#49 mattdc2r

mattdc2r

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

Some good advice here. It might be worth getting an eye test first, as right eye vision is extremely important, as the rifle that you may be required to use is only designed for use with the right eye. Believe it's got to be 6/6 with glasses if required. Navy is less stringent I believe, and they get to sail round the world and keep away from the stinking desert! The RAF also employs drivers, and we have really BIG trucks lol. As far as I am aware, if the fuel strike goes ahead, then it'll be RAF drivers in the trucks, not the Army drivers. Not sure why though, or if this is pukka gen.
Good luck, whatever you decide.

#50 mattdc2r

mattdc2r

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

Oh, as for ladies.
Generally when you get to a camp, you will be introduced to some local ladies that are generally very accommodating. Their knowledge of the camp layout and barrack blocks will undoubtably be far superior to yours. Try not to mention these girls names in the working area as there is a probable chance that your NCO's, SNCO's and possibly even the Commisioned officers will know them as well, as they are often their daughters.
Don't worry about trying to find out who these girls are, as they will find you.
Bag up.

#51 Frank the Tank

Frank the Tank

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Local Club: Yet to find one local - ish

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

As far as I am aware, if the fuel strike goes ahead, then it'll be RAF drivers in the trucks, not the Army drivers. Not sure why though, or if this is pukka gen.

We are in fact being trained etc ready for this too. May well be Tri-Service.

#52 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

I AM A SPOTTER (TMF LOGO SPOTTER)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Some good advice here. It might be worth getting an eye test first, as right eye vision is extremely important, as the rifle that you may be required to use is only designed for use with the right eye. Believe it's got to be 6/6 with glasses if required. Navy is less stringent I believe, and they get to sail round the world and keep away from the stinking desert! The RAF also employs drivers, and we have really BIG trucks lol. As far as I am aware, if the fuel strike goes ahead, then it'll be RAF drivers in the trucks, not the Army drivers. Not sure why though, or if this is pukka gen.

Ah you appear to be right. Looking at images of the SA80, I see soldiers using their right eye to look down the sights. Well scopes at least. Eye test will have to wait until next payday then.

Thanks for the info on the ladies too haha.

#53 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

Oh and the recruiter said my local Regiment is Princess of Wales Royal Regiment, so looks like I'll be going in there.

#54 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,432 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

Don't get shuffled into the infantry unless that's what you want.

Now I've woken up...

Recruiters have quotas to fill, lots in the infantry as that's business end needing plenty of fit, young blokes behind rifles. You'd have to do your time as one of those before they let you behind the wheel, and even then your choice of toys is limited. Also once you're in, your interests become secondary to the Army's, so don't think transferring units will be as straight forward as they might tell you. If you have your mind set on a particular trade, wait until there's a vacancy. REME might suit you, they'll teach you to operate the toys you fix as well, and you can go where everyone else goes as attached.

#55 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

With regards to the stretching/flexibility issues, I honestly don't know. It probably has had an input but even when I was younger I couldn't touch my toes with straight legs for example. Just one of those things.

I wouldn't worry too much about the fitness either. Its good to go having done some prep, but like Frank the Tank said, basic will take care of that. When I did the army selection, I ran 9:30. The best I ever got was 9:20 - I didn't really seem to improve much. Im currently around the 10 minute mark (which is actually pretty poor) but I am going to try and smash that down to close to 9 minutes over the next 6 months.

I thought you will get a full eye test when you join up anyway, courtesy of Her Majesty's Government. I wouldn't worry too much about it before hand - but the standard army issue glasses are sexy as hell. You will have women tripping over themselves :lol:

Ethel is right - don't get pushed into the infantry. If its genuinely what you want to do then fine, but think about it seriously. Its the most dangerous job in the army. There are a fair few guys that get out after one tour in Afghanistan. Its all very well and good thinking about it from home, but the reality of war is very different. If you can, I would try and speak to some lads in the infantry first and see what they think, and get some honest opinions from them. If you join up and go to Afghan, don't look back and think I'm never going to trust those bastards on TMF again :lol:

Every soldier I know shimfs about their job from time to time. But actually most of them enjoy it overall.

#56 mattdc2r

mattdc2r

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

You do get a full eye test when joining, I had one before going to pirbright as was supposed to be joining the REME as Aircraft techie. Was only after 2 days at selection centre and quite a bit of *******, I was told my eyesight wasn't good enough. So I joined the RAF instead. But even now I'm terrible with a rifle.

#57 Frank the Tank

Frank the Tank

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Local Club: Yet to find one local - ish

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

So I joined the RAF instead. But even now I'm terrible with a rifle.

Show me someone in the RAF good with a Rifle. ;D

#58 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

:lol:

I was on tour with a RAF copper. he was actually a knob but he has actually had a 4 month dependent to Italy. He was living in a hotel and getting extra money. And could even fly his family out for a short time. Unbelievable. He was just guarding planes though. That must be seriously boring for 6 months!

#59 mattdc2r

mattdc2r

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

RAF copper being a knob??? Surely not??? Lol.

If you go away with the Aircraft most of the time you will stay in Hotels if there is no barracks accommodation. It's to do with Aircrew needing 14 hours uninterrupted rest or something. Army Air Corps are the same, it's an aviation thing. Obviously not in Afghan. I was away recently with the C-17 crew, and we stayed in the Hilton Hotel everywhere we went. Hilton Barbados was particularly good.

#60 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Just a little update as I'm sort of keeping this as a public diary too.

Got most of my application filled out. All I need to do now is write down a reference or two and get proof of my education as I have no idea if I still have my official GCSE results. Might have left them when I moved from Cornwall. And that's it other than keeping my fitness training up. Bloody schools are closed for the Easter holidays though. Open again next week I think.

Speaking of which, actually... after some advice. Bit of a complicated one.

I was born in Basingstoke and lived here until I was about 4 years old. Then moved to Southampton until I left for Basingstoke again at 16. I left school in March 2003 and didn't have any more schooling in Basingstoke. I took my GCSE exams at my local secondary school. Proper felt like the odd one out! Their school uniform has a yellow shirt. I had to wear a white one. Stuck out like a sore thumb!

So just to recap:

Left school March 2003
Took GCSE exams at a school in a different town in June (or July?) 2003

If I need to get a replacement certificate or maybe just my results on a headed piece of paper, would I go to the school I took the exams at or would I have to contact the exam board?

I'll post a seperate thread if no-one that comes in this thread can help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users