4 replies to this topic

#1 Peterdb

Peterdb

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 06:50 AM

I have a temperature guage that has been fitted to my Mini dashboard and it has no identifacation on it and it only appears to have just the bulb connection with 2 wires in it.

I have no idea how it's suposed to connect ,

Unfortunatly I cannot see a way of posting a photo of it on this web site can anyone help?

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 15 February 2022 - 11:46 AM

Hi and welcome to TMF. Try and use Imgur as its a free hosting platform. There is a specific BBcode which is the second from bottom when you select your picture you would like to post.

It says BBCode (message boards and forums), hit the copy button and then post here.

#3 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 15 February 2022 - 02:04 PM

My guess would be, one connection goes to the sender unit (which is probably specific to the gauge if an aftermarket unit)  the other is a switched live (when the ignition is in position 2) and then it is earthed via the case to ground.  The illumination bulb is wired up to the lights on circuit Good luck

#4 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 15 February 2022 - 11:44 PM

Typically for older smiths gauges used on the mini (temp and fuel gauges specifically) the live feed is a controlled 10v from the voltage regulator NOT a direct 12v feed (nominally 12v) otherwise as the voltage went up and down so would the temperature on the gauge (or the fuel level)

Earth wire on these types is for the illumination circuit only, as the earthing for the actual temp or fuel level circuit  is done through the sender (which is earthed)  

After market gauges ????? maybe they have voltage regulation built into the gauge so this may all be academic 

#5 Peterdb

Peterdb

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 01:08 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED APARENTLY THIS GUAGE HAS WHAT LOOKED LIKE A WIRE IS IN FACT A LEAD THAT SUPOSED TO HAVE A SENSOR ON THE END BUT IT HAS BEEN CUT OFF SO IT'S USELESS THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT ANYWAY

It is not an electric guage at all

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users