#1 Winston

Winston

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 04:48 AM

Good day to all Miniacs,

I am writing this as a English speaking foreigner in Japan, where I am acquainted with a prominent Classic Mini racing team. We race occasionally at Tsukuba Circuit.

The head mechanic, who is my friend, wishes to know more about the below product; however, my attempts to contact KAD for more information were unsuccessful:

https://kentautodeve...or-16v-a-series

In particular, we wish to know what benefits or added advantages such product would bring to the table for the 5 port 998cc and 1275cc classes. 

Thank you so much for your advice - details would be much appreciated.

Have a good day.

Best regards

Winston 

Edited by Winston, 17 April 2023 - 04:50 AM.

#2 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 12:03 PM

that kit is designed for their 16v headed motors...

the 5 port head has "issues" with injection, basically port robbing screws up the mixture distribution between inner and outer cylinders. the spmpilist way around this is to inject in a single point fashion, basically making an "electronic carb" setup

#3 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,725 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 April 2023 - 02:14 PM

The kit is ignition only,how vital is it to alter the timing curve?,Steve..

#4 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 03:06 PM

In particular, we wish to know what benefits or added advantages such product would bring to the table for the 5 port 998cc and 1275cc classes. 

It will depend on how much of the system you're allowed to use. The Mini Miglias over here are only allowed to use the crank position sensor, but that gives them much more accurate ignition timing than you get with a distributor, engine runs more smoothly, is more drivable and even produces a little more power as you can push the ignition timing closer to the limit without the risk of detonation. There are a number of systems available, they do the same thing, I'd be inclined to see what your competitors are using and go from there.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 April 2023 - 06:06 PM

I won’t comment on those in particular other than it looks like you get everything you need to go.

I have run the original Polestar ignition system and have the latest fitted. You do need to buy other parts and make your own harness.

http://www.polestarsystems.com/

but in general.

as you are removing the Distributor you are removing scatter from the ignition system. You are also gaining clearance in the front of the engine. For things like a front mounted radiator.

the main gain is you can set the ignition to give the advance when and where you need it. You can also add other sensors like temperature and say throttle position which can be used to optimize the ignition timing.

one issue I will mention not all rolling roads like all systems so I would bring in the people who set up the engines as to what they are happy with.

#6 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 07:19 AM

Ah!   totally missed the ignition only part!

#7 Winston

Winston

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 06:37 AM

Good day everyone,

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. I corresponded with the racing team this morning and they have these follow-up questions:

1) We are considering the KAD ignition kit because Polestar does not ship to Japan; however, would Polestar be a better option in terms of performance and cost? We note that the Polestar kit does not have a (a) trigger, (b) pickup, and © ignition coil. Does the Polestar system run simultaneous ignition? We wish to consider our options before committing to the KAD kit. KAD has not replied to our email, but we are aware that our competitors use their kit.

2) We are happy to hear about the crank position and throttle sensors, amongst others. Our experience is confined to the classes we have participated in and we would like to hear more about the usage of these kits at the Mini Miglia or similar events. Any information is appreciated.

Thank you once again for the help.

Best regards

Winston 

#8 rww

rww

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 02:45 PM

Hi Winston,

Have sent you a private message.

Regards,  Richard.

#9 Winston

Winston

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 12:20 AM

Thank you for your informative reply! Very much appreciated. I will convey the information regarding #2 to the team. As for #1, let's see what the other members have to say. Thank you once again!

Hi Winston,

Have sent you a private message.

Regards,  Richard.

#10 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 20 April 2023 - 05:32 AM

As you're in Japan have to considered Haltech ECUs?  Not so far from you and, so I hear, great support.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users