#46 cornflakes5210

cornflakes5210

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Local Club: sws south wales scoobys

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:22 PM

anyway back to topic any pics of the job so far chicky and if your in a garage board the door up if its not to big and get a dehumidifier to get rid of the moisture. im quite interested in this topic ive never sprayed a car b4 but im thinking of doing mine the same colour as it is. i know theres a feature on doing it. but to read about someone doing it themselves for the first time its nice to find out what problems you come across.
also can someone say about this roller painting is it just like those things you use on the walls. just show a pic of my car looks ok but the doors and back are terrible.
Attached File  the_mini_2.jpg   35.67K   15 downloads
Attached File  the_mini_1.jpg   33.45K   19 downloads
Attached File  the_mini.jpg   34.8K   14 downloads

#47 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:55 PM

also can someone say about this roller painting is it just like those things you use on the walls. just show a pic of my car looks ok but the doors and back are terrible.

The thread i created on the roller painting has ALL the information you need :D but if you mean what kinda of roller do i need- you need a 4" high density foam roller, or a 'gloss' roller.

#48 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:26 AM

I sprayed a section of my car tahiti blue and put a bit of time and effort into it and about a foot square costme about £13 just to see if it looked any good and took me about to days hehe. It turned out a lot better than i expected but i wanted to have a absoloutely MINT looking job as if it had just rolled out of the show room so i took it off and am now investing in a compresor and air tool and all of the stuff to create a amazing paint job. also so that i can change the colour of the car yearly to be extra kool!

It is possible but it just takes time and effort. if you put your back into it and dont give up then yeh its possible.

#49 xchickyx

xchickyx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:36 PM

Guess who's back ;)

Done 3 panels so far and have spend 12 pounds on paint.

Took all of your advice into consideration when doing the other panels Retro, check out the freaking result!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not a single imperfection to be seen, flawless paint job.

it's not going to run off in the rain tho is it? my only worry :dontgetit: But hey, it looks :bah: beautiful!

#50 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:42 PM

Looks like the finis is good but i cant see much from the pics...

Sorry to HIjack but one you finish spraying how do you flat if back and make it shine again, because i have seen cars sprayed brfore and then they have a sory or rippled lumpy finish to the paint.

#51 xchickyx

xchickyx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:56 PM

That lumpy finish is simply down to uneven spraying to be honest, with my bonnet i managed to spill beer on part of the paint job after i did the third coat (smart move) which messed things up a bit but what i did was wet sand it back with 1200 and then do one last coat which worked a treat.

It's a matter of keeping it as even as possible, if you have an overhead light on the part you are spraying you can see which parts of the panel are wet with paint and which are not so it gives you an idea of where you have and haven't sprayed.

I'm getting quite confident with the spraying now, it's true the prep is the key to success.

#52 mad4mins

mad4mins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Local Club: WAMO!

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

wow that paint looks good. i need to spray my bonnet black to yellow... just to clarify did you use laquer after the coats of paint??

#53 xchickyx

xchickyx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:30 PM

No laquer yet ;) Doing that once all the cars painted.

#54 Legend

Legend

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:23 PM

That lumpy finish is simply down to uneven spraying to be honest, .

im guessing hes talking aobut an orange peel effect, this isent down to uneven spraying it can be caused by using to high a pressure or putting the paint on to thick , when u get this u can simply flat it back with wet 2000 then buff up,

#55 xchickyx

xchickyx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:53 PM

it can be caused by using to high a pressure or putting the paint on to thick

And putting the paint on too thick isn't uneven spraying? :(

Ive done the boot aswell now, i think i'm just going to tape up the rest of the car and do it in one go, one coat at a time.

#56 minimarco

minimarco

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:09 PM

That lumpy finish is simply down to uneven spraying to be honest, with my bonnet i managed to spill beer on part of the paint job after i did the third coat (smart move) which messed things up a bit but what i did was wet sand it back with 1200 and then do one last coat which worked a treat.

It's a matter of keeping it as even as possible, if you have an overhead light on the part you are spraying you can see which parts of the panel are wet with paint and which are not so it gives you an idea of where you have and haven't sprayed.

I'm getting quite confident with the spraying now, it's true the prep is the key to success.

haha you sound so much more educated that your posts in the first page

:pat on the back:

#57 Legend

Legend

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:19 PM

it can be caused by using to high a pressure or putting the paint on to thick

And putting the paint on too thick isn't uneven spraying? :xxx:

no, can tell u know very little abot painting and just think because u didnt get a run u know how to spray, patchy paint is uneven spraying,

why dont u go ahead and wax those panels before u put on the lagour :(

#58 xchickyx

xchickyx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:00 PM

And there was me thinking the mini community was a nice friendly one.

And what exactly is lagour anyway?

#59 Legend

Legend

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:00 PM

sorry laquer, and there was me thinking the mini community actually had a brain

#60 Marky Tizz

Marky Tizz

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

Lager he means, but you've done that already right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users