blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

The work you are doing looks awesome!.

With that box where are rear passengers going to put there feet LOL!?

never carry back seat passengers lol

How have you worked out the volume of your box?

not yet mate, it's on my to do list

#32 blueturbomini

blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Quick update, what with working on Saturday and today being mothers day, not been able to spend as much time in the garage as i would have liked but, the next time you see these bad boys, they should be sanded, trimmed, subs fitted and installed in the car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still not worked out the size yet, need to get some polystyrene packageing, and as this is my first attempt at this sort of thing, i am well pleased with myself

What do you think people?

#33 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

You may have some issues blending the bottom of the fabric to the MDF, however, this is below the line of the pocket so is less then critical.

Thats of course if your not a perfectionist like myself (Its an effing curse i tell thy)

#34 blueturbomini

blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

You may have some issues blending the bottom of the fabric to the MDF, however, this is below the line of the pocket so is less then critical.

Thats of course if your not a perfectionist like myself (Its an effing curse i tell thy)

Unfortunenatly i am a bit like you but as you say it should be below the pocket line, i do need to trim the pockets to get the boxes in. If it does cause me a problem, i will have fun finding a solution. Keep watching to see how it goes.

#35 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

One solotion is to build the bottom out with fiberglass. One single layer should bring it close enough to the point where it can be hitten easily with filler.

#36 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

As long as you have fiberglass layered on the inside join you should be able to sand flat any excess FG on the outside. Looking really good though, are you sure you haven't done this before? ;-)

#37 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

As long as you have fiberglass layered on the inside join you should be able to sand flat any excess FG on the outside. Looking really good though, are you sure you haven't done this before? ;-)

hurmmmmm i find that the fibers of the material become a royal pita!

#38 blueturbomini

blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

I have 3 layers of matting on the inside of the box, which overlaps the joint between the box and the cloth. The only other time i tried to use this stuff(which i think comes straight from hell) was when i fitted the body kit to my car. The only thing that it would stick to for some strange reason was my hands lmfao.

#39 blueturbomini

blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Well after not getting much done last weekend, this one seems to have gone in slow motion for whats been done. Firstly i managed to pick this little beauty up on friday

Posted Image

soon as this is in i can complete the front of my install. Then on saturday i managed to get all this done

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I still need to square them up a little but could not wait to see them in place, they have finished up at nearly 19 litres, so nearly what i needed
I prefere these black door cards to the ali checker plate ones i had before. Then i had a great day in the sunshine at Brooklands today. So people how do you think my works going so far? as i am over the moon with it.

#40 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

Great to see the subs in & good they ended up the volume you wanted. If you put some wadding inside then that may achieve the sound you were aiming for. I like the new door cards, did you make them as well? What is the new engine?
I too was at brooklands & had a great day, lovely weather for the hill climb.

#41 blueturbomini

blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Great to see the subs in & good they ended up the volume you wanted. If you put some wadding inside then that may achieve the sound you were aiming for. I like the new door cards, did you make them as well? What is the new engine?
I too was at brooklands & had a great day, lovely weather for the hill climb.

I got the door cards from Ashley James Auto Trim, just waiting for the grilles for the subs to come through, the test hill was ok until the moke went up and went bang

#42 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Yeah I saw that & got a photo! It was the diff that gave out, I saw what was left of it on his back seat later on. Good idea on the grilles, good for points in judging.

#43 blueturbomini

blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Up date time again. After a good weekend in the garage, i managed to drop the engine into place and sort it out

Posted Image

Which meant i could fit the front end of my install back into the car

Posted Image

Still got to finish off the subs and a few other bits and pieces before i switch it all on, but well pleased so far.

Well what do you all think????

#44 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Sorry the pics a little too dark to make anything out properly.

#45 blueturbomini

blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Right, finally managed to get the car into some daylight for some clearer photo's

The grilles on the subs

Posted Image

My dash with the 4" speakers moved to the front

Posted Image

And my centre consul with my switches replaced with LED toggle switches

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users