On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:02 PM

Hi all,

Car: 1996 Mini SPI

After some help please...!

I have bought this fuel filter GFE7119 (searching this on MiniSpares brings up the ‘new’ code of GFE7059) and have noticed that the metal fuel line from the fuel tank to the filter is quite rusty and I’m concerned that it’ll break /bend when unscrewing the unions from the old filter to fit the new filter.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can source a new metal fuel line to fit?

Mini spares have the part I need but says it’s for MPI injection?? The part it refers to for SPIs doesn’t exist! https://www.minispar...|Back to search

Is the swapping of this filter and fuel line something that a novice with little experience would be able to do with jack stands and standard garage tools?

The purpose of swapping it out is that I know it hasn’t been swapped in 9 years and the car sometimes hesitates on acceleration when you put your foot down - hoping this solves it! If anyone has other ideas about why it would do this (besides vac lines) please let me know!

Thanks all!

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:15 PM

Get yourself the diagnostic plug to dig the codes from THE ECU

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:17 PM

https://www.ebay.co....redirect=mobile

Mems 1.3 (round 3 pin plug) you then need a USB to micro usb(or equivalent to plug into your ouone, then download MEMS lite or MEMS diag for £7-8.

Also YouTube DB Mini DIY a Scotsman with an spi, there's no instructional video on the kit above

Edited by cal844, 25 February 2021 - 10:19 PM.

#4 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:35 AM

If the filter hasn't been changed for nine years you definitely need to change it. If the (unavailable) steel fuel line leading to the filter is corroded you may want to consider swapping to a 'normal' inline filter and replacing the steel line with rubber fuel hose (using injection spec hose). An easy job, keeping the existing fuel filter bracket that attaches to the subframe. There are a couple of threads on this forum providing more details. I'll try and find them.

#5 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:42 AM

https://www.theminif...i/?fromsearch=1

#6 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:43 AM

I would recommend Carrying out the mod in the thread above too, have done mine. I would put good money on your screwed connections being seized solid, mine were. Filter change now is cheaper and far quicker for me. The filter I use is a pretty generic one that fits citroens and vauxhalls.

Edited by humph, 26 February 2021 - 07:44 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users