KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 01:13 PM

that'll do for me.....for now

wxEQXx7.jpg

not all good news though;  fuel tank needs to come out to fix a leak around the sender, and the drivers door has dropped on its hinges...

#348 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 27 July 2023 - 03:12 PM

Really nice. 1293?

#349 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 03:46 PM

Kent 266 with a Calver Sport cylinder head &1.4:1 rockers and Canems ignition system

#350 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 04:00 PM

Good return that. Bet it feels very lively.
3.1?

#351 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 04:04 PM

Good return that. Bet it feels very lively.
3.1?

#352 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 04:56 PM

diff is 3.44:1

not driven it yet;  hopefully i'll get an opportunity at the weekend to get acqauinted..

#353 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 06:12 PM

that'll do for me.....for now

wxEQXx7.jpg

not all good news though; fuel tank needs to come out to fix a leak around the sender, and the drivers door has dropped on its hinges...

My sender leaked as well. Turns out I don't think I ever nipped the bolts up.
Half a turn each and it was all sorted

#354 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 27 July 2023 - 08:56 PM

I'm going to get my new project to a rolling road at some point, so for my understanding, do these numbers mean that 98/97 engine bhp only gives 55 wheel bhp - is that normal to lose 40+hp? (assume that is what the "drag power" figure is) 

How does that work across other minis; for example my 998 I assume only has about 40-ish engine BHP - If that lost 40bhp it would mean I haven't got anything at the wheels, surely that's impossible - Have I misunderstood something?

Is it a percentage? so (rounding a bit for simplicity) for 100bhp with 40 bhp loss its 40% therefore 40% loss from 40bhp is 16 so I've got 24 wheel bhp in my 998? 

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the loss?

#355 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 09:55 PM

as I understood it, the drag power is made up the drag of both the rolling road and the vehicle drivetrain and the simple rule was to add half of the drag power figure to the wheel power figure to get an idea of the power at the wheels.

On that basis, 20bhp or 20% of total was 'lost' driving the gearbox on that run

Whether that number is representative of all manual gearboxes across all models, or whether they are a function of power/torque levels I have no idea..

#356 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 03:18 PM

now back on more typical activities with these cars;  fixing things  O_O

fuel leak sorted with a new gasket and Permatex No.2 on the gasket faces and under the screw heads

OnZfLgu.jpg

stripped and removed the drivers door to get at hinges to figure out was going on and found the thread had stripped on two of the fasteners;  one stud and one of the screws, in both cases because they were too short

made up a longer stud and as the thread in the hinge was slightly suspect (..where i'd drilled the old stud out) used a bit of high strength threadlock for a bit of peace of mind, and refitted the door.  

not taking any chances when wrestling the door card back in, so propped the door to avoid loading the hinges

lYquDA1.jpg

Unfortunately still waiting for the insurers to sort themselves out before i can take it on the road; fingers crossed that'll be resolved in the next couple of days...

#357 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 30 July 2023 - 07:48 PM

Must check the gauge flange on my tank.  There is a smell of fuel, but I have checked all the pipework joints and there are no leaks.

But I did not check the flange, I bet there is a slight leak on that.

#358 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 10:20 AM

well;  finally managed to get the insurance sorted out, so took it out for a shakedown run yesterday evening 

There's a few rattles that need chasing down and the heater control needs a bit of tweaking but other than that it was all good; car handles nicely and pulls well and keeps it's temperature pretty well

on the way home presented with an ideal opportunity to see what it could do off the line, so wasn't going to pass that up.

Edited by KTS, 17 August 2023 - 06:51 PM.

#359 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 02:43 PM

well;  finally managed to get the insurance sorted out, so took it out for a shakedown run yesterday evening 

There's a few rattles that need chasing down and the heater control needs a bit of tweaking but other than that it was all good; car handles nicely and pulls well and keeps it's temperature pretty well

on the way home presented with an ideal opportunity to see what it could do off the line, so wasn't going to pass that up.

https://youtu.be/XqOWL14WUX0

lovely! really took off smoothly!  :gimme:

#360 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 02:57 PM

https://youtu.be/XqOWL14WUX0

lovely! really took off smoothly!  :gimme:

yep - pulls very nicely.  there's a little bit of judder when engaging the clutch at low revs,  not sure whether that's a consequence of a lightened flywheel and crank and/or an orange diaphragm, but doesn't happen when booting it  ;D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pickup

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users