#16 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 November 2021 - 10:01 PM

Regarding the end float do you mean some sideways movement of the linkage between the carbs. Do I get that by loosening the nuts either end of the linkage.

Yes, that's what it is. You get that by loosening one of the Forks on that linkage and sliding it along the Shaft a little. If there's still no end float, the shaft could be too long and need a whisker filled off it.

#17 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 10:16 AM

A problem I used to get with the twin carb set up giving erratic idle settings was that the carbs were not mounted correctly, by this I mean the spindles were not truly aligned. The mounting studs allow enough play for this to happen effectively allowing the spindles to bind against each other therefore not always returning to the same rest position. This was never as obvious on used carbs as there was always a bit of slop in the bushing but as you say your carbs are new and therefore a bit more unforgiving making the alignment issue more important. Try slackening off the flange mounting nuts and realigning the carbs.

As regards mixture, plug colour is the best way to determine same, start richer rather than weak and tune in. I presume the needles fitted are suitable for your set up, although at idle most of the needles are the same. 

#18 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 12:50 PM

This is very helpful i will start again to make sure the spindles etc are all aligned properly. I know it was a problem fitting the manifold so perhaps its not straight. I turned up the idle a bit and it still stalls so I think its weak mixture. But no point playing with mixtures and needles if carbs are sticking. Its way better than it was but still sticks. Sometimes idle is 900rpm then it sticks at 2200 or stalls.

#19 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:42 AM

Have you checked that your accelerator pedal is moving freely and well greased?

#20 Osgodd

Osgodd

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Local Club: RCMOC - disbanded

Posted 26 November 2021 - 03:10 PM

mine does the sticky carb thing every year when i get it out of storage,, i found it was needle and jets just had loads of residue on them from the petrol evaporating. I take the pots off and squirt carb cleaner down the jets and use a rag to clean the needles,, maybe an old toothbrush too,, put it all back together and seems to work.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users