looking at the picture... did you take the spark plug wires off also?  They don't appear to be on in the correct order.

Piston/cylinder #1 is at the water pump end of the engine.  The plug wires are arranged counterclockwise around the cap in the order 1-3-4-2 with cap position for #1 being around the 1:00 to 2:00 o'clock position (if the drive gear in the block is in the original factory location).  Your plug wires look to possibly be out of order

EDIT 1.
See the FAQ linked below for a picture showing the plug wire order.
http://www.theminifo...s-firing-order/

EDIT 2.
Take a look at the low-tension wires on the coil and the coil terminals themselves.  It's hard to tell colors and routings from the picture.  Post back with text descriptions of what wires (by color) are attached to which coil terminal ( + or -).

So from the right looking from the front it's 1234? If so I'm 180 out oops, spent ages trying to figure out what was going on, but I still have it set up so it sparks on the firing stroke, I think? When the rockers rock above the piston at tdc?

#6 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:34 AM

I'd like to help but first I would like to know what has been done to/with the coil and both its high- and low-tension wires.  I'll be happy to go through the wiring with you once I have an understanding of where to start.  Did you disconnect the low-tension wires and then put them back?  Did you remove the spark plugs and/or their wires?

#7 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

I'd like to help but first I would like to know what has been done to/with the coil and both its high- and low-tension wires.  I'll be happy to go through the wiring with you once I have an understanding of where to start.  Did you disconnect the low-tension wires and then put them back?  Did you remove the spark plugs and/or their wires?

I have just changed engines so I took all the wires off, I did take a picture of it befor but I didn't quite get the detail of where the wires went, also I took off all of the dizzy spark plugs etc

#8 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

OK then, you have a lot to sort out.  Before we start... did you ever see the new engine run to know it is functional?

1. Did you remove or move (turn) the distributor prior to, during, or after the engine installation?
  2. Tell us what ignition type you have (Points or electronic ignition.  If electronic ignition... factory or aftermarket... factory = black box on the side of the distributor housing)?
  3. Look at the coil low-tension terminals.  Look for them to be marked + and -, or perhaps 1 and 15.  List all the wires (by color) that are on each coil terminal.  If the wires are not coming out of the loom, determine (as you are able) where the other end of any wires go.

Once we have the answers to the questions above we can walk you through basic ignition wiring and help you set the engine so it (hopefully) will start and run.

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

The coil should be marked +ve and -ve (or if you're unlucky CB and SW)

If the terminal nearest the engine is +ve then the black wire on there doesn't look right but it depends whether it has been played with and where it goes (looks like it goes to a supressor).

If the white with black stripe goes to the -ve terminal then that looks correct (although the wire looks in a poor state).  I can't tell what the colour of the other wire on this terminal is though.

Edited by GraemeC, 08 August 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#10 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

OK then, you have a lot to sort out.  Before we start... did you ever see the new engine run to know it is functional?

1. Did you remove or move (turn) the distributor prior to, during, or after the engine installation?
  2. Tell us what ignition type you have (Points or electronic ignition.  If electronic ignition... factory or aftermarket... factory = black box on the side of the distributor housing)?
  3. Look at the coil low-tension terminals.  Look for them to be marked + and -, or perhaps 1 and 15.  List all the wires (by color) that are on each coil terminal.  If the wires are not coming out of the loom, determine (as you are able) where the other end of any wires go.

Once we have the answers to the questions above we can walk you through basic ignition wiring and help you set the engine so it (hopefully) will start and run.

I never saw the engine run but it came out of a running car.

Removed the distributor from my old engine and put it on my new engine.

Its just the standard points ignition.

+ black wire running to dizzy. Two wires going into same spade, one is white/cream with yellow tracer and the other is half white/cream and half pink, both wires come from different directions in the loom.

- Two wires going into one spade, both wires are cream/white with black tracers, both wires come from different directions in the loom.

Thanks for the help.

#11 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

The coil should be marked +ve and -ve (or if you're unlucky CB and SW)

If the terminal nearest the engine is +ve then the black wire on there doesn't look right but it depends whether it has been played with and where it goes (looks like it goes to a supressor).

If the white with black stripe goes to the -ve terminal then that looks correct (although the wire looks in a poor state).  I can't tell what the colour of the other wire on this terminal is though.

The wires are in a poor state looks like they have melted at some point, they were like that before I took the engine out

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

Somewhere near that lot there will be another short white/black wire coming out of the loom and just flapping. This is where the black from the dizzy should connect, not to positive.

#13 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

Somewhere near that lot there will be another short white/black wire coming out of the loom and just flapping. This is where the black from the dizzy should connect, not to positive.

I already have those connected, there is two wires that come out of the dizzy.

#14 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

Well it's not points ignition then. Pop the cap off and find out what make electronic ignition is fitted.

Edited by Dan, 08 August 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#15 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

Agreed.

If two wires are coming out of the distributor, that's for an electronic ignition.  If in doubt, post pictures of the distributor with the cap removed.

The white/pink and white/yellow wires are used with ballast ignition systems.  If you do still have points in the distributor, the low-tension wiring you describe above is correct.  IF inside the distributor you have an aftermarket electronic ignition, there are issues to sort out.

When you put the distributor from the old engine in the new one did you do anything to set the timing?  This is important as it may affect both the spark plug wire order AND whether or not the engine will start and run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users