Photo
- - - - -

Mk1 Cooper Build From A Mk4 (Inc Mk1 Doors)

roundnose

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 Ytrewq

Ytrewq

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:35 AM

Hi, hope that you and your dad are well.

Hi 

Thank you for asking really appreciate that, we’re good thanks;). Hope you’re well also in these tricky times and coping. 

The pandemic has stopped us at the moment from progress on the mini because the car is in my dads garage, dad is just about to turn 80 and my mam has just finished cancer treatments so it’s too risky being close to them. Hopefully things will change in the not to distant future. 

In the meantime I have a 205 Gti that I’m building into a track car in my garage at home, so I’ll do a bit on that and maybe do a couple of videos on YouTube for it. I’ve just finished making a trolley for it so I’ll do a video of that first. 

Take care. 

#62 Stealth72

Stealth72

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:06 PM

Hi, glad that your mum & dad are well.
Your 205 looks interesting, I’m pretty sure that you had the engine the “wrong by way around”, are you going rear wheel drive with it?

#63 Ytrewq

Ytrewq

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 06:37 PM

Hi, glad that your mum & dad are well.
Your 205 looks interesting, I’m pretty sure that you had the engine the “wrong by way around”, are you going rear wheel drive with it?

Hi yeah there’re good thanks, keeping an eye on them :-)  

I hope you’re all well and staying safe. 

I Just have a little update or bit of entertainment I wanted to share with you on the jig we made for our Classic mini Mk1 build, not sure if you may have seen our rotisserie jig build for the mini but here it a little 8 minutes time lapse of it being made. 

Take car and stay safe :-)

#64 Ytrewq

Ytrewq

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:41 PM

Hello everyone, 

I hope you’re all coping well.

It’s has been quite a while since the last Classic Mini Mk1 Conversion update, but I’m happy to say we’re back on it again, taking care with the social distances rules and being very careful. We’re really excited and looking forward to getting back to it in full swing, but for now here’s it a little update on where it is right now and the next steps. 

YouTube Video link: 

https://youtu.be/k4Jz5qnj5sU

Edited by Ytrewq, 28 June 2020 - 11:28 AM.

#65 Ytrewq

Ytrewq

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:41 PM

How it going everyone, hope you’re having a great weekend. 

We’ve been working hard on our Classic Mini Mk1 Conversion again, this time we’ve been getting some new part, made a couple of repairs, uncovering quite a bit of rot and replacing it with solid metal. So all in all we’ve been quite busy. Here is our latest episode of this below 

YouTube link below.

http://youtu.be/bqtIPcgbDfE

#66 Ytrewq

Ytrewq

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 03:26 PM

Good afternoon everyone, I hope you’re all well and enjoying your weekend. 

In this next Classic Mini Mk1 Conversion episode the floor is completely removed of all its rust, new seamlessly fitted and a new Mini Mk1 sill fitted on the opposite side, we also take a look at the next step in the Mk1 conversion. I hope you enjoy the episode, take care. 

YouTube link:   https://youtu.be/d_KVTiAy7bs

Edited by Ytrewq, 26 July 2020 - 03:32 PM.

#67 Ytrewq

Ytrewq

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:45 PM

Evening veryone

We have another update on our Classic Mini Mk1 Conversion, a bit of a strip down ready for new panels. So in this episode we get all the spot welds drilled out and the second inner wing all carefully removed. Also a little bit of repair work on the rear panel. 

Here is the link to this episode:

http://youtu.be/lADX0eOPGf8

#68 Ytrewq

Ytrewq

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 11:15 AM

Afternoon everyone, 

It’s Classic Mini Mk1 Conversion UPbuild update time.

In this episode we take a trip to MiniSpares and M-Machine and collect our New Parts including the new heritage Mk1 inner wing panel and get this fitted to the Mini. This is the first step in the Mini Mk1 conversion to house the Mini Mk1 doors with external hinges etc. 

Here is the link below to the episode:

https://youtu.be/lENk7aNZRE8

#69 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 04:06 PM

I watched the door conversion update yesterday. I’ve been very impressed by the standard or work and attention to detail. Lovely to see your old dad enjoying doing his bit too. We lost my FIL almost 3 years ago at 83 so It’s great to see your dad so keen to do his bit and fit enough to do so.
Well done. I applaud you both.

Just realised you have an Instagram account. Just added you and look forward to the updates.

Edited by exuptoy, 17 August 2020 - 04:13 PM.

#70 Ytrewq

Ytrewq

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 05:44 PM

I watched the door conversion update yesterday. I’ve been very impressed by the standard or work and attention to detail. Lovely to see your old dad enjoying doing his bit too. We lost my FIL almost 3 years ago at 83 so It’s great to see your dad so keen to do his bit and fit enough to do so.
Well done. I applaud you both.

Just realised you have an Instagram account. Just added you and look forward to the updates.

Hi! Massive thank you for that I really appreciate it. We’re having a great time working on it and working through the challenge of converting it over to the Mk1. I am sorry to here about you losing your Dad, I hope you have some fond memories working with your Dad too. 

Take care 

Mark. 

#71 Kaj

Kaj

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 07:42 PM

Hi Mark,I've watched several of your videos and your fabrication work is very impressive, especially doing it on the driveway!
The only thing that I think will spoil the build will be the section above the doors. It looks to stand out like a sore thumb.
Did you consider extending the door frame to fit the gap and fitting perspex windows due to the difference in the glass size?

Sorry to be critical but for the effort you are putting in I think this would be more convincing as an early car.

#72 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 09:47 AM

He mentions he's yet to fill in above the doors, and presumably do similar above the quarter windows.

It will take some real anorak time to tell this from a pukka mk1 by the time it is finished!

#73 Ytrewq

Ytrewq

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 01:11 PM

Hi Mark,I've watched several of your videos and your fabrication work is very impressive, especially doing it on the driveway!
The only thing that I think will spoil the build will be the section above the doors. It looks to stand out like a sore thumb.
Did you consider extending the door frame to fit the gap and fitting perspex windows due to the difference in the glass size?

Sorry to be critical but for the effort you are putting in I think this would be more convincing as an early car.

Hi! Cheers for the comment . Sorry for delay in reply. That’s an interesting thought, I don’t imagine it would be any less work, probably more in fact to lower the roof, but the Mk1 shell is the same size, only with smaller doors so has a piece of metal above the doors and rear quarter windows. The way we’re fitting the doors with that infill panel and the infill above the rear quarter windows will make it look perfectly the same as a Mk1, which is what we’re going for.

I would like to fit the original glass in the doors too.

He mentions he's yet to fill in above the doors, and presumably do similar above the quarter windows.

It will take some real anorak time to tell this from a pukka mk1 by the time it is finished!

cheers for your reply to this question as you say we’ll be lowering the rear quarter windows to match the front, just need to sauce the glass to work off for making the infill panels. 

cheers 

#74 Ytrewq

Ytrewq

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 01:14 PM

Hi! everyone. 

This is my next update on the progress. 

In this Classic Mini Mk1 Conversion episode this week, we fit the external hinges to our 1989 Mk4 Classic Mini. The early Mk1 and Mk2 classic Mini’s had the iconic design of external hinges fitted to their small and light weight doors. The Mk1 and Mk2 doors are quite a bit smaller in size and shape to the newer mk3 onward classic Mini doors, they are also quite a bit lighter in weight as they don’t carry any mechanism for a wind up window. This also cuts down on the amount of metal needed to support this design, so as you will notice in the video, the Mk1 doors are a lot more simple in design. 

In this episode you will see some of the work and fabrication needed to fit the 1960’s external hinged Classic Mini Mk1 doors, to a newer Mk3 onward Mini, there’s still quite a bit of work needed in fabrication of the A pillar and B pillar but this will follow in the next episodes. 

Here is the link to our YouTube episode:

https://youtu.be/pgkPHv6l4NY

cheers 

Mark.  

#75 Ytrewq

Ytrewq

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:31 PM

Evening everyone 

It’s Classic Mini Mk1 Conversion update time. 

In the episode this week we fabricate a Mk1 door pillar from scratch on our 1989 Mk4 Classic Mini. 

Checkout the link below to this next episode:

https://youtu.be/PTEZEgOqcio

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users