#1 Speakjava

Speakjava

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:37 PM

Hi,

as part of our rebuild (1987 Mini Mayfair), we've stripped down the N/S drive shaft and removed the inner CV joint.

As you can see from the photos there is definite sign of wear on the edges of the inner race.  The ball bearings are fine though, no pitting or scoring.

Before I order new CV joints, I'd just like to check people's opinion on whether this really needs replacing.  I'm pretty sure it is sensible to do this, given we've got everything apart at the moment and a pair of new CV joints are only about 65 quid.

We've also removed the outer CV joint but, since it doesn't come apart as easily as the inner, is there any simple way to check if it needs replacing?

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

Attached Files

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 March 2023 - 07:07 PM

Some say that now you have removed all the balls and split the joint it is essential to replace it unless you have carefully retuned all the parts in their former homes.I would reuse it as catastrophic failure is unlikely.Cynically the new joints may be no better.More experienced persons will advise shortly.Steve..

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 March 2023 - 07:10 PM

Generally, I found with even half decent quality CV, they don't wear much at all as long as the Boots / Gaiters on them are kept in good order. It's usually when these get torn and then driven for a period they wear and quite quickly, as well as making a huge ugly mess.

It's also the when the Cage on them wears that they make the Clicking sound.

With that in mind, is the Cage on yours here still a nice fit over the inner ?

There's nothing in your inner I can see that raises any flags to me.

The outer CV is disassembled by first removing the drive shaft from it, then tilting the inner way over around 90 degrees, such that a ball rises to the outside, if it's all firm, you may need a punch to do this, then removing the ball that comes to the top, then I find it easiest to level off the inner and tilting on the next ball to get that one out, working your way around until all balls are out. Then with the inner still at 90 degrees, with the cage at the same angle, one pair of windows in the cage are longer than the others, spin the cage / inner over until you line up the windows with the outer and it should come out along with the inner. Then turn the inner 90 degrees within the cage, roll it to these longer windows and it too should come out.

Note on reassembly to get the inner the correct way around so that the drive shaft will be retained in it. Most are off set in any case, perhaps take a photo of it after removing the drive shaft.

#4 Speakjava

Speakjava

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I'll go ahead and rebuild the CV joint and use it as is.

Worst case is I have to install new ones later.

#5 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 18 March 2023 - 11:01 PM

You can also swap them from side to side, so the wear from the ball bearings moves to the other side.

I decided to rebuild a pair for mine with new ball bearings and boots and they’ve been working well for a few years

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users