69 replies to this topic

#16 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:14 PM

Usually painted separately.  I filled my with waxoil (or similar) before fitting with stainless clips and then some mastic at the top to seal the hole by the gutter.

I have seen it done where the seams are blown in with a couple of top coats, then the finishers bonded on, sealed at the top and then the car painted properly.  Good unless you need to remove them at a later date!

#17 teveo

teveo

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:35 PM

Body back from painter, hope to start putting the car together after Christmas.

Attached File  IMG_6715.jpeg   72.25K   4 downloads

#18 teveo

teveo

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 11:36 PM

Today I lifted the tub off the pallet cart and put it on the QuickJack, hope there is enough room to mount the front and rear subframes.  

Looks like the rear is better to mount with most of the parts mounted into the subframe.  In the front I see that some mount the engine in the frame before installing but it should be fine to install later on as well I suppose. Primary goal is to get the car rolling right now.

Trying to find a few forum threads with advice on mounting the subframes, suggestions are welcome :) 

Attached File  IMG_6731.jpeg   100.32K   9 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6732.jpeg   67.9K   8 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6733.jpeg   68.48K   5 downloads

#19 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 07:17 AM

Are you going to repaint the underside black to remove the overspray? I would do that before mounting subframes.

Everything is harder to install with subframes on the car lol

#20 evoderby

evoderby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 11:50 AM

FREEZE MIAMI VICE!

Sorry, just had to say that.  :xmas: 

Edited by evoderby, 29 December 2020 - 11:53 AM.

#21 teveo

teveo

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:05 PM

Thanks, regarding underbody and overspray - I am planning to use the car for Rallies, dreaming about Monte Carlo 2022 and I suppose I will get under the car with a can of POR-15 and brush on the worst areas. The underbody has POR-15 - rubberized coating and POR-15 on top now and should be well protected.

Testarossa is silver  but it could double in for that famous white one, at least at this time of the year. Engine out service and I am using the savings of doing the job myself getting and building this MK2 Cooper.  :highfive:

#22 teveo

teveo

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:19 AM

Wheels, tyres and brakes showed up this past week. I had forgot to order suspension knuckles and some minor parts but those should be here by late next week. 

I will install the steering rack first, but from there is there anything that is a MUST do before raising the frames?

Plan to build up the front and rear frames up to brakes. Brakes go on when the frames are installed to keep the frame weight down.

I suppose the 1968 front frame mount direct to the chassi?  There are kits including rubber mounts but those are only for the later cars, right? 

Attached File  IMG_6815.jpeg   91.97K   11 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6816.jpeg   50.72K   14 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6819.jpeg   80.84K   10 downloads

#23 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:29 AM

Front to rear brake pipe, fuel line come up in-between body and subframe so maybe get them attached in roughly the correct position so you can still have enough slack to make adjustments

#24 teveo

teveo

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:44 PM

Thanks! I will look into that.

Considering getting a good "workshop" manual, any ideas? I used to buy Haynes manuals back in the days, mostly using Internet nowadays but nothing beats a good manual, perfect for those Tea or Coffee brakes in between the work. 

#25 teveo

teveo

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:48 AM

Still waiting for more chassi parts before I can start mounting subframes and time to think about interior. I have quite a few pieces though.

Front area, I have the dash surrounds, the piece for the shelv and the padded piece below.

What about the top of dash with the vents, is it only vinyl or should it be padded with a little foam? I have black vinyl on roll.

Attached File  IMG_6824.jpeg   74.68K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6827.jpeg   37.37K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6832.jpeg   76.69K   0 downloads

Rear of car. I have the parcel shelf and the pieces that go down in the outer sides. What about the pieces I put where the rear seat go, what would that be?

I need to get the side panels and rear seats if I find a used set.

Attached File  IMG_6826.jpeg   41.44K   1 downloads

Doors are fine, everything is there.

Attached File  IMG_6828.jpeg   39.1K   0 downloads

Headliner and surroundings seem complete.

Attached File  IMG_6829.jpeg   70.22K   1 downloads

In the front I was thinking about reupholstering 2 old König seats I have and use these.

Attached File  IMG_6833.jpeg   86.61K   2 downloads

Edited by teveo, 27 January 2021 - 03:03 PM.

#26 teveo

teveo

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:50 AM

OK, trying to read up on these cars but they are so different from what else I am used to. Anyway, got the knuckles and started building frames. Planning to install front frame today.

Status on frame: 

• I found out it was hydrolastic frame (smaller bolt on towers), considered re-threading but maybe better leave as is and use the smaller bolts. Any suggestions?
  • The rear mounting holes are quite big for the bolt size.  
    • enlarge holes in body and user bigger bolts
    • or use a small washer (very slim lockwasher will fit) to fill out the subframe holes
    • or just accept large holes as is? 
  • Large metal spacers: since I bought this project non complete these large spacers were missing. I have read that the spacers rest on top of subframe towers, is this correct and what is up and down on these? They have a protrusion on one side. Ref photo, the wood represent "chassi/bulkhead", is this correct?

Thanks and have a great weekend! 

Attached File  IMG_6851.jpeg   50.02K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6852.jpeg   38.92K   3 downloads

#27 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 09:46 AM

You don't use the spacer on a hydro subframe - the towers are slightly taller

#28 teveo

teveo

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:25 PM

Thank you Graeme, appreciate it.

Front suspension frame is in, the installation went fine. Should have installed the shock mounts first but it took a little fiddling and they went in.

The upper holes had threaded block welded to chassi, lower screws were installed with nuts and a large washer. 

Could not proceed with front hubs,  I do not have a deep socket 38 MM and could not torque down the ball-joints. Will try to get one tomorrow and finish up the front suspension enough to put on the wheels.

Have started putting the rear frame together, need to read up on what to install before mounting to car. Looks like I am missing some handbrake related items though.  I did not install the long brake pipe or fuel line for now, hope this will be doable on a 2 post lift later on. Have to get clips and mounting hardware before I can install those lines.

Frame is not very heavy but the lifts was quite handy.

Attached File  IMG_6853.jpeg   81K   0 downloads

Good fit, a little force needed to get one of the front (9/16 head) bolts in, did not shim but looks like I need to shim before tightening the 2 front bolts.

Attached File  IMG_6855.jpeg   56.79K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6856.jpeg   49.22K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6857.jpeg   60.79K   1 downloads

Next task is getting the rear subframe ready enough to be mounted.

Attached File  IMG_6854.jpeg   71.42K   1 downloads

It's a joy to work on this little car!

#29 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 06:46 PM

...it's like meccano for grown ups  :proud:   

#30 teveo

teveo

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 08:24 AM

Yesterday turned into tweaking day. I started out with a more or less completed rear subframe, ready to raise and install. Ended up tearing it down, tweaking and adjusting the frame alone and finally it went in.

The aftermarket pivot bolts does not bottom out but they have nyloc nuts and I suppose this is the way it is. Now I just have to mount radius arms again but this time with frame on car. Tomorrow I'll be getting a 38 mm open spanner, tighten down the ball-joints up front, have the new tires mounted and balanced.  

The Quickjack  (lift) is quite good for the mini, it may be a bit long with the wheels on but we will see. If so jack could be moved further under the car and lift on frame.

Attached File  IMG_6860.jpeg   86.42K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6861.jpeg   68.6K   3 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users