Mark.

#48 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

Aw jeez where to begin, loads to spraff about!

I'll start with the boot. I ordered a Carbon fibre double skin boot lid from The Arc Angels. Pretty pleased with it. As far as composite panels go, it actually fits pretty well. The gap isn't 100% but it's not too far off. Goes without saying its a hellllll of a lot lighter too!  =] Only problem I had with it was where the latch attaches. I appreciate that these panels are usually used with additional fixing pins or clips but the actual shape of the inner skin where the latches mounts to was totally wrong, as I shall explain with photos! Shortly... 

So it began with lots of technical measuring, taping, and eh, measuring... Followed by some drilling and cutting! 

IMG_2286_zps685f2d39.jpg

After I got the hinge holes drilled in the right place and attached. I then had to find the centre of the boot lid so I could work out where to drill the hole for the latch. After I had drilled the hole is where I ran in to my problem. If you look at this genuine boot lid, you can see that along the top edge of the boot lid, where the latch is fixed, there is a recess which essentially lowers the locking part of the latch by about 4mm. 

IMG_2291_zps9929eb50.jpg

Whereas on the composite panel... 

IMG_2289_zps56627e88.jpg

No recess! Which as you can see in the photo, resulted in the square shaft on the boot handle being a good few mm south of the latch.  :xxx:

So! What did I do you may ask! After some head scratching on trying to choose the best possible modification, I came up with a solution! 

I decided to remove the horizontal face of the latch cover so that I could lower the latch down to the required location. Genius, I know...  ;D

IMG_2292_zps38dc448b.jpg

IMG_2290_zpsde7c05a0.jpg

But then, as you do with modifications, I came across another problem. As you can see in this next photo, the latch contains three springs! Which I discovered after spending half an hour looking for them on the floor after splitting the latch open and the internals going for a wonder.  :lol: The problem was that the internals and the casing were no longer held together with the original fittings. So every time I tried to offer it up to the car and put it together, it would all ping to pieces. Solution? cut the springs down a couple of coils! Maybe someone can confirm if this is okay to do. I can't see any issues with it as it's still secure and not as if the lock is able to flop about all over the place and open by its self. The white dots were just so I knew I put everything back together the way it came apart. 

IMG_2293_zps0dc158ac.jpg

The next issue I had with it was that because I had cut away the horizontal part of the casing, the latch wasn't as secure as it should be. Fortunately I had purchased some of Mark's shiny "Smiffy's Bits", including a boot latch cover. SO, I fitted the latch all together, including a strengthening washer I made up to go on the back of the skin where the handle attaches to prevent the spring washers chewing through the boot skin over time. Then! I fitted the shiny latch cover on top to finish it all off. 

All the bits: Don't worry, a new handle will be fitted along with a new seal! 

IMG_2295_zps66a87d2b.jpg

And... Ta-da! 

IMG_2298_zps0e0f467d.jpg

And the whole thing together... 

IMG_2297_zpseed3c0ea.jpg

As I say, I'm not totally pleased with the gaps but there's not much I can do now so Ill live with it.  =]

Next Chapter, front end! 

Edited by Elliskwleisk, 16 May 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#49 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

Very nice work, and a neat outcome, that internal cover looks great!

You could easily add some Fibreglass matting and resin to the edges and sand back to get perect gaps, time consuming but worth doing for peace of mind after paint, might bug you if you don't :P

Great work

#50 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

Front End!

I had already removed the necessary metal to accommodate brace bars and a removable front end. Plus, there is obviously the weight saving, cost saving - as its cheaper than metal panels - and the obvious ease to work on the engine if you can remove the whole front end. Decision made! So I purchased a Carbon Fibre front end from The Arc Angles with A Panels already bonded on. I had read good reviews and seeing as their products are quite expensive in comparison to others, I thought they must be the best. Well how wrong was I. Turns out, the more expensive product isn't always the better product. I'm not interested in getting in to a massive debate about how all mini's are different and are butchered over time and therefore cannot all fit the same composite panel mould's as my car was all original. The "FE" number was still on the inner wing along with all the original spot welds and the "F" number was still on the floor pan. It's not difficult to differentiate between factory spot welds and repairs so I know for a fact it wasn't the car. In all honesty, the biggest issue's of all were my lack of patience, experience, ability, tied in with my want for perfection. I could not for the life of me get it anywhere near where I wanted it to be. so before cutting it apart I decided it was best to seek help of someone else. 

So here's the brace bars and subframe attached. 

IMG_2299_zpsb5d892a7.jpg

To add to my frustration, I wasn't totally pleased with where the brace bars mounted too. The lower bolt looked fine as it was through two skins, but the upper bolt was only through one. I appreciated that this is almost a large box sectioned area, mounted inches away from the bulk head and cross member but even so. Anyway, it's obviously safe as so many use this technique of structural replacement if you like, in road legal cars, so my opinion on that matter is void. 

IMG_2301_zps4b734f14.jpg

So a few days went by of me fiddling with the panel. I had researched high and low for fitting advice reading everything from arguments not to bother, to people saying to cut it in three and then stick it all back together with fibreglass! That's when I decided to seek help with the fitment. So this is as far as I got. :mmkay:

IMG_2303_zps1e976b06.jpg

In the mean time, I decided to crack on with the inner wings. Although I wanted to have the removable front, I still wanted inner wings as I didn't want the contents of the road and every puddle I drive through to be thrown all over my shiny engine bay. Solution? Removable inner wings!  :teehee:

So out came the grinder! Cut out all the rot, drilled some holes, threw some self tappers through to hold it in place on the car, then made a template for a patch. 

IMG_2326_zps483d47f0.jpg

IMG_2329_zps67808a89.jpg

IMG_2330_zps3d9137c5.jpg

I don't know what it is about the metal on this car. I don't know if it's me, the welder, the gas or what but even Tommy said it, some of the metal is a right  :xxx: to weld! But in the end, I got the patches made. Some filler may be required...  :shy:

IMG_2327_zpsc84e0723.jpg

IMG_2331_zps52e33fd1.jpg

And then fitted to the car. The plan here was to hold each inner wing in place with about six rivnuts. Two on the top tab, three on the lower tab and one on the subframe. Then run a rubber type U channel trim around the edge of the inner wing, as I had previously removed the lip. This would then seal the inner wing to the outer wing.  :proud:

IMG_2359_zpsce7a05d8.jpg

IMG_2328_zps4a0fb114.jpg

As for the rest of the front end. I decided to get that finalised when I went to the body shop, so that will be in the next or so update. In the mean time, before I finish this chapter, I would like to take a moment for Mark at #VSC. 

This, is Mark. And I would like to invite you all to join me in sharing my sympathy for him and his dilemma. :angel:  Mark's problem is that he, like me, truly, genuinely loves mini's and the motors, which is why he chose the trade. In fact, that's not true, he's more obsessed with them than me! To the extent that sometimes he bores me with his mini chat... :unsure:  Unfortunately for him though, he has just crossed the point in life that requires a large vehicle with lots of seats and can no longer have a four seater. :cry: <-- His expression exactly. So he has purchased a Volvo Coach. Plus a caravan, and become a member of the Volvo owners club - he's in to the picnics and small talk about the weather kinda stuff. Anyhoo, we're feeling for you buddy, hang in there! :dontgetit:

IMG_2332_zps19fb56ab.jpg

Next update - Eh, various things! 

Edited by Elliskwleisk, 16 May 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#51 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

Oops, double post!

Edited by Elliskwleisk, 10 May 2014 - 11:05 PM.

#52 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:55 AM

Second time I'm typing this post as I clicked back by accident so I apologise If its a bit vague...  :mmkay: 

So this post is just some various bits and pieces. 

So, seats, seats, seats!  :D 

As I posted earlier, I traded my leg - or at least it felt like it - for these babies!  :wub: 

IMG_2150_zpsaa0f7fdc.jpg

I purchased some good quality sparco runners with them, but they were universal and therefore didn't fit the mini's standard mounting points so some brackets had to be made. Simple boxy brackets? Of course not! I wanted the seat to sit back at a good angle to keep my bum securely in place so some fancy angled bad boys were required! This plan worked quite well because although I am not extremely tall, with the minis standard seat position, I get sore legs and back after about half an hour of driving. So by making my own mounts, I could mount it where I liked. Insert wimp comment here--> ............  :lol:

So I got my self some 3mm mild steel flat bar, the biggest hammer I could find and some ear goggles! :shades: I started out by trying to make four brackets for each seat but they all turned out different sizes, with the bends at different places and the angles all wonky. Scratch that idea. Then I moved on to make two brackets per seat. These turned out a lot better and I could just twist them in the vice to adjust the angle. So I bolted the runners to the seat, High tensile steel bolts of course ;D, bolted the brackets to the runners and then popped the seat assembly in to the car to play with the position. Marked the position of the bracket feet, removed the seat assembly, removed the bracket from the runners, cleaned up the under side, painted with weld through primer and then welded them in to the car. I then repeated this for the passenger side but spent at least an hour scratching my head and cursing because I could not for the life of me get the seats to sit even. Turns out I was being a right plum and whatever I was using as my datum to measure from for both sides, wasn't actually central to the car!  :lol:  :shy:

So here's the Brackets.

IMG_2353_zpsc62ca393.jpg

Really pleased with the finished result. I felt that with the roll cage and all, that matching harnesses were necessary.  ;D I did consider the whole colour coded harness thing like I had in my blue mini (pictured below) but I felt that red harnesses were a bit too boy racerish. Also, coloured seat belts don't take kindly to Mcdonald's sweet and sour sauce, as a passenger I once had decided to ditch the pot on the harness.  :lol: That friendship was terminated instantly.  :mmkay:

IMG_0278_zps5c963f7c.jpg

So I just went for plain ones, still think it looks smart and clean. 

IMG_2362_zps8e1b29e5.jpg

My only concern is that I may have made the angle of the seat a bit severe...  :shy:  Undoubtedly, you're snug as a bug in the seats! But it feels like you're laying on a deck chair. :lol:  And when you go to look right, out of the door window, you actually look out the rear window. :lol: I think I may need to get my gear stick bent and lengthened slightly so I can reach it... And a deep DEEP dished steering wheel! But, if needs be, I can always manufacture some spacers for the rear of the seat to reduce the angle slightly. 

Anyhoo, once those brackets were finalised, that was practically all the body work finished for me, FINALLY!  :D Seeing as I felt out of my depth with the skinning of the doors and the front end. 

So because I had made a hash of one of the "quality" magnum door skins that I had purchased, I decided to make a cheeky wee mini spares order and get a couple of heritage door skins for the body shop to fit. Keep them happy with some quality items rather than the cheap crap. I was actually really impressed with the heritage panels. They must be made thicker than the magnum ones because the cheap ones would flex in your hand where as the heritage skins were straight as could be! They did have some small dents though...  :mmkay:  Fortunately nothing too severe. 

IMG_2349_zpsd436711b.jpg

So to fill the time between now and taking the car to the body shop and going on holiday, I decided to get on with stripping some bits and pieces down to get ready for the powdercoaters. 

Started with the old radius arms as I'll need to exchange these for recon'd units and I needed the handbrake cable guides. I didn't see the point in buying new ones when they only required a clean. 

IMG_2397_zps95c1f518.jpg

Next was a second hand servo unit. Everyone I spoke to suggested upgrading to servo'd brakes. I personally had never had them so I thought I'd give them a shot, see what all the fuss is about. If I don't like them, I can always change back. So I bought this second hand unit for the bracketry and the pedal box, which I stripped down too. I will however, be replacing the whole servo unit and master cylinder for new items. 

IMG_2405_zps363ed71f.jpg

IMG_2411_zps6a52104a.jpg

Finally, the heater. It was pretty cool actually as it had the old sticker still on the side. So I got the hot air gun out, heated it up and removed it in one piece to reapply later.  =] The only problem I had was that the side of the casing where the inlet and outlet for the heater matrix go, had some corrosion around the edges of the inlet hole. I tried to file it in to shape but its just so thin that it turned in to a right mess. :goaway: So I snuck to the other garage and slyly swapped it with the one on the blue mini.  :shifty:

IMG_2418_zps64d07c3b.jpg

IMG_2422_zpsdd4381b3.jpg

So that's most of it for now. I've got some engine brackets to look out first before I take it all up, along with the fuel tank, to get painted. I just hope I remember how it all goes back together...  :unsure:

IMG_2435_zps349e355b.jpg

IMG_2434_zpseb7aadbe.jpg

IMG_2433_zps1833802f.jpg

So that's all for now. I've got a couple of questions which I hope all you lovely knowledgeable folks can help me out on.

1. I have two heater matrix's which I have pictured below. Basically, I want to know which ones better? The one with the larger distance between the fins is definitely newer, however, its about a third thinner than the other one. Is one better than the other or is it a case of sticking a hose on the end and seeing which one is in better condition and has better flow? 

I did do a small test of hooking them both up to a feed to see which motor was best but they both appeared to be equal and have sufficient and balanced flow. Which I was surprised at as I expected the one with the tighter fin spacing to restrict the air flow slightly. 

IMG_2432_zpsa6f1bb0c.jpg

2. The servo pipe that runs from the servo to the inlet manifold. Its about the only part of my braking system that I do not plan on replacing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean this pipe? Or any info on what not to use to clean it.

That's all for now. I am actually back from holiday and I picked the car up from the paint shop last night! So stay tuned!  :techsupport: Pictures of it all doll'd up coming soon!  I wanted to be a bit different with the colour scheme so I went for something that I don't think has everrrr been done before! Doubt anyone will guess...  ;D Also, there was a last minute decision change to the build which has made a big difference which will be evident in the next update. But as they say at #VSC, Its not a Leisk Automotive Adventure without a last minute plot twist!  :lol:

#53 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:59 AM

Very nice work, and a neat outcome, that internal cover looks great!

You could easily add some Fibreglass matting and resin to the edges and sand back to get perect gaps, time consuming but worth doing for peace of mind after paint, might bug you if you don't :P

Great work

Thanks!  :D It turned out alright in the end! I just hope the carbon fibre doesnt crack...  :mmkay:

I did think about it, but its not something I have any experience with so I felt I'd leave that to the paint shop!  =]

Close to bolting the shiny bits on now! 

#54 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:01 AM

Thank you  :-)

In no great rush so whenever is good for you. 

I haven't forgotten about you mate! I will get the photos, just been really busy and haven't had a spare moment to the get phone out for a quick snap! Ill try and get it tomorrow, otherwise it'll be next week... 

#55 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

Here's a wee teaser!  :teehee:

IMG_2555_zps01bb48b0.jpg

#56 domdee

domdee

Formally known as dominicdee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Local Club: hull clubs on FB

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

Oh my. Looks sweet haha

#57 Banksy Boy

Banksy Boy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

No worries, looking good and learning quite a lot from the thread as I have just started to learn to weld this weekend. Last time I touched a welder was around 20 years ago lol.  :D

Not sure if it's be said before, where did the cage come from ? 

Edited by Banksy Boy, 11 May 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#58 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Soooo, I have finally reached the first milestone in the build! :D But I wont jump straight too it, Ill go through the story.  =]

So first, I took the car down to Simon in Darlington. The reason I chose him was that out of all the body shops I had spoken too, he was the only one who was enthusiastic and actually seemed interested in doing the work. I was happy with this because with the amount of money it costs and what is soon to be my new pride and joy, you have to find someone that you know will do the work properly and for someone to do the work properly, they have to be interested in it. So I popped down to see him and I was happy with his quality of work he had done on other vehicles that he had there and his team. Just seem like genuine, hardworking blokes who offer an adaptable and quality service. I can safely say that I would recommend them. So decision made! I decided to go with him. Here's the car dropped off, at what was, its home for the next few weeks. 

IMG_0286_zps9bce0c2f.jpg

And this is where the plot twist came in to action! We offered up the front end to get Simon's opinion on it. 

IMG_0289_zps28d14de1.jpg

Had a quick chin wag! 

IMG_0292_zps2cd798e8.jpg

And came to the conclusion that we would never get the fit that I desired without going in to crazy money in the time he'd have to spend. So! Out with the carbon fibre and in with some metal! The chosen solution was to fit a full metal front end. I'm actually quite happy that I went for this in the end because it just looks right and standard. Cost that I didn't expect to have to pay out for...  :mmkay: but in the end, I don't regret it. 

So the Carbon Fibre front and all the bits and pieces that are extra but are required are up for grabs! Give me a message if anyone is interested.  =] 

I also decided to drop the roll cage off to get painted the same colour as the car because I was concerned that If I didn't, there would be too many shades of red and that it would all clash. Simon also said that he was happy enough to fit the rear hoop in the car for me once he had painted it so that if he scratched it he could touch it up there, instead of me bringing it home and scratching it. 

IMG_0291_zpsd2edb66e.jpg

And that was that! I disappeared off on a plane to Canada on holiday for two weeks and then came back and went sailing on the west coast for a week! =]  Was quite nice to drop it off, go away for a bit and have a break from the car, then come back and it be finished. 

So after the sailing, I went down to Simon's to check how he was getting on and this is how it looked! Don't worry, plenty of work still to be done here! 

IMG_2521_zpsf1efe0cf.jpg

IMG_2519_zpsedc1ec0f.jpg

IMG_2520_zps20a6c707.jpg

IMG_2522_zps7969a510.jpg

There was a couple of bits I wasn't happy with but Simon is very understanding and accepting of individual requirements and was happy enough to sort them. To be fair, most of the things I pointed out were very minor and he had only noticed them now that the car had been pushed out in the light for me to see. He also hung the doors for me which was good because I could check the gaps and how they shut, which all looked good! 

I then went down the following week to collect the car and here it is!  :wub: Painted in Honda Mica Red with a VW Diamond pearlescent black roof! Ignore the seam strip hanging off!  :shy: Originally, when I had been looking for paint, I was given a sample of the red and it was also pearlescent. However, when I went to see Simon, he had already bought the paint and started painting and said that the paint code I gave him wasn't pearlescent. After a discussion with the paint supplier, we discovered that Simon in fact was correct and that whoever I was given the sample by may have added that in to make it custom. Anyways, I was disappointed with this at first, but actually, I'm quite pleased it wasn't because the solid colour just suits it better and with a good polish and coat of wax, it'll look great and give me that deep shine! 

As far as all the stone chip goes. I wasn't sold on the inside being stone chipped but it is growing on me! The only bit I don't like is the bulk head. I understand the need for the lower bulkhead behind the subframe to be stonechipped but stonechipping the upper bulkhead in the engine bay just looks wrong. However, I'm sure I can live with it. 

IMG_2550_zps2c3ba318.jpg

IMG_2553_zps0b26f870.jpg

IMG_2552_zps8b2bca3a.jpg

IMG_2551_zps7ab338a0.jpg

Once we got it home, Tommy and his son popped up to give us a hand to get it out of the van. Was a proper nervous moment! But we got it out fine with the extra man power. only damage was a couple of scrapes on the bottom but I can touch them up no problem! 

Just to clarify, the whole thing about the "completely different colour scheme" was a joke as I am aware that this scheme has been done a million and one times.  :lol: 

Oh, and here's the seat brackets I made that I was on about earlier! They don't look very angled in the photo.

IMG_2561_zps06ee175b.jpg

So, on wards! This weekend consists of lots of fun with waxoyl, sealant and insulation/sound proofing! Maybe with a bit of carpeting...  :D

Edited by Elliskwleisk, 14 May 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#59 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

Looks like a lovely paint job. You must be pleased.

What is the purpose of the stonechip on the inside of the floors?

Ben

#60 leadly

leadly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Local Club: [] D.C.M.O.C []

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

Looks awesome, top work pal!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users