#61 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 13 April 2020 - 11:46 AM

I have a pick up. A baffled tank instead of a swirl pot?

Edited by IronmanG, 13 April 2020 - 04:38 PM.

#62 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:33 PM

not a great deal of progress made on the pickup recently as the Management decided it was high time the patio was given a makeover, and i'm waiting for a few bits and pieces to come through before i can finish up the back end and get it re-assembled

anyway, in the meantime, more drilling and folding of stainless plate produces another bracket

qm8FZwN.jpg

..and front-rear brake line fitted - a real pain in the proverbials to fit the bulkhead section, but done now 

wcXAIPn.jpg

H3B5cNx.jpg

Also found that the tailgate was fouling on the rear bumpers so they had to come off and after some gentle persuasion managed to get them to sit low enough for the tailgate to fully open without fouling.  unfortunately they now face down, so need to get that sorted

ZIsnDmG.jpg

..and then figure out how to adjust the tailgate hangers so they support the tailgate evenly.  at the moment with the nearside fully extended, the offside isn't providing any support.

Edited by KTS, 03 May 2020 - 06:34 PM.

#63 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:08 PM

At shows seen a few with the bumpers in that position

#64 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:29 PM

At shows seen a few with the bumpers in that position

that's interesting, and kind of reassuring to know you're not the only one coming across this type of thing.  cheers 

#65 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:00 PM

an unexpected surprise today - the engineering shop i'd asked to knock up some bits are back up and running and rang to let me know they were ready  :proud:

Ftwcr8n.jpg 

#66 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:55 PM

Oh,what are they for?

#67 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:11 PM

Oh,what are they for?

spreader plates for load bay tie-downs and a couple of blanking plates for the pedal box cut outs - it'll make sense i promise  :D

#68 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:07 PM

spent a bit more time fettling the tail gate and rear bumpers, and they're all sitting a bit more square now - much better. 

Rk1IxjX.jpg

paint arrived friday which meant i could finish finish off the sections on the rear valance that needed touching up

yZtOgQB.jpg

..and fit the load bed lockdowns

MDMzL5V.jpg

and after a liberal dousing of Dintrol ML followed by 3125 into the rear valance, the fuel tank could go back in - hopefully that won't need to come out again now

v6ypCli.jpg

..followed by the rear subframe and a trial fit of the fuel pump and pipework.

uOeiBiZ.jpg

#69 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:45 PM

back to electrics again today as i had a change of heart on the dash layout which meant some re-work of the cabling

the original plan was to re-use the rokee wooden dash and centre binnacle i'd modified to take an extra couple of gauges, but having extracted it from the loft it's in far worse condition than i remember and will need completely refinishing to be usable, so i'll go back to a standard 3 clock centre with a pod for the additional gauges on the drivers side.  i've also ditched the padded lower rail and treated myself to a DSN switch panel

lBzjRO1.jpg

whilst re-routing cables for the dash layout i also re-did the front-to-rear loom connections; the first attempt wasn't particularly neat and in an attempt to avoid cutting cables too short had left so much extra in place i couldn't get the loom to sit neatly.  second attempt is much neater - connectors still need heat shrink which will add some bulk, but overall a much better fit 

hOE2W6k.jpg

then re-fitted the steering rack and refitted the front subframe

APDMCAk.jpg

#70 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:10 PM

..back to the electrics again, and time to wrap the cabin portion of the front loom as all the cables are now in place

pulled it out..

KyTlRKv.jpg

..wrapped the main runs, and put it back in again..

dX466yC.jpg

SRfoOzA.jpg

need to come up with a better solution than plastic wedges  O_O

Jp4y4dK.jpg

having got it all back in, then realised i'd forgotten to add the link to the white/brown wire on the centre binnacle connector plug that'll be used to disable the fuel pump when there's no oil pressure....

Bugger 

#71 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 09:49 PM

a case of one step forward and two back this time..

the step forward was finally coming up with a solution to replace the standard heater valve with a diverter type valve to allow a continuous flow of water through the cylinder head take-off when cabin heat isn't selected

started life as a saab9-5 heater bypass valve which is normally vacuum operated, but converted to cable operation

VJhlPri.jpg

one outlet will go to the heater matrix, the other will tee into the water pump return along with the heater return. just have to figure out a suitable mounting for it once the motor is in.

in terms of steps backward : after re-fitting the front subframe i'd noticed the seals around the suspension arms weren't seating properly, and after failing to massage them back into place in-situ decided it would be easier to drop the subframes, pull the arms and re-install

e6Qv8vD.jpg

so..pulled the hubs off and dropped the subframe. again.

dbslEkW.jpg

pulled the top arms out to check them over - this one needs a bit of adjustment

8LsKR0j.jpg

whilst i had the hubs off i thought i'd give them a once over - wasn't expecting to need the big-boy puller to get the hubs off though....

YwVnxoL.jpg

here's the problem - full of paint.

WsBCdIN.jpg

so looks like a full strip down and clean up of the front hubs is on my to-do list..

Edited by KTS, 15 June 2020 - 09:38 PM.

#72 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 05:56 PM

when i pulled the pivot shafts on the front suspension arms the other day they needed hammering out, and were, unsurprisingly, pretty badly scored in the process. fairly alarming seeing as they were new items along with the bearings etc

from this picture so can see where the needle rollers have embedded themselves into the shaft, which apart from anything else makes me wonder whether just effective the heat treatment they received was....  shaft diameter i believe should 19.05mm and they're both under that, so looks like the problem is more likely with the bearings

wG5NllL.jpg

bit the bullet and bought a decent internal bearing extractor and counterstay - not cheap, but makes getting the bearings out a doddle, and because my radius arms have roller bearings at each end will get plenty of use over time

WCIC1RT.jpg

so having got the bearings out the most obvious issue is that with 3 out 4 of them, the needles rollers are locked solid, and the one that does have some movement is really rough.

i've already ordered replacement (branded) bearings, but will also need to find where i can get decent quality pivot shafts...

#73 domdee

domdee

Formally known as dominicdee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Local Club: hull clubs on FB

Posted 17 June 2020 - 02:26 AM

looks like someone is in the aircraft industry looking at that loom work and the bolts on the steering wheel...

#74 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:31 AM

looks like someone is in the aircraft industry looking at that loom work and the bolts on the steering wheel...

thanks for the compliment - i'm actually in IT, but have a background in Signals Engineering and a step-father who worked in civil aviation all his life

#75 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 June 2020 - 12:07 PM

I cannot think why the factory fitted roller bearings on the front arms as the rotation must be measured in single degrees concentrating the load in a small area,but then I am not an engineer.Nice work.Steve..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pickup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users