#227 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 04:29 PM

still chipping away at it when i can...

kad viscous damper - as per the instructions, some gentle warming may be required to aid fitting  :ohno:

JeK55xr.jpg

fitted and TDC marked on the pulley.  flywheel&clutch assembly fitted along with a MED heavy duty clutch arm etc

ApGYsa9.jpg

calverst 1.4 rocker assembly cleaned 

e4FR6Fd.jpg

...and assembled

zZlFK8R.jpg

likewise the cylinder head; disassembled, thoroughly cleaned

yHTrK43.jpg

..reassembled and fitted

J0NVily.jpg

#228 evoderby

evoderby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 09:17 AM

Nice build! I noticed you have chosen a turbo oil pump, hopefully you have checked it is not one of the dodgy ones of lately? If not do a search, would be a shame to end up with zero oil pressure now that you can still relatively easily inspect/replace the pump with the engine out. Both KAD and Swiftune do a nice pump to close tolerances…

#229 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 10:41 AM

Nice build! I noticed you have chosen a turbo oil pump, hopefully you have checked it is not one of the dodgy ones of lately? If not do a search, would be a shame to end up with zero oil pressure now that you can still relatively easily inspect/replace the pump with the engine out. Both KAD and Swiftune do a nice pump to close tolerances…

cheers - what's the issue with the pumps ? i've done a quick search but can't anything of note

#230 evoderby

evoderby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 09:10 PM

http://www.turbomini...id=581351&fr=50

Issue has been remedied according to Minispares but it’s always better to be safe than sorry….

#231 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 10:46 PM

very interesting, and thanks for the link - i've got the powerflow pump fitted, which from that thread doesn't seem to exhibit the same issue, but does appear to be fairly marginal in terms of gasket seating so will have to consider my options i think...

#232 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 08:47 PM

Good call.

Stripped it down, and this is what i found; there's a very narrow section of seal between the high pressure port of the pump and the cam tunnel, and on the low pressure side the port appears to overlap the cam tunnel.  

jDszFLR.jpg

#233 evoderby

evoderby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 03:44 AM

OMG….very glad you’ve caught this in time! 

#234 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 07:39 PM

so, new oil pump fitted, and rather than go through the additional grief of splitting the box from the block to measure up the idler gear end-float, i ordered a 4" extension for the DTI so i could measure from the front;  4thou will do for me

8B2LvzY.jpg

with the flywheel refitted i could offer up the starter motor to check engagement of the pinion in the ring gear - this is what it looks like with the pinion fully extended

rHCjcbg.jpg

could probably do with a little more engagement in the ring gear, but as there's only 3mm clearance between the nose of the pinion and the ring gear at rest there's not a much room for improvement anyway

next job on the list was to try and get the radiator cowling better aligned to the fan - as you can see the cowling is not centred on the fan, but what you can't see is that cowling is also twisted

aEKemHi.jpg

..after a bit of trial end error moving the lower bracket around, it's now much improved

ArL95cv.jpg

mounting for the coil pack also finshed off and the HT leads that came with the ignition system shortened and re-terminated 

3l3qjMo.jpg

trial fit of the inlet & exhaust manifolds for good measure  :proud:

TcZGdWk.jpg

#235 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 06 March 2022 - 08:26 PM

..it's been a whole month since the last update, but due to work and family commitments, not a great deal of progress has been made in that time.  the engine is pretty much ready to fit, but before i do that i want to get the brake system filled and bled,  and am just waiting on a few parts to come back from the machine shop before i can tackle that job

in the meantime, i'd been having some concerns about whether the fuel regulator/filter unit was going to interfere with the ITG air filter assembly i'm intending to use.  Apart from relocating the unit to another position, the only other option was to try and rotate the filter body 90degrees to give another inch or so clearance to where the air filter assembly will go

so with a few prayers to the gods of small things, i got out the files and started removing metal.

PGRpiLN.jpg

wQweCo2.jpg

3cnSccr.jpg

OzPHrgq.jpg

Another job ticked off the list was to give the new (old) speedo an overhaul. I'm not entirely sure what this would have been fitted to originally

<EDIT :  found this handy reference, which tells me the speedo would have come from a Mk II 998 Cooper >

the original chrome surround was fairly heavily pitted, so switched that with a slightly better one.  dismantled the odometer and gave it all a good clean before reassembly & reset, and whilst it was all apart gave the clock faces a clean.  

duUSY7r.jpg

..and on the basis that you can never have too much soundproofing in a mini; using up the last of the sound deadening felt to line the upper bulkhead, and making a hell of mess whilst doing so !!

FkNs1Nz.jpg

Edited by KTS, 05 September 2022 - 12:41 PM.

#236 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 07 March 2022 - 08:27 AM

Have you got the right speedo drive gears for your final drive & that speedo? It’s worth checking before you put the engine in (don’t ask me why I know!)

#237 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 08:59 AM

Have you got the right speedo drive gears for your final drive & that speedo? It’s worth checking before you put the engine in (don’t ask me why I know!)

yep - managed to source a 7/18 worm and pinion set which according to the guessworks calculator should be right.   

#238 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 07 March 2022 - 09:18 AM

Ok that’s good, I’ve got the same 7/18 gears and it reads perfectly with a 3.44 diff and 1408tpm speedo

Can’t be too much left to finish off now?

#239 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 11:06 AM

still quite a few bits to do;  once the engine is in i'll need to finish off the engine bay wiring looms and run the main battery & earth feeds, hang the exhaust, fit the lambda sensor and run the loom to the gauge, fit and connect the auxiliary fan & sensor.  on the interior i've got some additional wiring for dash cams to do, and also try and figure out what to do about trimming the doors - my plan is to build some pockets out of aluminium sheet that i can drop into the doors with half cards above, but at the moment it's still just in my head 

#240 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 13 March 2022 - 10:59 PM

Picked up the bits from the machine shop friday which meant i could get on with filling and bleeding the brakes

i'd heard good reviews of the goodridge speed bleeders, but whilst researching them came across some Stahlbus products that i thought were a better design, so put them on my christmas list  

UKbokVc.jpg

The 3/8" ones for the calipers were a straight fit, but the 1/4" ones for the rear cylinders needed shortening, as i found out when i stripped the thread on the first wheel cylinder i fitted it to  >_<

as well as the bleed valve they also do a neat vacuum bellows that does a great job of sucking the brake fluid through the system for the initial fill, and is also great for topping up the master cylinders without the risk of spilling brake fluid.

VVbLYk9.jpg

once the brakes were sorted, the engine went in  :proud:

ncu8Ndw.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pickup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users