Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

Unless you have a V5 for the donor shell and use the donor's VRM, VIN etc

But it's still a cloudy subject so do your research first

Edited by Ben_O, 03 March 2015 - 04:11 PM.

#47 StefanPieter

StefanPieter

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:46 PM

I almost had a little heart attack there... Thank you for the info guys. It could potentially save me a lot of effort and money.

The shell comes with vin # and V5 however I will do my research now that I know there is a potential snag.

#48 StefanPieter

StefanPieter

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:50 PM

Okay I did my homework.

If I reshell using a registered she'll I will essentially be rebuilding the car as the swop out shell and therefore retain identity of the replacement shell.

When I install a different engine to what the V5 states I will need to inform DVLA and there might be some hoops to jump through.

This might be common knowledge to many on here but rather over inform than under inform. Thank you for the heads up.

#49 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

some cracking bodges there, i always love the idea that if you cover up rust, it will go away... :D

#50 StefanPieter

StefanPieter

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:04 PM

some cracking bodges there, i always love the idea that if you cover up rust, it will go away... :D

Tell me about it... It was a shinner on the outside and filled with rot on the inside. Almost like a toffee with a soft centre.

I can tell you one thing. She will be on the road again. Maybe not this year but someday.

#51 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

Tell me about it... It was a shinner on the outside and filled with rot on the inside. Almost like a toffee with a soft centre.

I can tell you one thing. She will be on the road again. Maybe not this year but someday.

Thats how so many minis are, gleaming paint job over filler/rot. thats how my project is. Previous owner put meal plates over rot, and used filler/fibre glass to hide a rotten wheel arch..... my project started off with a simple respray..... 6 months later i'm still struggling to get it back on the road...

#52 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

Okay I did my homework.
If I reshell using a registered she'll I will essentially be rebuilding the car as the swop out shell and therefore retain identity of the replacement shell.
When I install a different engine to what the V5 states I will need to inform DVLA and there might be some hoops to jump through.
This might be common knowledge to many on here but rather over inform than under inform. Thank you for the heads up.

Informing DVLA about an engine change should be straight forward. At worst they may ask for it to be verified with an engineers report confirming the replacement engine is installed in the car.

So yes there may be loops, but only small ones :)

#53 StefanPieter

StefanPieter

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

Okay, a bit of a update...

After making a list of bits I needed I ended up buying an un-finished project. One Mini on the road is better than two of the road. The un-finished project was based on a 1990 Flame Red 998cc which came with a 1275cc motor and a number of other bits. The shell is in quite good condition so I am considering stripping Molly and for all intent and purposes starting from scratch.

The new mistress' name is Marilyn...

Bits I will be using:

• Shell
  • Engine and gearbox 1275cc - 12HA08AA - Metro 1300 HLE
  • Disk brake hubs
  • Front Subframe
  • Rear Subframe
  • Rear Hi-Lo's
  • Radius Arms
  • Fuel Tank - Large Capacity 
  • Steeting Column - newer than mine

Here are some photos:

BA55tKfl.jpg

eSZZM6wl.jpg

WPD283ul.jpg?1

LDhJBbil.jpg

The garage is over flowing now...

#54 StefanPieter

StefanPieter

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:05 PM

Its been awhile... Not having the java working on a mobile to insert pics is a pain. Anyway...

Update time!

Okay so first an update of the condition on the shell when I got it. I know what the purists are thinking. What about Molly? Well, I am planning to work on Marilyn, hone my skil, then take on Molly.

So lets get on with it.

The LS companion box. Dodgy weld burns indicate a hidden fix loooooming..

S3yRVRq.jpg

The LS inner sills have been patched. Suspicious... These plates are all round.

Id1vs2q.jpg

The RR wheel arch. The LR was patched with a plate but I will get to that later on.

HnnPthf.jpg

This is the RR wheel well. As you can see there are some welding burns from the patch in the inner well. Its ganna have to come out.

aN9oVdJ.jpg

Edited by StefanPieter, 09 May 2015 - 07:06 PM.

#55 StefanPieter

StefanPieter

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:36 PM

The start of the fixing.

First on the agenda as the oversills. Yes, I bought another one with oversill. This time I had more hope as the sills were newly welded in a few months before I bought the car.

The left side oversill cracked open.

rJQeSyI.jpg

As proof that oversills are the work of the devil I look a pic of the corrosion already forming even though the car as stored indoor and never saw a rainy day. There were droplets on the weld...  :nuke:

B5arOiB.jpg?1

The car was FULL of patches of steel all over the place. Badly welded over rust without treating the rust. One of these patches I cut out was on the floor.

SPqC5LM.jpg

Next was a patch on companion box that was spotted when removing the oversills.

xGrOXYF.jpg

The inside of the companion box.

2r4sigs.jpg

Next the right rear wheel well

700VEVh.jpg

cXidxSy.jpg

So I removed the wheel well, bottom of the companion box and some of the inner sill

sylcJdX.jpg

After poking around a bit more I realised the entire inner sill, front panel will need to be replaced.

7tjjuQM.jpg

The keen onlooker would of picked up that had to put bracing in. She was wobbling around far too much.

V6W3Llz.jpg

So... The time then came to take on my first weld on the car. I started off with a small 3D panel by the wheel well what had a funny shape to fix the patch that was welded over.

Before

DAiT9ek.jpg

After

oFFlIs3.jpg 

Not the most seamless fix but things will improve. I hope  >_<

Then the exciting bit. Panels!!! Yes!!

got them from M Machine and MiniSpeed. All the panels that are manufactured my M Machine are well made however they don't do wheel arches and the non-genuine items are shocking. I can't put that SH :tumble: T in. I will need to order some new ones.

AM1v0hh.jpg  

I didn't like the look of the placement pads on the innersills I chopped it off. Mmmmm... smooooth....

WFDfJyf.jpg

Now it is lining all the new bits up and start welding her back together again. 

#56 Numpty222

Numpty222

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:00 PM

Do you know the part numbers for those inner sills? I need some for mine and they look really good quality.

#57 StefanPieter

StefanPieter

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:08 PM

To be honest the easiest is just to give M Machine a call. They have a website and catalogue but the lady on the line knows more about Mini body work that I would ever know.

#58 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:16 PM

Do you know the part numbers for those inner sills? I need some for mine and they look really good quality.

11.31.04.37 Floor Inner Sill to First Groove, LH, Mk1-5 £31.50 £37.80 

11.31.04.38 Floor Inner Sill to First Groove, RH, Mk1-5 £31.50 £37.80

#59 StefanPieter

StefanPieter

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

Helpful as always Neil.

Thanks.

#60 Numpty222

Numpty222

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:41 PM

Thanks guys. I've looked online at them and have brought from m machine before. Just wanted to make sure I'm getting the right ones.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users