Miniature

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:34 PM

1993 Mini Mayfair 1.3 carb

Hi All,

I was driving my mini down a small road in my estate yesterday, and started hearing a VERY loud metal scraping noise as I drove.  The noise sounded like metal scraping on metal, or scraping on a lumpy rough surface.  It was not a smooth squeal, but a clunky crunchy scraping sound.  I am struggling to identify exactly where the noise is coming from as it only occurs whilst I am moving (and at that point I am in my car so cannot move around to find the noise).  My immediate reaction when I heard it was "oh great, my exhaust has fallen off again and is scraping along the ground as I drive" - but when I got out and checked my exhaust looked fine (and has only been replaced a few weeks ago so should be in good condition).  From within the car it sounds like it is coming from the front somewhere, but I am not sure if it is in the engine area or something to do with the wheels.

The noise only happens when I am moving, even at 1mph though.  If I am stopped with my engine idle or whilst revving the noise doesn't happen, but the second I start moving it becomes ear-piercingly loud.  It happens both moving forward and in reverse.  When the noise is happening I can feel rumbling and slight jolting movement in my clutch pedal.  I have not noticed any difference in the noise if I am breaking or turning, although once it started making the noise I didn't want to drive it too far to test these things.

I haven't had a chance to take the wheels off yet, as my car is now temporarily abandoned on a nearby road and I will need to move it to flatter ground to jack it up and look closer.  I tried limping it down the road to a better place when it happened, but the noise was just so loud and overwhelming that I was worried about driving it too far, and didn't want my engine to explode or something more serious to happen due to me driving a broken car.

I am not sure what to look for.  I can check the obvious things like making sure there is not a stone stuck in my breaks, or check if an obvious part of my break has broken. 

Does anyone have any other ideas of things I should check?

Would a gearbox problem create a noise like this?  If so, how would I test to confirm it is the gearbox?

Are there any other engine problems that would cause a noise only when driving, or does the fact that there is no noise when idling mean that it is not likely to be an engine problem?

What other wheel/break relate problems might cause such a loud and horrible noise?  I know that wheel bearings can create a knocking noise, and break problems often create a squeal, but this noise doesn't fit either of those problems in my opinion.

Is there anything else in general I should be checking/looking for?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully someone can help me to at least identify if this is going to be a "tow it to a garage to get fixed" problem or something I could identify/fix myself at the side of the road.

I have tried to find a similar video online to show you the noise, but haven't found anything even remotely as loud and metally/crunchy as what I am hearing.  I should be able to grab a video later tonight off my dash cam if it picked it up, so I will add that later once I have finished work and got hold of the video.

#2 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

I was thinking stone in a brake disc shield or maybe a wheel bearing colapsed...they make a horrendous racket.

Not sure that would be felt through the clutch...? 

I would be jacking the front wheels up and turning them by hand, if there is nothing then its probably internal. 

The video will be interesting

You could always turn the radio up...lol

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

My first thought was possibly the brake pads have worn down the metal backings (the pads are always slightly in contact with the disks even when not braking), and that is what's causing the metal on metal grinding.

Although that wouldn't account for the clutch judder, so may well be either the clutch plate has worn down to the rivets, release bearing has failed or something else has gone wrong.

#4 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:11 PM

driveshaft couplings scraping the gearbox maybe ?

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:28 PM

These were my initial thoughts too

or maybe a wheel bearing colapsed...they make a horrendous racket.

You could always turn the radio up...lol

#6 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:46 PM

Engine mount failed and driveshaft rubbing the subframe perhaps

Merv

#7 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:23 PM

Had with my mini the spring clip that holds the pads in scratch on the disc

#8 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:20 PM

Exhaust on the floor?

Seriously though wheel bearings can make all sorts of a racket. Jack it up a wheel at a time and give them a spin you will soon find your issue.

#9 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:19 PM

Is it a creaking noise?

If so then it could be the cone shaped washer under the front hub castle nuts, I've had to remove these and grease them in the past.

#10 InnoCOOPER

InnoCOOPER

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 06:22 PM

Had with my mini the spring clip that holds the pads in scratch on the disc

I did as well. had to file chamfer the inner edges. Stopped the noise

#11 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:59 AM

I had a return spring break once in the rear.
I hope it is nothing expensive

#12 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 June 2022 - 02:31 PM

I would visit the disc shields first as it is easy and cheap.Steve..

#13 Cooper Mac

Cooper Mac

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:29 PM

Maybe a stone caught between the brake disc and the caliper or stone guard? I've had this before and sounded like something like the exhaust was dragging along the ground!

#14 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 23 June 2022 - 05:31 PM

Why do the posting dates on this thread start in March 2018 and suddenly jump to June 2022?

#15 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 05:57 PM

Why do the posting dates on this thread start in March 2018 and suddenly jump to June 2022?

Holy thread revival batman!
I wonder if he ever got to the bottom of it?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes, engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users