78 replies to this topic

#16 blueovalcraig

blueovalcraig

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

Like it.  The colour scheme reminds me of my old rugby team.  Our strips were the same blue and yellow.

#17 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

Like it.  The colour scheme reminds me of my old rugby team.  Our strips were the same blue and yellow.

That's good.. i thought it looked a bit girly in yellow .. but rugby team is a better analogy. Maybe with some semi slicks on the tyres and RC40 exhaust, it'll be more masculine.. and less like a flippin banana..

#18 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:02 AM

Banana yellow?.... some blue?.... It's a Minion-mobile :P 

#19 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:16 AM

chrome headlight surrounds it works on every level.. love it.

#20 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

the car was flame red out of the factory.... one day it will return .. :0)

#21 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

Some posts on here say that it takes a couple of hours to get the engine out... well it took me a couple of hours every night since Tuesday.. in the dark with an LED floodlight.. on the front driveway where all neighbours drop by for a chat.

All the nuts and bolts were seized and needed a few days to soak in penetrating fluid. I wanted to take out the front sub frame, so needed a huge socket for the tower mounts and a few six-point sockets for nuts that looked like they'd round off.

Anyway by Saturday it was ready, so I went to MiniSpares for a heritage full heel board, heritage outer sills for both sides and inner sills for sides, with jacking points for good measure.

Jamie from Little Legends in Canvey will hopefully fit these as it is proper pro-job --not for my skills with a hobby MIG & plasma cutter from Machine Mart....

My friend Matt and Geoff-the-man-with-the-hoist came, pulled out the engine and dropped the front subbie... 

I couldn't be happier !!

... but now there is an awful lot of stuff to refurb.... And on that topic I'm looking forward to original steel wheels from another Jamie (MegaMini) in Wellingborough in a couple of weeks :0)    And maybe with original 1988 wheel hubs & wheelnuts too --so retro-very-cool !! 

No more Banana yellow Minions from "Despicable Me" in my Mini ... it's going back to basics.. Thanks for looking at my post.

Attached Files

#22 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

I was intending to leave the subframe in mine for panel work alignment but changed my mind when all the steering and suspension bits were corroded to it in the wheel arches. For future reference you can remove both fixed together by lifting the car off the complete subframe and engine block still bolted together.

the reverse applies too for the rebuild. May prove easier with those engine mounts.

Edited by 73MkIII, 22 October 2017 - 01:18 PM.

#23 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:57 PM

Awesome little mini, you say no more little yellow mini what colour will this be going? it looks pretty solid :)

#24 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:21 PM

Awesome little mini, you say no more little yellow mini what colour will this be going? it looks pretty solid :)

Thanks Minimissions,  I bought a compressor a while ago, intending to paint my Triumph Spitfire in cellulose. It'll take me a few years but once done, the Mini might be next. I'd love to take it back to original colour-- Flame Red.

Tonight I was stripping the underside with a hot air gun. After rust-proofing and priming, I might paint the underside red.   

Small steps.. 

#25 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:36 AM

Thanks Minimissions,  I bought a compressor a while ago, intending to paint my Triumph Spitfire in cellulose. It'll take me a few years but once done, the Mini might be next. I'd love to take it back to original colour-- Flame Red.

Tonight I was stripping the underside with a hot air gun. After rust-proofing and priming, I might paint the underside red.   

Small steps..

Flame red is a great colour I would defo be going back to that. I hope that you get it done soon :)

#26 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:45 AM

thanks minimissions -- Flame Red will replace the banana yellow some day .. 

Which steering wheel should go on?

--Modern blue one is on now

--I just got the original spec 1988 Mini City E one .. 

Attached Files

#27 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:39 PM

Original post removed!

According to the April 2000 Mini World mag the City E 2 spoke steering wheel was replaced by the 4 spoke steering wheel from Nov 1985. I can't find any proof of this so i will dig a little deeper & get back to you.

Sorted :techsupport:

1988 Brochure http://www.roblightb...alyst-book.html

middle column bottom image -4 spoke steering wheel fitted .

http://www.somerford...page=page&id=51

http://www.somerford...roducts_id=3099

FAM4443 wheel & Nam6180 badge on the pad.

look out for one like this:

https://www.ebay.co....8oAAOSw7H1ZlVw3

(if you can't find the exact one you can change the badge).

Edited by Itsaminithing, 25 October 2017 - 10:07 PM.

#28 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:54 PM

Ouch ... http://www.automobil...ini_city_e.html

Here's another site that says the same as you.. 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get the 4-spoke and sell or store the two spoke steering wheel

Thanks again !

Edited by ga2davt, 26 October 2017 - 06:27 AM.

#29 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:22 PM

I'd forgotten about that site: shame your link doesn't work (& the site won't let me look around without disabling my ad-blocker or making a donation!).

#30 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:03 PM

Sorry about the internet link .. i'm not the best with computers and internet (or cars...) 

When I got the car I sent off for the BMH Heritage certificate, but they said that they didn't have the factory records for my car.... so i need to rely on the VIN plate.

I then bought a handbook for Mini City E, dated 1985 and it had the two spoke steering wheel in there --- hence the mistake!!!!! I'm keeping an eye out for a four spoke steering wheel now.

It's nice to see photos... this shows my cars now. There's a red Toyota MR2 (built in 2000) that is my only car that works. The Mini is jacked up high with no front or rear sub-frame so I can prepare underneath... I scraped off underseal etc since the weekend and today dropped my hair into the remains on the driveway... I've been picking underseal lumps off my head for the last hour...

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users