Photo
- - - - -

Saxo Engine Install, My Progress So Far.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 pinkmini99

pinkmini99

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:24 AM

Dude...a saxo engine.....seriously??!!

If it's good enough for these guys to do it.

http://www.badobsess.../projects/mixo/

#17 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

Bit hard to tell from the shots but are your driveshafts lined up as well as they can be?
Frame looks nice....with the frame almost done you can see the finish line.

I've tried to get them in the best position as far back as possible but the subframe tower get in the way of the gearbox going any further back, also the gear linkages prevent this also.
If the bottom bar is the stabiliser rod it does not have to mount in the same place or even be straight. The gear linkage was the bit the worried me with the Swift conversion. I used the Suzuki shifter and just cut the two rods down. Other thing to see is if the same box is used on another car with cable shifts you could always adapt it.

#18 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:06 PM

Bit hard to tell from the shots but are your driveshafts lined up as well as they can be?
Frame looks nice....with the frame almost done you can see the finish line.

I've tried to get them in the best position as far back as possible but the subframe tower get in the way of the gearbox going any further back, also the gear linkages prevent this also.
If the bottom bar is the stabiliser rod it does not have to mount in the same place or even be straight. The gear linkage was the bit the worried me with the Swift conversion. I used the Suzuki shifter and just cut the two rods down. Other thing to see is if the same box is used on another car with cable shifts you could always adapt it.

Cheers mate I'm still struggling with the linkages I'm not getting a lot of side to side movement in the stick and the gears are stupidly close together, I'll look at some swift conversions.

#19 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

Just looked a couple of pictures and the Saxo linkage is complex! Xantia uses a cable shift setup ....maybe that's an option?

#20 cookie4343

cookie4343

• Traders
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

So did some measuring up tonight after looking at the engine position yesterday and playing with it abit.
I raised the gearbox 10mm with temp washers for spacers, by doing so the engine sits a lot more level.
I've fitted a saxo vtr dummy driveshaft carrier on the drivers side and going by my measurements the engine and box is 10mm over to the passenger side, should I be worried?
Hears some pics of the inner cv joints in hopefully there final resting position.
Passenger side
image_zpsauzukocp.jpeg
Drivers side
image_zpsdvuh0i1q.jpeg

#21 domdee

domdee

Formally known as dominicdee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Local Club: hull clubs on FB

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:28 PM

Looks like your on to a good thing!

#22 cookie4343

cookie4343

• Traders
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

Looks like your on to a good thing!

Cheers mate just hope this all works out, it's took me months on and off.
I've sacked the idea numerous times and thought about the micra conversions and allspeed route but I can not justify the cost of allspeed.

#23 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

10mm to one side or the other is fine. Most conversions have one driveshaft slightly longer than the other and 10mm won't make any difference to torque steer.

Are you going to cut and shut your driveshafts. It's easy to do if you know a mate who has access to a lathe and they will be plenty strong enough?

#24 cookie4343

cookie4343

• Traders
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:03 PM

10mm to one side or the other is fine. Most conversions have one driveshaft slightly longer than the other and 10mm won't make any difference to torque steer.
Are you going to cut and shut your driveshafts. It's easy to do if you know a mate who has access to a lathe and they will be plenty strong enough?

Yeh I'm going to have to get that sorted not got a lot of mates lol, I'm glad that 10mm to one side won't make a difference.
Eventually I buy a new set of saxo vtr shafts which are solid and go see a few machine shops and hopefully they can help, measureing them correct will be a challenge.
The saxo inner cv joints have a large Spring in there cups do I remove this before measureing.

Edited by cookie4343, 18 January 2016 - 09:04 PM.

#25 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:20 PM

Yes best thing to do is assemble the inner and outer cv's without their drive shafts. Then take a length of round wood as a dummy driveshaft and pop it in. Then manually move the suspension up and down and left and right at all angles and levels. Your looking for the best length shaft on each side that won't bind or pop out. It makes it easier than trying to measure with a tape. Normally the inner cv's will give you a little latitude of error ...maybe as much as 10mm.

Edited by DomCr250, 18 January 2016 - 09:21 PM.

#26 cookie4343

cookie4343

• Traders
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

Yes best thing to do is assemble the inner and outer cv's without their drive shafts. Then take a length of round wood as a dummy driveshaft and pop it in. Then manually move the suspension up and down and left and right at all angles and levels. Your looking for the best length shaft on each side that won't bind or pop out. It makes it easier than trying to measure with a tape. Normally the inner cv's will give you a little latitude of error ...maybe as much as 10mm.

Cheers for your help mate, the inner cv's on these pug shafts have quite a hefty Spring so should compensate the length slightly

#27 cookie4343

cookie4343

• Traders
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

Managed to sort the gear linkages and got 5 gears and reverse, selector still needs finishing but at least I have the basic shape I need to make the final one as it will need slightly tweaking.

#28 zebigfatman

zebigfatman

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Local Club: Snowdon minis

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:32 AM

Nice going! Slightly jealous everybody seems to have a good shell and can start bolting on all the interesting stuff straight away. Will defo be watching this thread :)

#29 John H

John H

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

Citreon engine conversion here:- http://www.turbomini...p=vt&tid=513074

#30 cookie4343

cookie4343

• Traders
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:36 PM

Citreon engine conversion here:- http://www.turbomini...p=vt&tid=513074

Seen this on on eBay last year, not sure if it sold or not, thanks for the link some of the pictures might help me out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users