Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:27 PM

Different car, same rust. Two days of welding and things are coming together. Still,come hard work to do though.

Here we go:

c223a890c8e151896e40dacb20623669_zps3mxm
83c0f8bbf6e142021393b41812d1ce58_zpsfpts

2b11e36630e85db34066a59952ca2cc5_zps38ps

e52e49c19bd711a6d243d447fa70b702_zpsgyka

98b60645a7ff45e73327c457d425929f_zps0c5b

The rear arch is now done, that took a lot of fettling and sorting to repair the sill end and rear section as well as the arch. The B post and floor/ inner sill went from bad to worse but only one way to fix it properly. Luckily I have a new wing sat ready to go, unfortunately its a pattern one. Cradley Heathen helped me out (well that's the way I am claiming it, reality is I was the gopher). Jez is a legend and the quality of his work is superb.

#77 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:58 PM

And remember this car had a valid MOT when I bought It!

#78 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

I have realised I haven't updated this for a while so will try and get some pics up. I have had a flare in my arthritis and a serious dose of food poisoning which hasn't helped to say the least. Both wings are now on and the front end is all but done. The drivers side rear sill is almost finished and as soon as it is I can all the interior back in and start getting ready for the mot. I still keep finding new jobs, such as new starring rack gaiters and track rod ends, but they are small jobs in the grand scale of things.

#79 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

Any updates? :)

#80 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

Must get some pics up, will try and get some this week. Loads and loads of work done but just keep forgetting to get pics at the end. Almost all the welding is done, one or two more sessions should see it finished. The security system is about to go in but I won't give too many details on that, just hoping Friday stays dry as it's been put off twice now due to weather as my mate is an electronics engineer and I have designed a few tricks but need someone with a bit more know how to get them up and running, that and his soldering is neater than mine! Then it will be interior back in and hopefully on the road and driveable. The respray will happen over the winter/ early spring if all goes well.

#81 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:21 AM

Sounds good :)

#82 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,040 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

I had one of the last of the Mk.1's, a 3000 GXL with the up-rated Granada engine and the better gearbox ratios. When I got it it was a year old (1974).

The suspension was poor so I did a lot of work on it.

I changed the struts for Bilstein and fitted heavier rate springs. On the rear I fitted harder radius arm bushes and adjustable dampers, plus RS2000 competition spring bushes.

The anti-roll bar bushes were changed for RS2000 competition ones and where the front anti-roll bar went through the track control arms I reduced the length of the steel bushes and used bigger thicker washers to squash up the rubber bushes a bit.

The steering rack mountings on the cross member were poor, so I welded on triangular plates to make the mountings strong & firm.

Then I changed the rubber steering coupling for a different type. From memory it was a Dolomite one which had the same splines.

From then on the Capri was fantastic and the road-holding and handling were transformed.

The aerodynamics on the Mk 1 were not ideal as at 125 mph the front would become a bit 'light' due to there being no form of air dam ;D .

#83 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:05 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   62.39K   4 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   46.65K   3 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   52.17K   6 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   40.03K   2 downloads finally remembered to take some pics! Did some more work today, mostly little welding jobs like seat belt anchor nuts at the rear and a couple of little bits that needed finishing. Also made a start on the rear arch. It just needs the tiniest skim of filler and it will be spot on. just takes a lot of time to get right. The bonnet is open on the pics but I need to adjust it slightly so it sits perfect when closed. Still a lot of jobs to do but getting there slowly.

#84 Dale_

Dale_

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

Must get some pics up, will try and get some this week. Loads and loads of work done but just keep forgetting to get pics at the end. Almost all the welding is done, one or two more sessions should see it finished. The security system is about to go in but I won't give too many details on that, just hoping Friday stays dry as it's been put off twice now due to weather as my mate is an electronics engineer and I have designed a few tricks but need someone with a bit more know how to get them up and running, that and his soldering is neater than mine! Then it will be interior back in and hopefully on the road and driveable. The respray will happen over the winter/ early spring if all goes well.

Is he really going to be able to install a Rottweiler in the glove box?

#85 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:32 PM

You have met him, he is capable of anything. But please keep my honey badger under the drivers seat a secret!

#86 Dale_

Dale_

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

You have met him, he is capable of anything. But please keep my honey badger under the drivers seat a secret!

I wouldn't let anybody know about the hunny badger mate! Is it still alive though? Been there a while.... Honestly thought the capri is looking good and some massive craftsmanship has gone into this!

#87 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:06 PM

I wouldn't let anybody know about the hunny badger mate! Is it still alive though? Been there a while.... Honestly thought the capri is looking good and some massive craftsmanship has gone into this!
it's doing fine, I just feed him a double glazing salesman every week or two. Progress is slow but going well, may slow down a bit for a while after Sunday though Dale, can't think why ;-)

#88 Dale_

Dale_

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:10 PM

it's doing fine, I just feed him a double glazing salesman every week or two. Progress is slow but going well, may slow down a bit for a while after Sunday though Dale, can't think why ;-)

Haha I have no idea why either but I can hear a flat four engine come into the equation.... :P

#89 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:18 PM

Haha I have no idea why either but I can hear a flat four engine come into the equation.... :P
from what Richard said I think I could almost hear it from here

#90 Dale_

Dale_

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:24 PM

To be honest it's no where near as loud as my white one hahaha. I'll take you for a spin in the White one when you come down :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users