#46 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:15 PM

You should never use 2K without an air fed mask - it's extremely nasty stuff and damages your lungs. Get yourself to the walk in centre to get checked out.

#47 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

ill be ok, i didnt do that much and i had the door open both ends of the garage..

ive seen a  few masks on ebay not dear

http://www.ebay.co.u...5kAAOSwDk5UExOn

may get one of these ordered.

#48 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:16 PM

2k contains isocyanates, a cousin of cyanide. It can accumulate in your system and do lots of damage.
I agree with panky, get checked out. Bette safe than sorry.
Note that waterbased paints are no good for your health either, always paint with a mask and adequate equipment... Please.

Nice mini by the way! 😁

Edited by MacGyver, 30 September 2017 - 10:17 PM.

#49 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:45 PM

thanks about the mini and the concern!

im ok, not coughed for ages, im ok! i just need to sort a mask out, ill get that one from ebay i think! I think actually the problem was from the filler, the dust! i have masks and will wear them, just i keep forgetting to take them to the garage.

#50 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

Be very careful. That one on ebay is for very short term exposure, it wont last long before fumes will pass through - and you wont smell them.

#51 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:34 AM

Be very careful. That one on ebay is for very short term exposure, it wont last long before fumes will pass through - and you wont smell them.

Agreed. I have one similar to the one on eBay which I use for very small blow in jobs where I am in and out.

Anything more than that and I use my air fed.

If you don't have the facilities to use 2k at home then simply do not use it.

Without proper filtered extraction, you can damage the health of your neighbours and their pets and you really don't want that on you. Trust me

#52 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:49 PM

ok, so today i rubber the bonnet down, the primer was really rough, and painted it !

I know about the fumes, i wore a dust mask and also i had the front and rear door of the garage  open, and i could not smell a thing.

IMG_2332.JPG

looks ok but a bit orange peal, so ill flat it next week probably.

Edited by Avtovaz, 21 January 2018 - 08:07 PM.

#53 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:30 AM

I can't believe how calm you're staying about this poison.

STOP using the 2K paint without proper kit.

IT WILL F UP YOUR LIFE.

once the damage is done, there is no way of reversing it, if you live that is !

#54 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:08 PM

so little update, im still alive.

Got my welding gas sorted, i had a nearly empty bottle, and had a go at welding a few bits on the bonnet and boot, and it welded really well. So i got a bottle of Co2, it was £50 deposit, and £15 a fill, from boss gas ltd in wigan. They deliver to work, which was good as i didnt have to go and get it!

IMG_2352.JPG

Want to get the bonnet back on the car , car is still outside atm under cover but id like the bonnet on it again in case something happens.

So i had already primed it, so i wet flatted it, and painted it today.

IMG_2353.JPG

IMG_2354.JPG

I think itll wet sand up fine, but im not 100% sure as ive never got this far really before LOL!

Only other news is the mini 30, i set the timing again today with my strobe. I put it on the gun to 4 degs and set the timing to 0 on the engine, and it was not right, i thought that if you set it on the gun then you set to 0 on the car. So i set it to 0 on the gun and 4 on the car, and it starts fine now it seems. Its going for MOT on tuesday, im sure itll pass, but you never know ! Then its for sale and my mini can live in the garage and i can finally crack on with it.

Edited by Avtovaz, 21 January 2018 - 08:09 PM.

#55 Wild

Wild

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

Ouch my local gas supplier does there own co2 bottles, Think from memory it was £10 deposit for the bottle and £15.75 for a refill. Looks about the same size too might want to have a look around for someone who refills fire extinguishers for next time   :thumbsup:

#56 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

thats either 9 or 10 ltr, same as a pub bottle but different shape... you get teh £50 back when you return teh bottle

Edited by Avtovaz, 14 October 2017 - 07:49 PM.

#57 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:48 PM

Right, so no updates for a while, and that has been as ive not done much to my car, but mini work is being done.

First the 30 went to a gal in Newcastle upon Tyne. I put in the advert that its only done 20 miles since 2011, and she came, bought it and drove it home LOL! Was impressed, She has been on to me today asking for history and saying that "gurty" is happy and well. So made up for her, car was cheep, but id rather she had it than someone paying the full asking price and not looking after it.

So, 30 gone, we have garage space! Before my car goes in, i thought id finisht eh long turm project car the van, this is my brother s mates, and i said id do anything it needed for a set price plus the parts. OMG have i lost out ont his one but its been fun.  Its in the garage now, had to redo some work on it, its been outside under a tarp for 5 years now, its ok like, but rust was starting to set in on teh floors again, so ive got it on stands, stripped one side off, red oxide primed it, used some celly paint i had on that, and scotched it off again for stone chipped it. Hopefulyl that wills or it out for a bit. Also, its not the best of vans, but ive made some bits for it, liek this is the dash board and door cards ive made and are in progress...

IMG_2458.JPG

IMG_2459.JPG

IMG_2460.JPG

This is grey board from ebay, this will be covered with dark grey speaker carpet, and i think itll look quite good. Owner is made up so far!

Got to sort the back doors out as they have started to rot again! get teh engine running properly, think its missing a bit due to its been standing, fit carpet, respray the back doors and roof, paint the other side of the floor underneath, ive only done one side so far. I have since its been in the garage, fitted new static seat belts, mounted the battery, made the dash, had the tank off as it had a problem with it, made some rear brake pipes, fitted new rear flexis, stripped and painted teh bumpers black again, and probably more. Not that much left to do so i can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

My car, is still outside, ive bought 8.4 discs for it instead of the 7.5, and lost of other little bits like badges for the engine, a new grill of the right type, and a few other bits...

i have also tidied the the garage out, moved my compressor and put foam around it, put up shelves, and started to paint the floor! So lots happening, but when my car gets in there, itll be lots of progress fast.

thanks for reading.

Edited by Avtovaz, 21 January 2018 - 08:14 PM.

#58 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

mini van dash complete!

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

even im impressed with it!

now, i was hosting my pics on facebook and they didnt like it, so ive had to go back threw the whole thread and edit the pics so it points to web space my brother has set up for me. now, looking back, i can see a few mistakes ive done already, like that boot lid, ive another one now, but i want as little filler in this car as possible. the roof also, that will come off again, and more prep needed to get the old skin out more, and also ill repair the gutters with the roof off..

The filler i was using on that boot lid was maybe 10 years old too, newer stuff i have now is completely different. But ive learned even though ill bin that boot lid.

Also, the bit about my breathing, 2k mask i use now when im painting anything, the coughing, ive been for a x-ray and im 100% fine, its stomach acid reflux. thought so but i know 100% now.

so where are we at with the van? It wants brakes bleeding, roof painting, but ill eave that till teh summer, rear carpet fitting, spare wheel mount sorting, o/s floor needs stripping and painting, number plates, general check of the motor, and tyres. Its not a million miles away from being able to outside again and i can get my car in finally. maybe 2-3 months as ive a rally comming up and maybe have to take the motor out and get it stripped and rebuilt.

So, pics lost was a pain, but then ive reviewed what im doing, and i was doing bits wrong, i want it to be perfect when its done. thanks for reading

#59 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:42 PM

Right, the mini van is done!!! well almost, it needs a brake light switch, 5 tyres, and a mot, this will be done in the next week or so, but it took a  lot longer than i thought! It is now outside under a cover, and my mini is finally at its home!

IMG_2595.JPG

First job i took the engine out, it was half way there, but not out. Simple enough took me 30 mins

IMG_2597.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

I also started stripping bits off it i dont want, like its got the wrong back lights in it, chrome bumpers, etc etc,

IMG_2618.JPG

Ive got all the bits i need, i was buying them as i saw them when i was doing the van...

So i looked at teh car in a bit more detail, it needs, 2 wings, front panel, 2 a panels, 2 door skins, 2 sills/inner sills, back part of the boot floor, 2 rear wheel arches, roof and gutters sorting, i am sure the subframe heal board is not so good too. Looking at it i was unsure which part to do first, but atm as i have no money as the bmw has rapidly ate into this with its new motor, itll be the roof!

So was looking at it, i had started to plug weld it on, and thought i hadnt done a good job on the prep, water had got in under teh cover, basically it wants taking off and cleaning up and putting on correctly after repairing the gutters.

and i found this!

IMG_2619.JPG

When i had started to plug weld it on, most of the welds hadnt taken! i could not believe it, ive ground some out there, but now i look underneath again, and im not rushing to get it on, i can see why. Bad prep, and just rushing it. So i only got a bit of it off today, and will have another go tomorrow. I want this car to look right, not look like its been bodged together, so ill start this again.

#60 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:37 AM

Nice work, the minis are coming along nicely. Also thats a very good price on the gas its half what I pay for a swap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users