134 replies to this topic

#46 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

Just a quick update as ive been away for the weekend and havnt done much!

Put the front calipers back on but am still undecided about the discs. They still have a good thickness left on them but im hoping the surface isnt too far gone rust wise and will clean up when i start using the brakes?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyway i am filled at the moment with a new urgency. I have decided, probably rather foolishly, that i want to drive the mini to the next Malvern show. :P :dozing:

There is still so much to do that its unlikely but i am going to try nonetheless. It will be a case of dash, steering wheel, one seat and then throw it through an MOT and see what happens. :) :ermm:

The rest of the interior can then wait until i have the money to finish it properly. :P

I will have to do some serious praying to the patron saint of Minis! :angel:

"Saint Alec Issigonis

I do hereby ask in your mechanical wisdom that you grant me the time, money, technical knowledge, and huge amounts of luck required to have my mini back on the road in time for the Malvern Mini Show.

Please grant the MOT tester the courage to ignore small, non-safety critical problems and give my Mini a clean bill of health
and a much needed certificate when the time comes!

In the name of the engine, starmags and big-bore exhaust

Amen"

#47 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:31 PM

Put the front calipers back on but am still undecided about the discs. They still have a good thickness left on them but im hoping the surface isnt too far gone rust wise and will clean up when i start using the brakes?

For the price of new discs, get new ones. They stop the car doing Xmph, you want them to stop. Considering how nice your mini is and the time you have put on it the last thing you want is the brakes to be pap. Id replace them.

#48 clubby

clubby

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Local Club: BrEt

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:47 AM

good job mate... alL the best

#49 marco.h

marco.h

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Local Club: Not got joined yet....

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:56 PM

looking good =]

have to say i love the exhaust, good luck with getting it done for malvern :ermm:

#50 Flynn

Flynn

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:36 PM

Posted Image

That is a lovely looking car. Nice work.

#51 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:42 PM

Thx for all your comments guys!!

Quick question looks like im going to have to use 1 1/4 inch spacers on the back to get the clearance needed. Question is are they as dangerous as everybody makes out or is that more of an issue if you have the spacers on the front wheels? ;)

Edited by Stewart_GT, 13 February 2008 - 08:43 PM.

#52 slyrmini

slyrmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

Posted Image

Shes looking meaty from behind!

I've said this before, love the colour, Mmmm!

#53 apbellamy

apbellamy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:53 AM

Just seen this for the first time. I think some sex wee has come out!

Hopy mine end's up looking half as good as your's!

#54 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

Well just a quick update.

I finally sorrted out the problem with my indicators not flashing. If you didnt know that my indicators didnt flash then you know now. They just lit up and stayed on but no flashy flash? ;)

Tryed 3 different flasher units and still the same problem so that ruled out that idea?

After a play with many wires and multimeter eventually found out what the problem was!!

A while back i was replacing a few bulbs i replaced the front indicator bulbs with low wattage 5W ones that i bought from mini spares.

Well it turns out that unfortunatly this may be good in theory as they require less current, however i didnt realise that a flasher unit has a minimum current required before it starts to do its flash flash thing. :blink:

The original bulbs were 28W i think and this extra current was enough to make the flasher do its thing :techsupport:

So now everything is flashy flasy again!!! :thumbsup:

#55 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:47 PM

Well i have finally finished all the wiring and everything is working now. Yey :xxx:

Also got my dash installed which i think looks uber cool along with the switch panel and bottom dash rail. All the extra dials are fully functional and even light up when i turn on the lights. Had a little problem with the rev counter sticking but nothing a little electrical contact cleaner didnt fix. :w00t:

It looks a little grubby but thats because it has fingerprints all over it and needs a good clean

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next thing is to look at this cheapo dodgy quickshift and decide if i can make it work adequetly or shall i just stump up the cash and buy a nice new KAD one which i know will work. A guy on the forum has just bought a Jack Knight quickshift and i must say it was sexy as but at £300 :w00t: its a bit out of my price range. :)

And i realised today that i dont actually have any pictures of her with the grill and bonnet on so here are a couple

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still on the lookout for a rear bumper as the back end looks a little naked :o

#56 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Local Club: none at the moment

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:26 PM

Looking good stewart,when u hoping to have it finished?.
I just got my engine back from morspeed for my gt,just waiting on my gearbox now.
Bye the way if you fancy selling your steering wheel give me a shout.LOL.

#57 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

I just got my engine back from morspeed for my gt,just waiting on my gearbox now.

Umm shouldnt be too long now maybe another month or so. :thumbsup:

The engine is the only thing that hasnt really been touched on mine would love to spice it up a bit but i just dont have the cash. :thumbsup:

Do you mean the bog standard steering wheel ive got on at the moment they are ten a penny arent they? :P

#58 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Local Club: none at the moment

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:08 AM

Umm shouldnt be too long now maybe another month or so. >_<

The engine is the only thing that hasnt really been touched on mine would love to spice it up a bit but i just dont have the cash. >_<

Do you mean the bog standard steering wheel ive got on at the moment they are ten a penny arent they? :teehee:

yes ,the one i have is the same type but without the leather stitched rim.To be honest i havnt really tried looking.The one on mine was a fiver from stanford hall but i would swop it if i find one like yours

I got my gearbox back today,so just got to build it up with my 1330 morspeed engine and hopefully have her mot'd next week.Hooray

good luck with yours

#59 n_d_fox

n_d_fox

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:23 PM

Absolutely love this mini... was looking at it in the first few pics thinking i'd seen it before.... i actually watched it on Ebay and almost put a bid in... not sure what you paid for it in the end but fair play to you.

I think one of the things that put me off not going for it properly was that it wasnt near enough to being finished as i wanted... dont have the knowledge to fit a loom and brake / fuel lines yet ;)

Keeping my eyes out for another clubby now though... hopefully i can find something as minted as this !

Well done mate.

Edited by n_d_fox, 28 March 2008 - 05:24 PM.

#60 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:49 PM

Absolutely love this mini... was looking at it in the first few pics thinking i'd seen it before.... i actually watched it on Ebay and almost put a bid in... not sure what you paid for it in the end but fair play to you.

I think one of the things that put me off not going for it properly was that it wasnt near enough to being finished as i wanted... dont have the knowledge to fit a loom and brake / fuel lines yet :thumbsup:

Keeping my eyes out for another clubby now though... hopefully i can find something as minted as this !

Well done mate.

Yep i cant take credit for the paintwork but its such a lovely job i was well chuffed its a good starting project for me to get me into the swing of things.

Keep looking for a clubby i think they are the nicest looking easily, although no offence to the round noses they are very nice also :shifty:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users