694 replies to this topic

#616 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

Cheers KAM. It's been a mission but there be light at the end of the tunnel. I got power on and after a day of trying to get the laptop working I finally got a mate from a few doors down who is better with computer type stuff and after an hour we found the driver we needed and away we went. Got the laptop out to the car, plugged it in and it loaded the map straight out. Cool stuff. Car is not starting yet but I need to change a few parameters and check over a few things in the light and we'll try again. OMEX do say that the engine may not start without being on the rollers and a professional doing the settings. We'll see how it goes.

Got my leads through cheers again KAM for the link. They are a bit long but will do the job nicely.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#617 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

Bend the leads round the front rather than the back, is a PITA to do but will look much neater then, thats what I did

Hope the start up goes well :thumbsup:

#618 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

Bend the leads round the front rather than the back, is a PITA to do but will look much neater then, thats what I did

Hope the start up goes well :)

Will give it a go mate. Well the car will not start. Have been out there for an two hours today trying different things. I have adjusted the throttle pot to the right readings and got rid of the stupid shear bolts and put my own in so I can undo it if needed in the future. I need to see if the ecu is loosing power when cranking as my next step but the laptop ran out of power and so did the car battery. On charge now so might just sack it off till tomorrow. Stupid technology. Why did I ever go away from carbs :)

#619 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

Why did I ever go away from carbs :techsupport:

Carbs are the way forward, no wait? that ain't right is it? :techsupport:

Just seems like a day where nothing will work, its one of THOSE days........if what OMEX is saying is right then don't despair if you get no joy your end, obviously it would be nice to have it started before going to the rollers, maybe put a cry for help over on 16v?

#620 paul190181

paul190181

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

have you checked weather uve got fuel and spark their because i had this problem with my pug 106 on omex and it would read the standard crank sensor so would allow a spark or fuel

#621 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually Pauls just reminded me, when I had starting issues with mine I was told with the DTA to always check the crank sensor plug first, it looks like it can go on both ways and seem like its fitted properly but isn't, the triangle bit of the clip I think needs to be pointing towards the bulkhead (or the front bumper I can't remember now but will check later) and the wheel sensor sits silly close to the crank, we're talking feeler gauge distance here, don't worry it won't hit the crank and rip it off as they move together and not independently

Just make sure the plug is sitting firmly in there

#622 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

SHE LIVES!!!!!!!

Waited for the rain to end today and got the car out. Checked the power to the ecu when cranking and that was fine. Sat there looking at the laptop for a while and the only thing that grabbed my attention was the fact that there was no indication of start cycle and nothing indicating on spark counts. I had also looked for a spark yesterday and there was nothing. So I thought it must be to do with the crank sensor as that controls the spark. As with the picture of the sensor before I didn't think it was pointing at the wheel enough. So I took off the bracket and shimmed it out and that put the sensor pointing bang central at the wheel. I had the pump wire off so it didn't prime everytime I put the ignition on and the engine cranked over and just as I was going to stop I saw that the start cycle had initiated and I had a spark count. So pump wires back on, a crank and vrmmmmm she started. :- :thumbsup:

Start video

Cheers for the help guys you were dam close with the sensor ideas. I also sorted out some wires and made a platform for the ecu, fuse box and relay block to sit. Need to put the ecu on permanent underneath but you get the idea. Sorry about the bad picture. It was just as i was putting the car away and it was getting dark. When it's all in properly I'll get some better ones.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#623 paul190181

paul190181

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

thats good that you got it running , how does it run ?

#624 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

Awesome awesome awesome :-

Top work Chris, well impressed

#625 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:15 PM

It runs alright. Not idling very well and slightly lumpy when it does so it defo needs a good tune. Will trailer it up to the rolling road as it says not to give it the beans and go full load untill it has been RR'd. I know I'll not be able to go slowly there :-

#626 MiNi_BoRe

MiNi_BoRe

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

Ginger Monkey - What software is that your using in your video??

#627 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:17 AM

Hey monkey just read the whole thread top stuff!

Im gonna be starting by Honda build soon. Having looked at your is that a Skunk 2 manifold you are using and what throttle body have you got on it?

#628 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

MiNi_BoRe, I'm using the MAP3000 software from the OMEX download page.

Cheers Sleepy Stu. It is a Skunk2 manifold. I'm using the standard throttle body off the original manifold that came with the car. might get a bigger one in the future but for now it's doing fine.

#629 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:16 PM

MiNi_BoRe, I'm using the MAP3000 software from the OMEX download page.

Cheers Sleepy Stu. It is a Skunk2 manifold. I'm using the standard throttle body off the original manifold that came with the car. might get a bigger one in the future but for now it's doing fine.

Cheers and sorry another question what ECU did you go with in the end have you got a link to it by any chance Im just trying to put together a rough budget. Ive got the engine and I know what the subframe will cost but im trying to price up everything else! >_<

#630 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

No worries. There are a few options you can go down. I used a P28 ecu chipped with a B18c4 base map on it. I never got it running quite right but it did a year of driving so was almost there, never got it on a rolling road. Then I went the whole hog and got an OMEX 600 ecu from HERE It all cost me about £800 - £900 for all the stuff you need and that's without the rolling road. If you want my old ecu then you can have free dibs as it's going on sale soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users