Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 29 March 2021 - 10:21 AM

working on image posting...

Edited by Richard_, 29 March 2021 - 10:25 AM.

#47 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:46 PM

Test image

C8mAHyIl.jpg

Well that seemed to work. Image shows new ( but old) grille repainted, refinished wheels on, New nimbus grey arches. The grille is not 100% correct - I had to 'fashion' a badge for it.

The windscreen trim came out as it had gone pale brown - Ive got the right tool but couldn't get the new strip in even on a hot day. Will need some help here.

Edited by Richard_, 29 March 2021 - 03:14 PM.

#48 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:58 PM

Slight fuel leakage problem with HS4.
This developed when I was sliding the choke in and out to free it up on the bench .
think the tube had hardened enough to cause the jet to refuse to seat down - then eventually broke under strain..

CKxX26Ql.jpg

Here's the overhauled unit on the new manifold - new waxstat jet and stage 1 needle installed. Relatively simple!

eAMIddCl.jpg

And here's the new exhaust manifold gliding smoothly into place with plenty of clearance and no swearing at all. :D

YmxbS4dl.jpg

Edited by Richard_, 07 April 2021 - 08:14 PM.

#49 toromod

toromod

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:30 PM

I also use Paints4u,good quality and service.I think fairly priced for real known brands.Steve..

I doubt I'll be using Paints4u, I started an order for 4 Yukon Grey 400ml aerosols which came to approx £55, fair enough but ... when I continued to placing the order delivery to my address in the NW of Scotland came to £62.99 ! Gulp! swiftly followed by Cancel!

#50 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:47 PM

Did you manage to get your paint sorted?

#51 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 04:10 PM

The original grille looks good - re the grille badge, Sticky Fingers can do you one with the correct design (i.e black rectangle with the word MINI on it). The site has one with the Austin logo in the background behind MINI, but just ask for that to be missed out - it's what I did for my 89 and it turned out fine.

#52 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 07:23 PM

Yes I got a badge from sticky fingers as well. I just had to make a backing for it.I did get some paint but I haven't used it yet.
Not much progress this week.
Even thought the clocks went forward it still gets dark too early on a work day! Never mind easter is here.
Next job is bleed the brakes and put the exhaust on.

Edited by Richard_, 31 March 2021 - 07:24 PM.

#53 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 10:57 PM

I pulled out the foam soundproofing from the bulkhead. The bay now looks better, it's easier to trace wiring, find rust etc and I can't believe it achieves much in terms of noise reduction. Might renew it eventually.

Edited by Richard_, 07 April 2021 - 08:25 PM.

#54 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:20 PM

Thought I'd be clever and suck the air out of the brakes with a vac pump I use on motorcycles. Turned out too hard to get a seal on the nipple. Eazibleed on order. Got the new st1 exhaust mostly on. Am I right the front mounting is direct to the diff I.e. no rubber? Surely that tends to stress the manifold unless everything lined up perfectly?

Slight detour in proceedings while I figure out what this electrical device is: hidden behind the radiator.
Looks like some sort of heat-sink and a big fuse-holder.

brtGZHEl.jpg

Googling the serial number reveals it to be the dip/dim system.
I never realised the car had this. But I suppose its useful!?

Edited by Richard_, 08 April 2021 - 08:22 PM.

#55 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:07 PM

Hi,

My mum bought one exactly like this in March 1989 for, if i remember right, £4795.

This was the first mini to be produced with a white roof from the factory since the original Coopers, and it got us a really dramatic amount of attention as we drove around in it. People would regularly stop to talk about it. People forget just how significant this limited edition is, and sadly very few indeed are in anything like original condition.

I remember the battle to keep the wheel covers looking neat and keeping their fragile clips attached!

Good luck with it and enjoy.

#56 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:22 PM

The dim/dip was so useful it was very soon discontinued.A relic of a law which never happened.Steve..

#57 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:32 PM

Hi,

My mum bought one exactly like this in March 1989 for, if i remember right, £4795.

This was the first mini to be produced with a white roof from the factory since the original Coopers, and it got us a really dramatic amount of attention as we drove around in it. People would regularly stop to talk about it. People forget just how significant this limited edition is, and sadly very few indeed are in anything like original condition.

I remember the battle to keep the wheel covers looking neat and keeping their fragile clips attached!

Yes this one was purchased by my mum in 1989. She didn't know which colour to choose and I urged her to go for the dark green. (She was quite keen on the rose edition.) I didn't know I would one day own the car but I'm pleased she chose this colour! Any ideas how I can find out the paint code for the white wheel covers?

Edited by Richard_, 11 May 2021 - 11:34 PM.

#58 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:17 AM

Hi,

Yes this one was purchased by my mum in 1988. She didn't know which colour to choose and I urged her to go for the dark green. (She was quite keen on the rose edition.) I didn't know I would one day own the car but I'm pleased she chose this colour! Any ideas how I can find out the paint code for the white wheel covers?

The white wheel covers are just the standard White Diamond (NMN). I have just had mine (and my spare set) resprayed in 2K. I think the bodyshop thought I was mad...

#59 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:21 AM

The original owner of my Racing bought it at the end of March 1989. He paid £3000 cash and traded in a Mini 25 notionally worth £2125.

#60 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:10 AM

The original owner of my Racing bought it at the end of March 1989. He paid £3000 cash and traded in a Mini 25 notionally worth £2125.

Yep sounds about right at that price. I had a proper look at the original steel wheels yesterday. They seem to be painted nimbus grey. I'm thinking they might look quite good refinished in that colour and used without the white covers as an option. I do wonder if I made a mistake and the grille really should've been nimbus as well?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users