138 replies to this topic

#31 syko_mini

syko_mini

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:43 PM

Well as my granny always says "buy cheap, buy twice" personally I think the kit is not too bad... not the cheapest but you tell me what you can get that'll handle as well and be as quick whilst still retaining some character for the same money????

Plus you have to look at the quality of what you get. It's not some cowboy in a garage with a blow torch! This is VERY well put together and PROVEN to work very well!

If you want a super cheap fast mini buy a $50 Crapper from the scrappy and stick 100bhp NOS on it! then when it torque steers all over the shop and blows it's self to bits don't be surprised  :-

Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting its just I don't agree with bad mouthing a company when you haven't seen what you actually get, Let alone experienced it!

Ade, I've seen pics of what the kit includes, quality yes, too blingy YES(and thats what you pay for). I have my own full size car right now. It's a 72 Chevelle that is being built into a road course car. I know where quality comes in, and buying twice isn't an option for me. I'll research for a year before I make a bigger purchase. I've gone with some name brand parts on my car simply for ease of getting them on there or just awesome GP deals. Namely BAER brakes. If you were to look at my brakes on the Chevelle, you'd notice I didn't go all out on 6 pistons up front and 6 in the rear like most pocket deep people do. My set-up is more then capable and thats what I like. Hanging with the rich people on a REASONABLE price.

Maybe I'll have to find a Subaru WRX STi thats written off and swap the drivetrain into my mini. (no worries, I know what I would be getting myself into... Thats the fun part!)

To sum up my thoughts I'll leave you with a quote of a hardcore road racing junkie I know. His quote goes "$30K paint job, Twin turbo, 345s, trick suspension, 8-piston/15" brakes... None of them will impress me...Fast lap time will."

-Matt

#32 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:02 PM

Z-cars space frame mini that does 0-60 in 2.8 seconds impresses me. And it looks very bling with all its pearl red and blue powder coatings and carbon fibre floor.Try building something that fast that looks that good for the price Chris charges.

#33 syko_mini

syko_mini

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:05 PM

Z-cars space frame mini that does 0-60 in 2.8 seconds impresses me. And it looks very bling with all its pearl red and blue powder coatings and carbon fibre floor.Try building something that fast that looks that good for the price Chris charges.

Thats where your opinion and mine is opposite. You want bling. I don't. Your willing to pay for bling(what a joke) and I'm not. If I want bling, I'll do it myself. Offer a kit in natural finish for half the price.

-Matt

#34 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:26 PM

To have my rollcage powder coated purple by Z-cars only cost an extra £75. Not exactly half the price of the full kit!!!
I have enquired at a local powder coaters to have some rear braces coated black and they wanted £50. Makes the £75 look cheap. Apart from the kit I have done everything myself on my car including the paintwork.I will pay the going rate for something if I can't do it myself(unfortunately I don't have a powder coating oven in my garden so had to pay someone to do this). My car is more for fun than outright speed so adding some "bling" has been possible.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on our opinions of Z-cars. Good luck with your Chevelle.

#35 R500OLE

R500OLE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:25 PM

thanks for the comments ....I think MiniMetro brown with beige interior looks good for any classic mini...must put the 8x13's on Ebay and ship in some ince rusty 10" steel wheels with shiny hubcaps.

#36 syko_mini

syko_mini

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:33 PM

To have my rollcage powder coated purple by Z-cars only cost an extra £75. Not exactly half the price of the full kit!!!
I have enquired at a local powder coaters to have some rear braces coated black and they wanted £50. Makes the £75 look cheap. Apart from the kit I have done everything myself on my car including the paintwork.I will pay the going rate for something if I can't do it myself(unfortunately I don't have a powder coating oven in my garden so had to pay someone to do this). My car is more for fun than outright speed so adding some "bling" has been possible.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on our opinions of Z-cars. Good luck with your Chevelle.

Thats the difference between the economy over seas and Canada/United States. I can get a complete roll cage done for a case of beer where I am. Its a matter of knowing the right people. I had 3 dash designs CNC water jet cutted for the price of one. Your missing that your paying huge for shiny parts that have been painted. Who gives a fly *male chicken* roach whats on top of a part. Its whats under the baked on paint that matters.

-Matt

#37 R500OLE

R500OLE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:33 PM

Z cars are shipping the kit next week ( the body is now cut ) so full speed ahead...
Pete the floor on the spaceframe Mini is not carbon...it looks like it but is a plastic composite that is very strong and is use in BTCC for panels.

#38 syko_mini

syko_mini

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:36 PM

thanks for the comments ....I think MiniMetro brown with beige interior looks good for any classic mini...must put the 8x13's on Ebay and ship in some ince rusty 10" steel wheels with shiny hubcaps.

The way most members on here think(with the exception to many) would not last long at all where I am, nor many places around me. Mind you, you'd fit in well with the rich crowd that buys everything based soley on "its more expensive, its gotta be better"

I give credit to the members on here building their cars from E-baymotors, and bargain hunting. Props to you guys!

-Matt

#39 F1 Mini

F1 Mini

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:41 PM

Well as my granny always says "buy cheap, buy twice" personally I think the kit is not too bad... not the cheapest but you tell me what you can get that'll handle as well and be as quick whilst still retaining some character for the same money????

Plus you have to look at the quality of what you get. It's not some cowboy in a garage with a blow torch! This is VERY well put together and PROVEN to work very well!

If you want a super cheap fast mini buy a $50 Crapper from the scrappy and stick 100bhp NOS on it! then when it torque steers all over the shop and blows it's self to bits don't be surprised  :-

Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting its just I don't agree with bad mouthing a company when you haven't seen what you actually get, Let alone experienced it!

Ade, I've seen pics of what the kit includes, quality yes, too blingy YES(and thats what you pay for). I have my own full size car right now. It's a 72 Chevelle that is being built into a road course car. I know where quality comes in, and buying twice isn't an option for me. I'll research for a year before I make a bigger purchase. I've gone with some name brand parts on my car simply for ease of getting them on there or just awesome GP deals. Namely BAER brakes. If you were to look at my brakes on the Chevelle, you'd notice I didn't go all out on 6 pistons up front and 6 in the rear like most pocket deep people do. My set-up is more then capable and thats what I like. Hanging with the rich people on a REASONABLE price.

Maybe I'll have to find a Subaru WRX STi thats written off and swap the drivetrain into my mini. (no worries, I know what I would be getting myself into... Thats the fun part!)

To sum up my thoughts I'll leave you with a quote of a hardcore road racing junkie I know. His quote goes "$30K paint job, Twin turbo, 345s, trick suspension, 8-piston/15" brakes... None of them will impress me...Fast lap time will."

-Matt

Why pay anyone else... When you can build it yourself ????

I have met Chris on 2 occatioins, and I could not have asked for more of a friendly bloke. Both times I have asked for just some parts, and even diamentions of his new Light wieght cars front suspenison... He said yes if I bought the uprights and wishbones.... It's nice to meet a good guy in the Kit Car world....

May Z Cars continue for a long time to come......

PS now this is what I call over priced bling...... But I still love it....

#40 R500OLE

R500OLE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:42 PM

Thanks syko for your educated comments now FRO

#41 F1 Mini

F1 Mini

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:42 PM

PS Is that my Turbo in your Avatar ????

#42 F1 Mini

F1 Mini

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:49 PM

thanks for the comments ....I think  MiniMetro brown  with beige interior looks good for any classic mini...must put the 8x13's on Ebay and ship in some ince rusty 10" steel wheels with shiny hubcaps.

The way most members on here think(with the exception to many) would not last long at all where I am, nor many places around me. Mind you, you'd fit in well with the rich crowd that buys everything based soley on "its more expensive, its gotta be better"

I give credit to the members on here building their cars from E-baymotors, and bargain hunting. Props to you guys!

-Matt

:nugget: Oh you seem alittle bitter there ? Is there something your not telling us ?

We here in Blighty like a more light hearted mood, as these cars are our hobbies. So lets not get to serious here.... :erm:

#43 syko_mini

syko_mini

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:50 PM

-Matt

Why pay anyone else... When you can build it yourself ????

I have met Chris on 2 occatioins, and I could not have asked for more of a friendly bloke. Both times I have asked for just some parts, and even diamentions of his new Light wieght cars front suspenison... He said yes if I bought the uprights and wishbones.... It's nice to meet a good guy in the Kit Car world....

May Z Cars continue for a long time to come......

PS now this is what I call over priced bling...... But I still love it....

You know, I'm almost debating on building my own kit from scratch just for me. I have to worry about my education first though.

I have no clue if you did that, nor do I honestly care. Its been used like a back alley *woman of ill repute*.

I find it overly humorous how people with money do little to no research. Mark my words, Even if I was a millionaire I would research till the early hours of the morning. I would only then purchase something when I became satisfied.

As far as R500OLE.... I'm sorry for hi-jacking your thread. I shall now leave it alone.

-Matt

#44 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:36 PM

Anyone else starting to really like him?! Or is it just me?! :erm:

#45 BlAck0ut

BlAck0ut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:51 PM

Dude thats fair enough but at the end of the day its his money and he'll spend it how it pleases him.

Oh and I doubt anyone on this forum chooses parts for their car to make others happy, so far I've spent alot of money building my car up making it look presentable whilst the engine is still a standard 998. Some people may moan and do the opposite but if its what I like its all that matters.

If I built a Z Cars conversion I wouldnt want to go all out on trying to make it do the best 0-60 possible by becoming obsessed with making everything lightweight etc. I'd rather have a fun car that makes me happy rather than the crowds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users