3 replies to this topic

#1 Larryville

Larryville

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

Trying to finish up a 4 year ground up restoration on a MK1  1963 Morris Mini.  (Red in colour) Lots of changes: 1330 engine now instead of 850, disc brakes and all new front end, going from positive ground to negative ground.

Just down to hooking up wiring , all new lights front and rear, and finishing installing all new brake lines.

Questions? The car still has the push button start on the floor. Can I still use that?  Its been so long since I took it all apart...   The battery cable went from the battery to the switch, then another cable went from the switch to the starter solenoid? And is there another wire that goes from the switch to where, the ignition switch?    This is all very elementry stuff but I want to get it right. 

Thanks, James 

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,050 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

Get a copy of the original BMC Workshop Manual which has a very easy to read circuit diagram.

You can still use the floor mounted starter switch, or change to an ignition/starter 'on the key'.

BMC Manuals are easy to obtain and there are several on ebay. The one you need is the one with the red cover.

#3 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:46 PM

is your 1330 a A series with the bendix starter ? then its easy to wire it as you describe, it wont be much use though with a A+ Pre-engaged starter though

#4 Larryville

Larryville

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:17 AM

Thanks guys for your help.   

Its not an A+ engine,  about a 1972 vintage 1275 bored out.

I have several early books and manuals that have been helpful, an early Austin seven service parts list  manual that was very helpful in working on the body and interior.

James

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users