25 replies to this topic

#1 AustinLeonardAutomotive

AustinLeonardAutomotive

Formerly IND00

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:37 PM

Hello all!  So I've run into a problem with starting my cars the past few days.  I've tried to troubleshoot and fix it but to no avail!  I'll lay out the sequence of events and I hope you all can help me out!  The Minis my daily driver so its crucial I get this fixed ASAP.

On Friday the car starts perfectly fine, and starts up fine all day long.

On Saturday Morning, I go to start the car and I get nothing..  No dash lights - no clicks - nothing.

I then hooked up jumper cables to the battery and let it sit for 10 minutes.  The Mini then starts and I leave the house.

I drive for 40 minutes and arrive at a car show, where I shut my car off and walk around for about 2 hours.

I get back into my car after 2 hours and it starts fine.

Then I drive to 25 minutes to a friend's house, where I stay for roughly 30 minutes.

When I go out to get into my car I turn the key and the car tries to start once, but after that all I get is clicking from the solenoid.

We tried jump starting it, but now all I was getting was clicking from the solenoid.

We finally get the car started by pushing it down a hill and dumping the clutch.

Since then I have gotten a mixture of the scenarios - no dash lights at all - tries to start, but then just solenoid click - just dash lights and solenoid click.  :-(

To start the car I now have to roll it and dump the clutch.

Sorry for the weird timeline format but that's the only way I can describe the scenario haha.  I appreciate your guy's guidance/help!  I need my baby back ASAP.

Thanks!

Austin

#2 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:47 PM

I would say a bad earth in the main power circuit to the solenoid, sometimes the connection is ok enough to  start sometimes only enough to light dashboard lights or nothing at all. It's a little dubious, but in looking through you may find an issue, it is possible the ignition switch barrel is also dodgy and not functioning correctly. 

#3 ChopperHarris

ChopperHarris

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:13 PM

yep, bad earth or dirty loose battery terminals

#4 AustinLeonardAutomotive

AustinLeonardAutomotive

Formerly IND00

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for the responses. :-)  I did some research and cleaned up the battery cable/earth.  What other earth should I clean?  I did some research but am having trouble finding other earths.  Thanks!

-Austin

#5 David128

David128

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:46 PM

Earth Strap to engine block. Usually on top engine steady bracket. Its a braid and quite heavy duty. Also check connections on starter motor solenoid.

#6 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

I found the following in English but do not know where I copied it:

Why Won't My Car Start?  Do I need a jump start? Dead battery? Bad starter?  stuck key?

If you turn your car key and get nothing, or get anything less than an engine roaring to life, you might be in for

a bad day. Starting problems can be very frustrating because there are so many things under the hood that

can keep a car from starting. Heck, pretty much everything under the hood can keep the car from starting.

In order to troubleshoot a no-start problem, you need to start at the beginning of the line, the battery, and

work your way back. Some tests for a no-start problem are simple, others are a pain in the neck and a technical

nightmare. Nonetheless, you need to figure out why the car won't start, so we'll try to help. If your key won't turn

in the ignition, try this fix:

Electrical No-Start Problems

Check your fuses: Few cars have a fuse associated with the starting system, but before you go

monkeying around with everything, check your fuses to be sure it's not that simple.

Battery Corrosion: Over time your battery connections can become dirty, or corroded. This corrosion

breaks the connection your battery has with the rest of the car, and it won't start.

Try cleaning your battery posts and try to start the car again.

Dead Battery: The most common reason your car won't start is a dead battery. If you have a battery

tester that can measure cranking amps, test your battery to see if it's weak. If you can't test it yourself,

you can test the battery indirectly

byjump-starting the car. If it starts right away, your problem is most likely a dead battery.

Replace the battery, and clean the battery connections  to ensure good contact.

Bad Igntion Switch: If your battery checks out, but the starter is still silent, it may be a faulty

ignition switch. Turn the key to the on position (not all the way to start). If the red warning lights

on your dash don't light up (and your battery connections are clean), the ignition switch is bad.

If they do light up, turn the key to the start position. The dash warning lights should turn off at this

key position (most cars). If you're not sure, turn on the headlights. When you try to start the car,

the lights should either dim (a lot) or turn off completely. If they do, your ignition switch should be ok.

If not, the switch will need replacement.

Bad Starter Connection: Corrosion can not only keep your battery from connecting, it can affect any

electrical component, especially the ones exposed to the elements like the starter. If you have a helper,

you can test the connection by holding a circuit tester lead on the wire that engages the starter. This

is the smaller of the two wires connected to the starter. Be sure no part of your body is near the

moving parts of the engine - it could still start at any time! Have a friend turn the key and

check the current. If you're getting current to the starter but it ain't spinning, it needs replacement.

If your starter spins freely when you turn the key, the problem lies elsewhere. Now you begin to check the

other systems that could keep it from firing up.

With the starter-related causes of your no-start problem out of the way, we continue the search for why

your car won't start. If the engine can't get spark, there will be no fire. But don't crawl into the hole just yet.

Spark is created by your car's ignition system (ignition means "to ignite). Ignition system troubleshooting

isn't too difficult when you're looking for a no-start problem. The first place to check is your coil.

Coil Testing: To properly test your ignition coil you'll need a multimeter that can measure impedance.

If you don't have a multimeter, there is an easier test you can perform using simple hand tools. Test

your coil and, if it's bad, replace it.

Distributor Cap: Your no-start problem probably isn't caused by your distributor cap, but occasionally,

especially during wet weather, a faulty cap can keep your car from starting. Remove your distributor

cap and check the inside for moisture. If there is even a drop or mist of water inside, wipe it out with

a clean, dry cloth. Inspect the cap for cracks and replace it if necessary. Once its dry, though, it'll work.

Coil Wire: The starting problem could also be due to a broken or shorting coil wire.inspect the wire

to see if there are any obvious cracks or splits, then test for continuity using a circuit tester.

Did it start? No? Ok, on to the fuel-related possibilities.

If the starter is spinning and the sparks are flying, your no-start problem has got to be related to the fuel system.

If your vehicle is fuel injected, there are a number of sub systems that could be the culprit. It will take some

serious diagnostic work to figure it out, but there are some things you can check in the garage that will narrow

it down, and could save you some money by avoiding a trip to the repair shop. Here are some things to check: 

Hope you can use it.

#7 AustinLeonardAutomotive

AustinLeonardAutomotive

Formerly IND00

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:15 PM

Wow that article is just good info to have for any car!  Thanks.  So I checked my car for the engine earth, came back and did some research, and then checked my car again.  Shouldn't this be where my earth is?

IMG_1789_zpsjkazoltz.jpg

#8 AustinLeonardAutomotive

AustinLeonardAutomotive

Formerly IND00

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:14 AM

So I cleaned all the contact points and still nothing...  Could it be a faulty starter solenoid?  Mine looks like its seen better days.  Thanks!

-Austin

#9 nz_seamless

nz_seamless

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:49 AM

If your dash lights aren't coming on, then no it isn't the starter solenoid. Somewhere on the left side of your engine bay will be the braided earth strap. My car (which may not be original) has the strap connected to one of the clutch cover bolts. Yours might be anywhere, including on the road somewhere, which is why it won't start!

Go hunting for your main earth connection in the engine bay. Your solenoid is relying on a good ground to energise the coil. If the earth is rubbish, then it won't flow enough current to engage the starter solenoid properly.

#10 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

Easy to tell if you have no engine earth, the choke cable burns.

#11 AustinLeonardAutomotive

AustinLeonardAutomotive

Formerly IND00

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:35 PM

Well last week I ordered a starter solenoid anyway since mine looked like it had seen much better days. Installed it last night and still just get dash lights and a solenoid click. Took the front grill of to get better access to things and cleaned things the best I could. Im gonna try starting it later today when I get home. Also trying to get my hands on a multimeter atm. Thanks for the help :-)

#12 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:35 PM

There is an earth point in the back of the trunk, I think it´s on the left hand side ( I am driving a LH Mini)

Another in the engine bay on the right side near the fire wall.

Another on the upper engine steady to ground the engine.

I heard from people when there is no proper ground for the engine the the ground is searching its way via the accelerator cable.

Edited by Alpenflitzer, 08 November 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#13 David128

David128

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

I think I would be looking at the solenoid. Its pulling in but not delivering power to starter motor. could be dirty or burnt contacts. 

#14 AustinLeonardAutomotive

AustinLeonardAutomotive

Formerly IND00

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:51 AM

Its got a brand new solenoid in it so that should be fine.  I tested power with a multimeter and the starter and solenoid get power with minimal voltage drop/dirty earths.  Sounds like a faulty starter?  If so I have no idea as to how to remove the starter.  It's surrounded by parts!  :ohno:

-Austin

#15 David128

David128

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:08 AM

remove front grill .. disconnect battery remove cable from starter there are 2 bolts securing starter to transfer gear housing. replacement is a direct reversal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users