Photo
- - - - -

So I'm A Bit Lost With What To Do With My Engine...

engine

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ryanrjstorey

Ryanrjstorey

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 09:31 PM

Hi all, 

So I have a 1985 Austin Rover Mini Mayfair in for a restoration, which means the engine and gearbox is out. So, it's a perfect time to refurbish and clean them up. The clutch is gone, and some bearing which I think came from the crankshaft appeared in the sump on its last service. The gears are a bit stiff but I wouldn't say it's knackered. I'd love the bay to look really clean, so I can join all the other Mini's at Stanford or Himley and prop open my immaculate engine bay... But I don't really know where to start, and quotes for a rebuild have been quite eye-watering. I'm in the West Midlands, and the local places to me have quoted around £2500 +£1000 for the gearbox. This includes an unleaded conversion.

It's a bit rich for my blood, at least at the moment. I'd love to do it myself, but I just don't have the knowhow myself or anyone around me unfortunately. I've looked at reconditioned engines on eBay (Now sold https://www.ebay.co....emis&media=COPY) but what are the legalities with changing over an engine, will an A+ series affect the stock approach I'm going for for my rebuild, will this affect its value if it ever comes to resale. Does anyone have any contacts or recommendations for people that can help. I'd love to learn from someone, I just have no idea who. 

Many thanks! 

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 September 2023 - 09:40 PM

Ok that advert. 900 pounds for a rebuilt engine and gearbox. I bet it has just had a coat of paint.

re your power unit you need to get it stripped and see what is actually wrong. Or find a power unit that is still in a car that you can evaluate. 

#3 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 September 2023 - 06:25 AM

I agree with Nick and think your safest / cheapest option is to source a running engine you can hear and maybe even select the gears etc.

You could then refurbish your old engine at a later date when funds allow. An engine rebuild isn't really a job to do if you feel your skill levels aren't there yet. Cut your teeth with some basic servicing and build your skills until you think you can tackle the job yourself. 

#4 nev100

nev100

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 September 2023 - 06:37 AM

I can thoroughly recommend watching Bill Sollis video - Building Ultimate 1380 engine. Find it on YouTube.

I've just completed a complete nut and build rebuild and wanted to include the engine and gearbox in that.

I watched that video over and over, and along with taking in as much information from wherever I could find it, managed to do it myself.

The MED YouTube videos are also excellent and Steven at MED is fantastic at helping out with issues I had (I did buy a lot of their stuff....which really is top quality)

It's been hugely satisfying.

Good luck.

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 16 September 2023 - 07:58 AM

Paul Jeffrey's (JPE) isn't too far from you, he does engine and gearbox rebuilds.

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 16 September 2023 - 08:15 AM

If I’m honest - the prices you’ve been quoted don’t seem bad at all

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 September 2023 - 08:24 AM

As said above buying a secondhand engine and gearbox can end in tears and many will no doubt be in no better condition than the unit you already have, other than probably having been cleaned up and painted to look good for a sale to an unsuspecting buyer.

There is no cheap answer other than learning to rebuild it yourself which takes time, a steep learning curve, tools and of course money.

As regards the legalities with changing over an engine there is no problem, if a capacity (cc) increase tell insurance and I think DVLA may want a letter from a garage to say it has been safely upgraded?

A Series or A+ series will unlikely affect your stock approach plan on a 1985 Mini or affect its value if it ever comes to resale. This only tends to affect high value classic Minis like a Mk1 Cooper S where originalty is key to the value.

Edited by mab01uk, 16 September 2023 - 08:25 AM.

#8 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 16 September 2023 - 08:25 AM

Hi all, 

So I have a 1985 Austin Rover Mini Mayfair in for a restoration, which means the engine and gearbox is out. So, it's a perfect time to refurbish and clean them up. The clutch is gone, and some bearing which I think came from the crankshaft appeared in the sump on its last service. The gears are a bit stiff but I wouldn't say it's knackered. I'd love the bay to look really clean, so I can join all the other Mini's at Stanford or Himley and prop open my immaculate engine bay... But I don't really know where to start, and quotes for a rebuild have been quite eye-watering. I'm in the West Midlands, and the local places to me have quoted around £2500 +£1000 for the gearbox. This includes an unleaded conversion.

It's a bit rich for my blood, at least at the moment. I'd love to do it myself, but I just don't have the knowhow myself or anyone around me unfortunately. I've looked at reconditioned engines on eBay (Now sold https://www.ebay.co....emis&media=COPY) but what are the legalities with changing over an engine, will an A+ series affect the stock approach I'm going for for my rebuild, will this affect its value if it ever comes to resale. Does anyone have any contacts or recommendations for people that can help. I'd love to learn from someone, I just have no idea who. 

Many thanks! 

If it's an '85 it should already have an A+ engine.

#9 ac427

ac427

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 16 September 2023 - 09:17 AM

What year did the A+ engine get hardened valve seats for unleaded fuel?

#10 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 16 September 2023 - 10:17 AM

What year did the A+ engine get hardened valve seats for unleaded fuel?

I believe it was 1989

#11 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 September 2023 - 05:44 PM

Our 1988 Mini had to be converted for unleaded petrol.

#12 Ryanrjstorey

Ryanrjstorey

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 September 2023 - 09:37 PM

Paul Jeffrey's (JPE) isn't too far from you, he does engine and gearbox rebuilds.

I’ve heard Paul’s name crop up a few times here. Does anyone know the best way to contact him?

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 September 2023 - 07:15 AM

I’ve heard Paul’s name crop up a few times here. Does anyone know the best way to contact him?

Facebook.

#14 Ryanrjstorey

Ryanrjstorey

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 September 2023 - 02:15 PM

Thank you for all your help, guys! All really insightful knowledge. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users