#16 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:38 PM

I think mechanical cleaning can be good, but not nearly as effective as chemical cleaning, especially with raw castings, like on the inside of the cooling jacket.

Mechanical methods (even sand blasting) doesn't get in to the valleys of the casting.

#17 fenghuang

fenghuang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:32 PM

... The cable idea is really aimed at cleaning the water jacket.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there chanels in the head, and these match up with those in the block? If you can clean the coolant channels in the block with frayed wire, can you not do the same with the head?

I cannot advise you on where to buy cable ... The cables I am talking about are MUCH larger than what a bicycle would use.  Think 3/16" or 5mm diameter.

I assumed something thciker than bicycle cables were required. Though I'd guess if you took everal short lenghts, platted them together, it would have the same effect?

#18 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:48 AM

Cables are typically made with multiple wires twisted into a bundle, then those bundles are twisted with other bundles.  The multiple twistings secure the cable together.  If you braid bicycle cables... maybe... but if you try and twist them yourself the bundles will be loose and not very effective.

There are coolant passages in the head and you could snake them out.  I suppose they do fill up with crud.  However, I am confident that you will find more silt, scale, and rust in the cooling jacket of the block than can collect in the head.

#19 xydte

xydte

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 02:53 PM

quick question so i don't open a new thread. I have fletcher alloy radiator on my mini. From what i read i think it's better to go to a profesional to remove the hoses and make the clean there??

#20 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 31 May 2020 - 02:57 PM

quick question so i don't open a new thread. I have fletcher alloy radiator on my mini. From what i read i think it's better to go to a profesional to remove the hoses and make the clean there??

Yes you could but a garden hose works too, give it all a good flush out, then use some CLR cleaner for a week and go from there

#21 xydte

xydte

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:00 PM

I was looking to do it my self. also i have a small question. for the heater i remove the 2 hoses and i make a circuit on the block? Sorry for sounding dumby but is a job a haven't done before.

Yes you could but a garden hose works too, give it all a good flush out, then use some CLR cleaner for a week and go from there

#22 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:22 PM

You can do it yourself, I usually flush the heater with the hoses attached to the heater core, just disconnect the highest hose in a manner that it doesn't go on the electrics.

I then remove the bottom radiator hose at the water pump end and also remove the top hose to isolate the radiator

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users