#61 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:00 AM

What have you decided to do with your system? Are you changing the speakers?

#62 blueturbomini

blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

What have you decided to do with your system? Are you changing the speakers?

Hello Scott, i am sort of looking into it at the moment. I am not that happy with a couple of things in the install. I don't think the speakers in the dash look all that good, just sort of plonked in place (if you know what i mean} and i wanted to have a factory dash with 2 small clocks above the radio housing. This however is proving to be a bit of a problem, as i have been told the factory dash had 2 options, 1 clock or 3 clock. If they made one without any clocks, then happy days i could drill my own. I do want to make the dash appear more like the speakers are supposed to be there though(looks like i will be playing with the devils fibre glass again). I am also thinking of putting the amps in the boot, to make them more of a feature. This has been bugging me since Joe said i have 2 of the best looking amps around and have hidden them away. All i can say at the moment is keep your eyes open for progress.

On another note hows your car/install coming along mate

#63 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

Mines stalled :( I've had too much going on lately that I've kind of lost interest in the mini at the moment, I haven't done anything to her for months now & I'm just waiting for the enthusiasm to kick back in. I have bought a new daily driver, a Volvo V70 D5, so I've been starting on the install in that using some of my gear from the mini like the Sony C90 HU, the amps & speakers. I will get a new 12" sub for the custom box I'm building & a set of 2.4" Ground Zero mid ranges to run the whole system active from my Sony XDP-4000x processor. Who knows by the time I finish doing the new install I might have had an enthusiam kick start.

On you amps you could do something similar to the JL Audio Mini amp rack to show them off.

On the front stage, have you thought of trying to do something like these? You might need to change your Infinity's speakers though as I don't know if 4" mids would be small enough to go in that position. DLS, Legatia & Ground Zero are just a few that do 3-way components where the mid is around 2.5"-3".

#64 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

Scanspeak tweeters with Focal 3" mids and Focal 6.5 or 7" woofers.... FTW.

Scanspeak D30004 or R30004 1" small fitment
Focal Power or Utopia.
:D

#65 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

Or these mids:
http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ipb/index.php/classifieds/item/2093-hybrid-audio-l3-midrange/'%20title='Hybrid%20Audio%20L3%20Midrange

With these woofers/ tweeters.
http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ipb/index.php/classifieds/item/1839-seas-lotus-reference-components/'%20title='Seas%20Lotus%20Reference%20Components

290 quid for 1300 quids worth of speakers.

#66 joakwin

joakwin

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

the fiberglass sub boxes look good

the only thing that i think will help improve the sound upfront is the placement of the tweeters, having them in that place dont really help sq

mounting them on the A post facing the windshield will do a lot more for the sound

http://cdtaudio.com/...ls/mounting.htm

http://cdtaudio.com/...r_placement.htm

#67 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

the fiberglass sub boxes look good

the only thing that i think will help improve the sound upfront is the placement of the tweeters, having them in that place dont really help sq

mounting them on the A post facing the windshield will do a lot more for the sound

Well yes and no.

The sound stage in this car is the widest I've ever heard in a mini, and with the 88rs's time alignment the imaging is close to prefect.
But due to the low mid and tweeter position a the stage is a little low, its still on the top rail but not up in the screen.

Me personally would choose width and imaging over stage height everyday. But putting a 3 or 3.5" mid on the A-Pillars may keep the width AND raise the stage height.

I'm planing to move my tweeters to the same'ish location as BTM's in door cap builds and put a pair of phase linear 2.5" mids where my tweeters are. if it somewhere near the imaging of BTM's i'll be more than happy.

#68 blueturbomini

blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Right guys, thanks for the comments about the front stageing Joe but we both know that none of my speakers are pointing in the right direction, even though it sounds pretty good. The passenger tweeter looks down near the drivers knee, passenger mid in the dash looks slightly downwards and the mid bass in the door looks straight across the car. With the direction they are all pointing, compareed to others that sound really good, mine just do not make any sence to me at all. I do hope my tweeks dont screw the whole thing up.

Now then, what i intend to try and do this time is

1 get some better 3 way comps up front (i think you might like them Joe)
2 new tweeter plates for the same place, looking slightly more up to ear level
3 different dash build so the mids look a little more inwards in the car and more important look like they are supposed to be there
4 in the back of my twisted mind i have a vision of a motorised amp rack in the boot
5 leave the position of the mid bass and subs as is

Might just throw in a load f LED's as well. At the moment my dash is proving to be a problem, as i basicly want what the factory did not make.

Dash wise i want a factory wooden dash, gloss black with 2 extra 52mm clock holes above he radio, problem is they only fitted them with 1 clock or 3 clock holes, if they did one without i would be laughing but i will not let this little problem stop me. Oh yes nearly orgot, i want the motorised amp rack to work on remote control as well.

Scott, i saw your Volvo as your profile pic on talkaudio, cannot find you on FB though.

#69 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

Yeah thats me on TA, I regularly update my blog with the progress i'm making too. My FB is https://www.facebook...cott.bramley.18

#70 blueturbomini

blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Productive weekend, the car is now up on 4 axle stands, engine out, complete exhaust off, interior out, sound system removed and boxed up and sub boxes out. Now have a car in bits.

While the engine is out i am removing the front subframe and other parts for powdercoating. Also going to respray the engine bay, but it is coated with E-Dead, which at the moment the bitchumen part does not want to come off

#71 blueturbomini

blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

After another day and a half in the garage, got the front subframe out , stripped down and labled for the powdercoaters

Posted Image

Stripped all the remains of the e-dead from the engine bay and found tin worm(great more rust to sort)

Posted Image

New dash arrived, just need to fill a few holes, then add a few holes and refinnish it

Posted Image

Also decided that mini wireing gives me a headache lol

Posted Image

Dont the car look good now.

#72 freshairmini

freshairmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

Whoa, that's a mess! Is that all standard wiring? Not looking forward to the day when I've got to take mine out!

Good luck with that :D

#73 blueturbomini

blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

Whoa, that's a mess! Is that all standard wiring? Not looking forward to the day when I've got to take mine out!

Good luck with that :D

Unfortuneatly no, its also central locking, electric windows, all the regular dash switches moved to the centre consul, plus i have fitted the whole loom inside the car, so i have no wires running around the engine bay, it's all in the front wings. Have you finished your build, as your thread has just seemed to stop?

#74 Rosco5000

Rosco5000

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

I love those sub boxes!! I had thought of doing something like that before but I always get torn between performance and show. Some days I just want a really fast mini and sometimes I want the show stopper. Ugh decisions, keep up the great work!
R

#75 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

I love those sub boxes!! I had thought of doing something like that before but I always get torn between performance and show. Some days I just want a really fast mini and sometimes I want the show stopper. Ugh decisions, keep up the great work!
R

Just make them removable... :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users