I should take that down now...

#857 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 10 February 2024 - 12:49 PM

Back to work today, but first I'll make an update on something I did 2-3 weeks ago but did not post.

Completed the scuttle panel repair, with the A-posts welding. Some photos below:

eMO6hHw.jpeg

XtEAMG7.jpeg

fcZPtWm.jpeg

E70DsxU.jpeg

And same stuff on the other side.

KjtyMmG.jpeg

KxoNqz4.jpeg

auzpCbj.jpeg

Cheers.

Victor.

#858 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 10 February 2024 - 12:59 PM

Another roof repair started today. First cutting the panel from the donor roof...

HFdKcbH.jpeg

Then cleaning up the gutter and other bits I don't need.

qJtJ6Oq.jpeg

FCPSxDP.jpeg

Repair panel in place to mark-up the cutting line.

H4jpTxO.jpeg

JKnzUsa.jpeg

Then cut and cleaning up the rest of the old roof panel.

e4mYUmK.jpeg

o2pNnwh.jpeg

And finally clamped in position and ready to be welded in!

mrDMquV.jpeg

ZFA79S8.jpeg

I'll try to get it welded this afternoon, if it is not raining...

Cheers.

Victor.

#859 Verderad

Verderad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 02:30 PM

The picture from inside makes that gap look quite wide. 
Do you have the car on roll over still?   
You could back the gap with copper, I ask if its on the jig as having the copper on the outside would help with finish and less grinding where it can be seen. 

I doubt you would want to work upside down.  

#860 Eggers

Eggers

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 10:50 PM

Viktor, can't tell you how glad I am that you haven't sold your car. Shame about the house move, but you have put so much hard work and time into the car, I think you would've regretted it forever if you had sold it. Didn't want to say anything when I texted you, as I didn't feel it was my place- it's your car, your decision, but really glad you have kept it and are keeping on going!

Looking forward to seeing more progress, and if you ever need a hand lifting stuff etc, I'm just down the road, so just ask! Also need to give you your lifting brackets back- my engine is now on a stand, so I should drop them off to you at some point.

#861 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 12:09 PM

The picture from inside makes that gap look quite wide. 
Do you have the car on roll over still?   
You could back the gap with copper, I ask if its on the jig as having the copper on the outside would help with finish and less grinding where it can be seen. 

I doubt you would want to work upside down.  

Hi Darren, the car is off the jig now, so I can get the front end and wings in. I have welded the other roof patches from outside, just because it is easier and more comfortable to do. The gap is about right, but I will use the copper plates to back it up when welding.

I'm just waiting for a weekend with no rain, as I have the garaje fully packed with stuff, so in order to work on the car, I need to take lots of things out, which I can't leave under the rain...

Hopefully soon???

Cheers.

#862 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 12:13 PM

Viktor, can't tell you how glad I am that you haven't sold your car. Shame about the house move, but you have put so much hard work and time into the car, I think you would've regretted it forever if you had sold it. Didn't want to say anything when I texted you, as I didn't feel it was my place- it's your car, your decision, but really glad you have kept it and are keeping on going!

Looking forward to seeing more progress, and if you ever need a hand lifting stuff etc, I'm just down the road, so just ask! Also need to give you your lifting brackets back- my engine is now on a stand, so I should drop them off to you at some point.

Cheers Will, I'm so glad now that I haven't sold the car. Now I'm even more determined to finish it and enjoy it. We are still thinking on moving house, but we are going to take it easy for the next few months.

Thanks for the offer mate, I might need a hand soon, so I'll give you a shout. Don't worry about the brackets, I'm not going to need them anytime soon, so you can use them if you want to drop the engine back into the car. Let me know if you need a hand...

#863 Eggers

Eggers

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 09:44 PM

Cheers Will, I'm so glad now that I haven't sold the car. Now I'm even more determined to finish it and enjoy it. We are still thinking on moving house, but we are going to take it easy for the next few months.

Thanks for the offer mate, I might need a hand soon, so I'll give you a shout. Don't worry about the brackets, I'm not going to need them anytime soon, so you can use them if you want to drop the engine back into the car. Let me know if you need a hand...

I picked up an A series lifting bar from a guy selling a few bits I needed, so I won't need them any more. Progress has been slow for me, as not had the time due to other commitments, weather, dayight, etc, but getting back to it now. I'm also hoping to move house soon, so finances will also be tight. Currently making myself a rollover jig, so hopefully I can start on the metalwork soon!

#864 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 06:51 PM

That sounds great Will, the jig really helped me with the bodywork. As you well know, welding upside down is far from ideal...

Back to the garage today and managed to get the roof repair welded, although I still need to do a bit of grinding. However, the belt sander has given up today, so I would need to buy another one... ~It would be the third one already! ;)

Some photos of the process:, starting point as I left it a month ago...

605CIbF.jpeg

Some welds in between the clamps to avoid distortion.

KvLBHZf.jpeg

Then clamps out.

9eZlAVs.jpeg

Then more welding.

xFKTRBZ.jpeg

And finally filling the gaps in between welds.

JvQxcm7.jpeg

I started grinding with the angle grinder, although it would need some more fine grinding to get the required finish.

KWRJqHh.jpeg

It is not finished, but looking good already!

Xhddlm2.jpeg

I still need to spot weld the edge along the gutter, but that's an easy one hopefully for next week!

Cheers.

Victor.

#865 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 01:50 PM

Viktor,

You have to weld the whole join between the new scuttle and A pillar, not just a couple of blobs of weld.

auzpCbj.jpeg

#866 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 05:03 PM

Viktor,

You have to weld the whole join between the new scuttle and A pillar, not just a couple of blobs of weld.

auzpCbj.jpeg

Thanks Pete, I will go over that again and make sure is fully welded.

Cheers.

#867 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 06:45 PM

Fresh new metal arrived this week. Really looking forward to get these in place!

mhn4Id5.jpeg

Cheers.

Victor.

#868 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 07:54 PM

dog keeping an eye on the mini for you ?

#869 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 06:29 AM

HI Stuart, Chunky is always watching! ;)

Anyone can recommend a good post in this forum or a YouTube video for the installation of the front end, wings and A-panels?

Thanks in advance!

Victor.

#870 Jarvis_SPI

Jarvis_SPI

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 02:52 PM

Simpson's Classics -

Classic Mini Worksop - The Moment of Truth: Will The Front End Fit Properly? Classic Mini Workshop - Racing Green Pt.37 (youtube.com)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users