63 replies to this topic

#1 Jon937

Jon937

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:39 PM

I have had a look through everything i can find on this site about the best 10" wheels that fit with no arch extensions.

i want to maintain the classic steel wheel look while having the biggest brakes possible i.e. 7.9" vented.i think 8.4" vented would be too big.

Would 3.5" wheels with a 6mm spacer, to give same offset as the 4.5" S wheels, fit 7.9" vented brakes under with no arch extensions?

#2 hoppus

hoppus

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:00 PM

I have had a look through everything i can find on this site about the best 10" wheels that fit with no arch extensions.

i want to maintain the classic steel wheel look while having the biggest brakes possible i.e. 7.9" vented.i think 8.4" vented would be too big.

Would 3.5" wheels with a 6mm spacer, to give same offset as the 4.5" S wheels, fit 7.9" vented brakes under with no arch extensions?

Forget 8.4 they simply wont fit.

Something i didn't realise when i got my 7.9's is that they stick any wheel further out that the 7.5 breaks.

Ill chuck on a 4.5 steelie if you want and tell you if it sticks out? (not sure when I can get to mine though)

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,948 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:03 PM

Think on here. Going vented ( not that I think you will need it) will also move you wheels out a bit.

Why do you think you need to over brake the car when you seem to be wanting to run standard thin tyres?

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:08 PM

Unless it is for long distance racing the standard 7.5" Cooper 'S' brakes are superb for all competition so long as you use Carbon-Metallic pads and AP600 brake fluid.

#5 Patriot

Patriot

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:15 PM

I have just fitted 10" Rostyle 1275GT wheels with KAD 7.5 calipers and disc, you do need a 6mm spacer but all works and looks really good.

#6 Jon937

Jon937

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:24 PM

Its just I would like a standard mk1 look be want to run 1293 turbo 16v engine with KADs 5 speed gears. I just felt that I needed as much braking effort as possible.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:31 PM

If you are going to be driving it on the public roads, then the brakes won't be an issue so long as you fit top quality discs and pads. The race & rally Cooper 'S's had/have to run 7.5" brakes to meet the regulations and they work fine. If you actually need huge brakes on a road car you may well not have a licence for very long ;D . With 3.5" wheels, if that's what you fit, you'll be running 145/80 x 10 tyres and the braking limit in the dry will be the tyres, not the brakes.

#8 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:40 PM

My drum brakes are more than up to the job of locking up the 145 tyres. Sure disc brakes won't fade as quick, but as Cooperman says above the tyres will be the weakest point, not the brakes.

You wouldn't possibly be able to get the power down either... I'd think at least you need some 4.5" rims and some sticky Yoko tyres

#9 Jon937

Jon937

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:43 PM

Looking on kads site they sell 7.75" brakes both solid and vented.

Would these fit under 4.5x10" steelies archless?

or the 7.5" KAD brakes say they require wheel spacers, does anywhere sell 7.5" alloy calipers that fit under the Cooper S wheels?

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,948 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:43 PM

My drum brakes are more than up to the job of locking up the 145 tyres. Sure disc brakes won't fade as quick, but as Cooperman says above the tyres will be the weakest point, not the brakes.
You wouldn't possibly be able to get the power down either... I'd think at least you need some 4.5" rims and some sticky Yoko tyres

But then you have a very poor tyre shape. 165 need to be on a 6" rim really.

#11 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:46 PM

If you are going to be driving it on the public roads, then the brakes won't be an issue so long as you fit top quality discs and pads. The race & rally Cooper 'S's had/have to run 7.5" brakes to meet the regulations and they work fine. If you actually need huge brakes on a road car you may well not have a licence for very long ;D . With 3.5" wheels, if that's what you fit, you'll be running 145/80 x 10 tyres and the braking limit in the dry will be the tyres, not the brakes.

An ou tof the blue question, what differential did the cooper and S run? Also standard singlepins? ( ou tof curiosity :P )

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:09 PM

The original 1071 'S' had a 3.76:1 FDR as standard when introduced in 1963. The 1275 'S' had the higher 3.44:1 as standard whilst the 970 'S' had the 3.76:1.

Most of the Cooper 'S's used in historic rallying run 165/70 x 10 tyres on 4.5" alloy wheels with standard 'S' 7.5" brakes and special pads and fluid.

#13 Jon937

Jon937

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:09 PM

Does anyone know if the monoblock calipers sold by twinkam fit under 4.5" Cooper S wheels without spacers?

Thank you everyone for your help so far

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:27 PM

The only way to get it right is to fit Cooper 'S' 7.5" discs and 'S' callipers. They work extremely well with Carbon-Metallic pads.

What is the proposed use for this car?

#15 Jon937

Jon937

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:41 PM

Road and track days. I just wanted to see if anywhere had alloy 7.5" calipers that fit under Cooper S wheels, as to aid in keeping the unsprung weight to a minimum

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users