#31 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Local Club: Vancouver Mini Club

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:45 AM

Moving along we have repaired the rear wheel arches, the other rear corner, welded in the closing panels at the rear of the sills/heelboard, and addressed the ovalling of the hole for the barn door latch pin location in the floor...and got the rear valence assembly located and spot welded up....

Oh, I have a set of matched side door hinges...needing only one half from the parts bin (photo in the mix somewhere).

Attached Files

#32 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

Woody shell now upright again after finishing the rear end steel work. We finished the closing panels at the rear of the wheel arches without any overlap (the rust sandwiches cut out inspired that) and after locating the fuel tank & rear subframe, we decided to extend the panel inboard to better deflect debris from the rear wheels.

I also decided we should open up the welds in the A Pillars where the two halves had been joined and glad we did so. Replaced the door side steel with 20 gauge.

Next major work to align and weld up the nose...new wings & MK I apron/slam panel & original bonnet. We have to leave the one outer sill until it can be shrunk (had converted it from 6 to 4 flute).

Getting 4 narrow steel strips today to go under the smooth roof before welding up the roof rack holes. Strips should also address the 'drumming' of the smooth roof.

Attached Files

#33 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

Good day yesterday - holes from the roof rack filled - plug welded to 2" wide 18 gauge steel crossing the roof side to side.

Replacement front parcel shelf/dash rail fitted and welded in.

Today we start on the 'nose job'.

Attached Files

#34 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:01 AM

Only 4 hours today...but after much massaging (on, off, tweak, on, off, tweak etc. etc.) we have the apron & wings spot welded together.

Hope to weld the nose clip to the inner wings & A panels at next session.

#35 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:01 AM

Only 4 hours today...but after much massaging (on, off, tweak, on, off, tweak etc. etc.) we have the apron & wings spot welded together.

Hope to weld the nose clip to the inner wings & A panels at next session.

Attached Files

#36 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:55 AM

Nose on after 4 hours yesterday. Now on hiatus again given my bash & weld partner's older family member's serious illness.

Attached Files

#37 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:26 AM

Some really great work that's been done on this.

#38 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:18 PM

We have slowed for sad reasons.  My bash & weld partner's elderly mother-in-law has gone into hospice care with cancer.  Nothing comes ahead of family at times like this. 

When we resume we will finish bonnet install, go over all our work to ensure it is complete & finished.  We will also lightly blast the 4 doors to see exactly what more if anything is needed there.  Then check the new wood fit before bringing in the body/paint man to see the raw shell and set up the plan to prepare & paint the Mini.

#39 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:58 AM

Within the month, my partner's Mom-in-Law passed this morning.  He was and is a steadfast supporting partner to his wife and the eldest daughter of the deceased.  They need another bit of time to address arrangements, the estate and property dispersal.

When clear, we will resume the build process.

In the meanwhile, I have ordered new wiring harness & relay box, new 2 speed wiper motor & switch, new ignition switch, new Special Tuning 4.5"x10" wheels, new Cooper S brake kit with AP calipers, picked up new windscreen, rubber & lock strip, new wiggly pins to go with new front suspension bits on hand, new Austin script for rear barn door, bought paint for both front & rear sub frames & fuel tank, received new fuel sender etc....where can I get new 850 barn door script????

#40 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:23 PM

Got back on the project yesterday...John was relieved to be the garage after his Mother-in-Law's final illness and passing.

Almost ready to call in the body/paint man!

Attached Files

• Attached File  066a.jpg   113.19K   11 downloads

#41 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:30 PM

Since 'Lucky' is a "bitsa Countryman", would it be a sacrilege to use Australian doors with wind up windows and vent windows?

Going to see a pair of doors later today...don't yet know their actual condition.  I do know the vent window rubbers are approx. $70 or so per side as I bought new rubbers for a friend in Seattle, Wash. (who has a '76 Window Van) when we were travelling in Australia.

Driving in Australia gave me a chance to fully appreciate the Aussie doors which retained the bins while adding the rollup &vent windows.

PHOTOS - ROO at home in Canada and at the Daly Waters Pub in Australia's Northern Territory during our One Lap Adventure.

Attached Files

#42 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:23 PM

Since 'Lucky' is a "bitsa Countryman", would it be a sacrilege to use Australian doors with wind up windows and vent windows?

Going to see a pair of doors later today...don't yet know their actual condition.  I do know the vent window rubbers are approx. $70 or so per side as I bought new rubbers for a friend in Seattle, Wash. (who has a '76 Window Van) when we were travelling in Australia.

Driving in Australia gave me a chance to fully appreciate the Aussie doors which retained the bins while adding the rollup &vent windows.

PHOTOS - ROO at home in Canada and at the Daly Waters Pub in Australia's Northern Territory during our One Lap Adventure.

At the end of the day it's your car so do what you want to do. I don't think it would be too hard to go back to standard doors in the future if you wanted to go back

#43 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

Aussie doors to far gone...would need complete rebuild, probably internal rot to deal with too, reskinning, glass and the vent rubbers alone are +$70 per side vs $15 a side for MGB.  Too bad as they were not the later anti-burst door handles

So I passed on them.

#44 spike 25

spike 25

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:37 PM

Looking very good Mr Hunter 2 :-)

#45 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:51 AM

Decided to strip the paint & primer off the MK III bonnet we modified back to MK I  The paint was thick stuff...which the stripper soon loosened.

Tomorrow to the inside...

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users