#46 danwebster

danwebster

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

6 x 13 Minators.

Insurance....hehe the renewal notice came through on thursday.....230quid fully comp with protected no claims. Agreed value of 15k.

Todays update is on the way, just downloading the pics.....

#47 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

Insurance....hehe the renewal notice came through on thursday.....230quid fully comp with protected no claims. Agreed value of 15k.

Which insurance company or broker are you with?

#48 danwebster

danwebster

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:32 PM

HIC.

#49 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:33 PM

HIC.

Cheers Dan :xxx:

#50 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

Thats a fapping riddiculous price!!!! Cant believe that! Might see what they offer me when mines back up running.

#51 danwebster

danwebster

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

Righty ho.....today's progress.

Out late last night so I didn't start until 1pm, hence i've only just finished getting done what I wanted to get done today.....namely getting the pistons out to send to KAD for machining.

Started the day by taking the carbs off, taking the top cover off the engine, and checking the available valve clearance. Turns out I have exactly 120thou on the inlets and 187thou on the exhausts. At the moment, running L14 cams which require 120thou of lift at TDC, the exhaust is fine but the inlets are 60thou short as I require 60thou clear air between the valve and piston.

I will be changing the cams though to hotter ones which have more lift at TDC so I think I might need the exhaust taken out as well as the inlet.
Posted Image

With that sorted it was time to take the flywheel off, which came off without too much drama. Clutch plate and friction surfaces on the flywheel (which needed replacing last time) were perfect, almost NO wear on the plate even though its done 3000 miles. Not bad for a paddle plate in this type of engine. Side cover off I inspected the drop gears, which again were fine. Some slight pitting on the teeth but nothing out of the ordinary. Note the end of my crank which got chewed up once previously when the flywheel was fretting on it, always make sure you lap them on nicely.

Posted Image

Next the exhaust manifold came off, followed by the oil cooler, stat and remote filter bits.....then it was time to split the engine from the gearbox and lift the short engine onto the stand.

The box is absolutely spotless, looks like it hasn't even run its that clean. No marks on the dogs either.

Posted Image

Posted Image

With the engine on the stand it was time to strip the head off, which is fairly time consuming. The cam carrier comes off after removing the cams, being careful not to mix the followers as I spent days hand machining the valve top hats to get the tappet clearance right! With that off you can start to unbolt the head from the block. I must admit this was a fairly exciting moment for me for some reason......it was the first time the head has come off the block since I built it so I was looking forward to seeing what it looked like inside and how the headgasket (a 3 layer steel cometic item) had held up.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The pistons were pretty clean as were the combustion chambers....obviously its true what they say about optimax / v power as i've only ever run it on those. What was interesting was the the top layer of the gasket had split across the middle 2 cylinders but it didn't look as if it had burnt across and I certainly never detected anything whilst running the car.

I popped a valve out of an inlet and an exhaust to see how the seats were looking. As expected the inlets were perfect but there was plenty of carbon on the exhausts. Still appeared to be making a good seat though.

Posted Image

With all this done I was able to turn the engine over on the stand and drop the pistons out. All the big end bearings were spotless, but I would expect nothing less. I was reminded what an absolute work of art Arrow rods are too...seems a shame to leave them in the engine when they look so nice :xxx:

Posted Image
Posted Image

So there we go....tomorrow i'll post the pistons to KAD, order some cams, and wait for it all to come back so I can put it back together.....a good days work :)

#52 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:08 PM

So when will it be done :xxx: 2weeks time??

#53 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:10 PM

Nice progress Dan! (must....have.....engine..... :xxx:)

#54 danwebster

danwebster

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:11 PM

The engine will be back together as quick as KAD send me my pistons back with the cutouts machined bigger. What will take more time is the rest of the car as I have a few plans for that too.....

#55 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:24 PM

whats that?

new wheels?New body work? More engine cooling(due to more power)?

#56 danwebster

danwebster

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:30 PM

There a few rust patches that I want to sort properly. Probably looking at 2 new sills, 2 A panels, a rear panel just under the boot, patching the floor where theres a bit of rust. The usual places really.

While i'm at it I want to stitch my cage into the shell as its bolted at the moment, and mess about with a few other things. Couple of months work i reckon because its probably going to involve a respray....colour to be decided.

Definitely no more cooling required, I had to turn the water pump off yesterday morning as I couldn't get it to run hot enough...it was sat at 50°!!!

#57 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:32 PM

larvley! :xxx:

Ur dog box doesn't look very.... er.... doggy tho. As in, the syncros n stuff look similar to normal ones? prahaps more obvious if you compare it to MED's or swiftunes dog kits...

Posted Image

#58 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:32 PM

LMAO. So million dollar question....

ARE YOU DOING THIS?? and if not why not??

#59 danwebster

danwebster

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:37 PM

There are no synchro's in it....what you mean is that its an INVOLUTE dog engagement, which do look similar to a standard synchro assembly. The swifty dogs are called FACE dogs, same as KAD's.

Highly unlikely that i'd drive it that far to be honest.....and I haven't got a trailer. Wouldn't be worth putting 1500 road miles on it - i'd need to rebuild it when I got there LOL!

Edited by danwebster, 01 April 2007 - 08:38 PM.

#60 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:47 PM

lol shame, would be VERY intresting to see it go round the track i mean Puddings over took a 911 last year in his 1330 (i think its a 1330 might be a 1380) but still, imagine what you could toy with lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users