#931 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

Well didn't get ouside today until about 1'ish :techsupport: , but I got a few things done. First the block started out looking like this:

Posted Image

And then with a bit of time and effort:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks good to me :mrcool: . I have given it two coats so far, and might need one last one tomorrow :techsupport: . And then I cleaned up a few more engine bits :dontgetit: , they just keep coming and coming lol :

Posted Image

It has turned out good :techsupport: , I'm happy with it. I'm not going to get everything spotless, but it will just look tidier :w00t: . But then I was cleaning the clusing housing thing I found out the arm thing was rusted solid :angry: :

Posted Image

Not happy with that :dontgetit: , but I have to take a few things off the old engine tomorrow, so I'll take the old clutch housing off it then :errr: .

Also, as I'm starting to put bits together for the engine, I'm worrying more and more that something might go wrong :( . I'm worried than the gearbox might not work or will go band in a few days, or one of the bearings will pack up, or I put something in wrong and it all goes t*ts up :( , I'm just hoping everything goes smoothly *touches wood* :) .

#932 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

That blue block looks nice! might want to paint a bit further in around where the oil filter goes, 'cause when you bolt it back on you'll see a big patch of the unpainted bit :techsupport:

#933 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

That blue block looks nice! might want to paint a bit further in around where the oil filter goes, 'cause when you bolt it back on you'll see a big patch of the unpainted bit :techsupport:

Cheers Luke, ah yes, I was just trying to keep all the gasket surfaces clean, but you can see where the gasket goes on there :techsupport: .

#934 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

Right, as I havn't updated in a few days there are a lot of pictures to upload and write about, so there will be about 3 posts :dontgetit: , but I'll let you know when I'm done :teehee: .

So I'll start with Thursday. First I wanted to see how the smooth boot matches the other paint work and how it fits:

Posted Image

Its not too bad :) , but it will looks a lot better whens its shiny :mrcool: . Next I started to clean up some of the surface rust in the engine bay:

Posted Image

Its not too bad, just where me and James spilt some of the brake fluid :D , I'm going to put some Kurust on it them I might Tetra Shutz the whole engine bay, not sure yet :unusre: .

Then I got the other cam out of the other engine:

Posted Image

You'll see why later ;) . And that was it for Thursday :( .

#935 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

And now for Fridays work. I got the parts from Mini Spares and began the rebuild of the gearbox. I ran into a few problems along the way, which liirge helped out with :( , which included a stck main shaft and having to remove the new double roller bearing :dontgetit: , so this is as far as I got Friday:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The main shaft, reverse gear, gear selectors, double and roller bearings in, idler bearing and the big circlip in. Not bad for a first rebuild :D . Oh yeah, and this is why I needed the two cams:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yup thats right, MED's stage two cam kit, oil pump, cam followers, adjustable vernier duplex timing gears and their H-T cam :teehee: .

#936 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

And now for Saturdays work, basically I got all the internals back into the gearbox:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats nearly all new bearings, and the centre oil pick up and all the other bits in. I had more help from liirge on this :( , cheers mate, and then the mini guru that is James popped over to show me up :) . He helped me torque up one of the ends to the 150ft/lbs needed :mrcool: , and the other end I did up tight, but that will be coming off again as I need to fit the straight cut drops :teehee: .

Then I put the clutch oil seal in:

Posted Image

It's only a little job, but it's out the way no :dontgetit: , that was it for Saturday :D .

#937 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:32 PM

Bloomin heck this next post is a long one lol.

#938 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

And now for todays work. I started the day by fitting the speedo housing to the gearbox:

Posted Image

You can just see it in the picture. Thats about as far as the gearbox can go at the minute, until I get a x-pin diff anyway ;) . Then I began to split the diff that was in the gearbox, luckily it has the 3.1 final drive I want :D :

Posted Image

Again this is about as far as it can go without the x-pin diff :( . The I applied some Kurust to the engine bay:

Posted Image

It has gone off nicely now, all it needs now is a bit of the good old Shutz. As as in one of my last post the clutch cover thing was rusted solid, but good old Dad came alone, booted it with his foot, and it came loose, so I stripped that down:

Posted Image

Then rebuilt it:

Posted Image

And it works like a dream now ;) , I might need to get a new release bearing though, but they are £5 from Mini Spares, and I need a new split pin :) .

And throughout the day, I have been spraying a few bits ready for when they go back on the engine:

Posted Image

And thats all the updates hopefully more tomorrow :D .

Edited by 1987_ParkLane, 09 August 2009 - 05:44 PM.

#939 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

Haha no I had to go make my tea :D .

#940 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

Haha no I had to go make my tea :D .

Lol haha. Looks like a good weekends work anyway ;)

#941 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:58 PM

Lol haha. Looks like a good weekends work anyway ;)

Cheers, it was :D .

Edited by 1987_ParkLane, 09 August 2009 - 05:59 PM.

#942 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

I also forgot to say, the gearbox engine steady was broken, it had broken off from the subframe, and it was in a bad state itself:

Posted Image

Half of it has been welded together :D , and where it had broken off from the subframe:

Posted Image

But an angle grinder soon sorted that :D :

Posted Image

I have a new braket that goes onto the gearbox, you can see it in the picture of the bits I have sprayed, and I'm going to get some steel from work and make a bracket to put onto the subframe ;) .

#943 1275 SPRITE

1275 SPRITE

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:36 PM

Looks like plenty of good work done on it over the week you had off :D.
Do you fancy making me a bracket at work too :(, the one you sprayed black..., use that one as a template lol :D
Anyway, its looking great now and now you have got most of the engine parts minus the bearings the engine build can start soon which will be brill...
getting so much closer now ;)

#944 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

Looks like plenty of good work done on it over the week you had off ;).
Do you fancy making me a bracket at work too :thumbsup:, the one you sprayed black..., use that one as a template lol :D
Anyway, its looking great now and now you have got most of the engine parts minus the bearings the engine build can start soon which will be brill...
getting so much closer now :)

Cheers James, Dad told me to do that, get some steel from work and make a new bracket, but I was lucky enough to find one in my box of brackets :D . I'll make you one no probs, why has yours broken too? Forgot to say, placed a nice big order about an hour ago, £105 spend, and that included the relevent bearings to get the block going :thumbsup: , should get that mid week ;) . Can't wait to get it done now :( .

#945 1275 SPRITE

1275 SPRITE

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

no its not broken but I bagged up a few bits out of the garage a while ago, two bags, one to keep and one to throw. Went to get some things out of the bag about a week later and found a bag of rubbish :D, threw the wrong bag ;). Its the gearbox bracket i'm missing.
Oh thats good, what else did you get in the order?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users