50 replies to this topic

#1 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:55 PM

Ok so my nearside outer sill is foobared with rust. I've slapped some fibreglass over the holes for now to keep water out but i need them sorting ASAP.

So for a start i don't know anything really about welding and have never held a welder in my life, but after hearing about the welding bill one of my tutors at college got for sill replacement on his mini - I've decided to teach myself.

I've sourced a mig welder from a mate, i've just bought a grinder and some cutting disks, i've got a drill and stuff and i'll probably buy some tin snips too. All i need now i think is a welding mask, some gas and some welding rods or wire? My dad will be working near minisport next week so he said he'll pick me up a new sill from there - I'll be getting a genuine one.

I've also bought a 'plain and simple guide' to MIG welding book so i'll have a read through that - Should help me understand abit better.

So firstly - Practice. I obviously want to get this right first time - as once i've made a mess i won't be able to afford a big repair bill. My dad got me some sheet metal from work too for me to practice on - however its galvanized - Does it matter?

I was planning on cutting it in half and using one bit to start practicing the beading technique, then the other bit i was going to cut into strips and weld back together - to practice getting a good weld.

Are there any special welding techniques require to replace a sill?

I've read the FAQ thread on removing a sill - I don't think that'll be a problem - But once i've got the old sill off i guess i do something like this:

Clean up the surrounding metal, hold/clamp/secure new panel in place, tack the sill into place with small blobs of welded dotted every... say 6 inches?, then once thats done do i continue adding a full bead of weld all the way around the sill in small sections? Then clean up the welding with a grinding disk on the grinder?

I just want to get the process of this job sussed in my head so i can visualize how its all going to happen - I'm pretty determined to do this jo myself and do it resonably well - Basically as a mini owner, If i could learn how to weld i think it'd just be a huge relieif because i wouldn't be so scared when i see rust developing and things.

So - Anyting you think i should know about welding for beginners or just sill replacement in general - Please... Speak you mind! I want your knowledge!!

#2 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:57 PM

look here, got load of tutorials, excellent advice as well.

www.mig-welding.co.uk

Seamus

#3 Bristolboy

Bristolboy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:01 PM

Practice, take your time and always wear a decent welding mask to avoid arch eye :P, good luck :shifty:

bb

#4 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:05 PM

DO NOT WELD ON GALVANISED STEEL you have to grind the surface until is nice and clean, if you weld galvanised steel it release toxic fumes which can kill you !

i would clean up everything on the inside of the sill and put some hammerite or dinitrol or something in there to stop it all rusting up from the inside, im going to do the same when i get round to doing mine

i dont know how to weld yet either but everywhere ive asked for advice and tips they always come back and say theres nothing like practise practise and practise. reading books and watching videos wouldnt hurt either and ive ordered a welding dvd as well which shows you the basics of welding which hopefully should help

with a mask get a proper good one, you only have one pair of eyes, dont get no cheapy ones and if you want a auto darkening one certainly dont get a cheapy one. You can get a very good quality auto darkening mask off a member on the mig welding forum called "weldequip" for around 45 pounds which isnt that bad. Ive heard that auto darkening can help you lots especially if you are a begginer. The one he sells for 45 is a mask by the brand parweld or similar and ive heard nothing but good about it on that forum and i plan to get one of them to. i cannot stress enough do not get a cheap poor quality mask. from the sounds of it arc eye is really painful !

#5 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:05 PM

And be ready for mig sparks dancing around inside your ear if your welding sills.

Its a weird feeling!!

#6 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:27 PM

And be ready for mig sparks dancing around inside your ear if your welding sills.

Its a weird feeling!!

Weird - Not painful i hope :shifty:

As for masks - i was going to get a £15 halfords one but i may get an auto darkening one like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.u...emZ140221884100

I know its cheap but surely they can't be that bad - They'll all have to be up to a certain standard. In this welding book i've bought it says all masks that comply to BS630 regulations will give total protection. So i'll have a look at the one at halfords - See if it mentions any regulations and things.

Am i better going for a £25 normal hinged weldsing mask than a cheap £30 auto darkening one?

#7 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:33 PM

if you've got a pair of cheap and easily replaceable eye then buy a cheap mask!!!

I bought 1 once, got flash twice and binned it!!, your eyes aren't worth messing with. A decent mask will help your welding no end,

What welder have you got.?

if you visit the site i mentioned and PM a guy called weldequip he will sort you out decent gear at a good price.

EDIT greasy are you reading my mind or what?!!!

Edited by shiftyseamus, 09 April 2008 - 09:40 PM.

#8 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:39 PM

seconded Weldequip sells a very good auto darkening mask for i think its 45 quid. well worth the money

#9 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:44 PM

if you've got a pair of cheap and easily replaceable eye then buy a cheap mask!!!

I bought 1 once, got flash twice and binned it!!, your eyes aren't worth messing with.

I know i know, i'm abit of a cheapskate thats all.

I'll PM this guy - See what he can sort me out with. But £45 would have to be the very top of what i want to spend - I'm trying to do this on the cheap you see - I hadn't antisipated finding all this rust on my car - So havn't really got the funds prepared to pay out alot on gear i won't be using that often. Infact - thinking about it i might be able to source a descent mask of my mates grandad - A retired pro welder.

Not sure what the welder is. All i know is that its a MIG thats been stuck in my dads mates garage for ages (probably years) and never gets used. So he said i can borrow it for as long as i need. I'll be picking it up some time soon so i'll see what its like. Hopefully it'll have some instructions so i know about the gas and wire i need for it.

#10 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:47 PM

When you get it post up the info, if its been stood then depending on the type a service may be prudent, if its got a eurotorch then a liner change would be worthwhile.

How much welding are you planning to do?

The cheapo disposible bottles are useless, and in the long run a gas contract with boc(or similar) may be cheaper?

All this info is on the mig welding site.

If you let me know I will help all I can

Seamus

#11 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:48 PM

When you get it post up the info, if its been stood then depending on the type a service may be prudent, if its got a eurotorch then a liner change would be worthwhile.

How much welding are you planning to do?

The cheapo disposible bottles are useless, and in the long run a gas contract with boc(or similar) may be cheaper?

All this info is on the mig welding site.

If you let me know I will help all I can

Seamus

#12 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:02 PM

Whats up with the disposile bottles? How long do they last?

Do hire shops rent out gas suitable for welding?

#13 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:05 PM

the argon little disposable bottles last about 6-7 minutes of use and co2 lasts longer but the co2 is not as good as argon. In the long run if you plan to do alot of welding its better to get a contract out which im not sure of the prices.

#14 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

I'm not sure how much welding i'll be doing - At the moment it'll be just the outer sill - So maybe a couple of disposible bottles will do for now.

However over the summer i'll be doing quite a bit of bodywork so no doubt i'll need the welder more then.

#15 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

once again greasy is right(must have overheard me)

Done a little digging around and found this

http://www.adamsgas....CFQtQQgod7VQyHA

CO2 isn't as good as an argon mix gas but a lot people use it with sucess.

If you know a friendly publican tap em up!!

The regulator is different for a co2 bottle though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users