126 replies to this topic

#46 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 09:14 PM

All things considered, it's quite a fair offer from SC I think.

If your happy paying the above then fair enough, but you probably could have them on the sale of goods act, and even get some money back.

Shooter

I agree with both of you to a degree. I had mixed feelings at first but I do think it's fair the more I think about it. Plus I don't want to go burning any bridges as I have good relationship with them.

Another way of looking at it is that I was planning on putting the car on a rolling road anyway to get an idea of power. This way I won't need to, and it will probably work out cheaper in the long run.

Edited by Chris1992, 07 January 2021 - 12:46 AM.

#47 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 05 January 2021 - 09:39 PM

TBf Chris, mine took 3.5hrs mapping as was around £350, so considering its being picked up and collected aint that bad, hopefully sorts it! 

#48 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:19 PM

The price is I think very reasonable.You are paying for their experience more than anything.Did they offer you a plug and play engine?Good luck.Steve..

#49 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 06 January 2021 - 08:14 AM

Yes I think if you didnt specify it to be running they literally screw the bits together.
Be nice to see the dyno chart when it comes back and let us know how it runs

#50 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:54 PM

Considering you'll put their Dyno out of action for the majority of the day, I think thats a great deal!

#51 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:31 AM

Hi guys, just another little update.

I pulled the engine out over the weekend. Rang SC on Monday morning to let them know it was ready, and they had a courier at my house that very afternoon. It arrived safe and sound yesterday, and they've begun getting it ready to go on the dyno some time next week.

The engine came out easily enough, the only tricky bits were the Y piece on the manifold not budging for hours, and also as I pulled the engine on the crane over the slam panel, the crane dropped and took a large chunk of paint off the slam panel, so I'll have to respray that. Not the end of the world as is needed a tidy up in that area anyway, but just a bit of a pain.  

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted on progress. 

Edited by Chris1992, 13 January 2021 - 09:34 AM.

#52 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:07 PM

Good job Chris hope it goes well and you get 120 on the dyno👍

#53 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:30 AM

Good job Chris hope it goes well and you get 120 on the dyno

Thanks mate, I'd be chuffed with anything around that number!

#54 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 07:32 PM

How did this all work out then, all back in and running?

Shooter

#55 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:21 AM

Shooter

Not quite yet. I was going to wait until then to do one post summing everything up, but I may as well update you all. SC collected and delivered the engine back no problems, super fast service. I was a little bit disappointed that they tried to charge me an extra 90 quid for shipping though, but after a discussion we compromised and I paid the shipping for one way, and SC paid the other. Ended up being £475 altogether including the shipping and VAT (I always forget to ask about VAT), instead of £350. They also didn't fully run the engine in or do any power runs, due to keeping the time on the dyno down. They hadn't explicitly promised me they would do this, but I had sort of expected them to. Bit of a bummer but no big deal.  

I have the engine back now. Turns out it was the throttle bodies completely out of sync. I never touched the actual mechanisms on them, as John had advised to leave them as they were from BMW. I did however unscrew them from their mounting rails so I could paint them individually. For those unfamiliar, they simply snap together with spring loaded clips, which can be further adjusted. John recons that even just removing them from the mounting rails upset the balance, which makes sense I guess. This had the effect of essentially blocking off air to 2 cylinders, and with the higher compression the engine just couldn't fire on the other 2. I kick myself for not being able to spot this myself...

From what John tells me, it fired up first time when they put it on the dyno, but it ran horribly. After that they couldn't get it to fire at all for a while, with the same symptoms I had described to them. This was when they started playing with the TBs, and after a few adjustments, in John's words, it ran 'like a Swiss watch'. They let it run for a good while, but said that due to how well dialed in the LT cams are from BMW, they don't need to be fully run it. I expect it was also to get it off the dyno quickly. 

I got the engine back safe and sound on Friday, but it's been too cold for me to even think about working on the car, but with the warmer weather coming now, I hope to have it back in by the weekend, and running hopefully early next week. I'll hold full judgement until I hear the engine start for myself, but despite the hiccups, I'm still satisfied with how SC have handled the situation. 

I'll keep you all posted on progress.  

Edited by Chris1992, 15 February 2021 - 09:25 AM.

#56 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 12:49 PM

Having played with setting up K1200TB's a the weekend, they can be a complete ball ache!

I can see why Jon says not touch them, but really they do need checking at least. theres a bit of a trick to setting them which seems to be...

adjust no3  first ( 2nd from left) as all the others link to this one.

next do on 4 ( far left,

then no2

then no 1 ( far right)

then reset idle, which involves opening the throttle each time (so key off)

then go through it all again.

and again,

and probably 3-4 more times.

#57 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:48 PM

Having played with setting up K1200TB's a the weekend, they can be a complete ball ache!

I can see why Jon says not touch them, but really they do need checking at least. theres a bit of a trick to setting them which seems to be...

adjust no3  first ( 2nd from left) as all the others link to this one.

next do on 4 ( far left,

then no2

then no 1 ( far right)

then reset idle, which involves opening the throttle each time (so key off)

then go through it all again.

and again,

and probably 3-4 more times.

Ah right that's very interesting! Thanks for the tip, no doubt I'll need to refer to this one day in the future! 

#58 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, was trying to set them up and rept making it worese and worse!, and it want until we pulled them off i spotted the linage didnt work how i thought LOL

also... if youve got a set of 2 or 4 vac gauges... actually check they all read the same before you start!! lol

#59 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 08:11 PM

Shooter

Not quite yet. I was going to wait until then to do one post summing everything up, but I may as well update you all. SC collected and delivered the engine back no problems, super fast service. I was a little bit disappointed that they tried to charge me an extra 90 quid for shipping though, but after a discussion we compromised and I paid the shipping for one way, and SC paid the other. Ended up being £475 altogether including the shipping and VAT (I always forget to ask about VAT), instead of £350. They also didn't fully run the engine in or do any power runs, due to keeping the time on the dyno down. They hadn't explicitly promised me they would do this, but I had sort of expected them to. Bit of a bummer but no big deal.  

I have the engine back now. Turns out it was the throttle bodies completely out of sync. I never touched the actual mechanisms on them, as John had advised to leave them as they were from BMW. I did however unscrew them from their mounting rails so I could paint them individually. For those unfamiliar, they simply snap together with spring loaded clips, which can be further adjusted. John recons that even just removing them from the mounting rails upset the balance, which makes sense I guess. This had the effect of essentially blocking off air to 2 cylinders, and with the higher compression the engine just couldn't fire on the other 2. I kick myself for not being able to spot this myself...

From what John tells me, it fired up first time when they put it on the dyno, but it ran horribly. After that they couldn't get it to fire at all for a while, with the same symptoms I had described to them. This was when they started playing with the TBs, and after a few adjustments, in John's words, it ran 'like a Swiss watch'. They let it run for a good while, but said that due to how well dialed in the LT cams are from BMW, they don't need to be fully run it. I expect it was also to get it off the dyno quickly. 

I got the engine back safe and sound on Friday, but it's been too cold for me to even think about working on the car, but with the warmer weather coming now, I hope to have it back in by the weekend, and running hopefully early next week. I'll hold full judgement until I hear the engine start for myself, but despite the hiccups, I'm still satisfied with how SC have handled the situation. 

I'll keep you all posted on progress.

I'm glad its going well, but if you had used the old fag paper trick on the throttle bodies it would have shown the problem up😬, as you're local once all this covid stuff is under control, I wouldn't mine having a decent peek under the bonnet etc

Shooter

Shooter

#60 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:39 PM

I'm glad its going well, but if you had used the old fag paper trick on the throttle bodies it would have shown the problem up, as you're local once all this covid stuff is under control, I wouldn't mine having a decent peek under the bonnet etc

Shooter

Shooter

I did  :cry: but admittedly not very thoroughly as I was so certain that the issue was something bigger like cam timing or ECU gremlins. I'm still remaining apprehensive until I've actually got the engine back in the car to see for myself if it really is fixed. 

Yes of course mate, you're more than welcome to come and have a nose around up close. I may even bring the car to you if it's a nice day and you're not too far  :mrcool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users