• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,041 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:56 PM

To be honest, even if there were, unless it's for an absolute out-&-out racing car you would notice no difference. Track days are totally different from actual racing. Just set the car up with Cooper 'S' 7.5" non-vented discs, 'S' callipers and carbon-metallic pads (from Mini Spares). Then fill with AP600 competition brake fluid and you'll have no braking issues at all. 

Even the full-on historic Mk.1 Cooper 'S' historic race cars which have over 125 bhp and which are unsuitable for road use don't have any brake issues with the set-up I've described.

#17 Jon937

Jon937

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:48 PM

okay thank you for your help. Do you know if the 4.5" Cooper S wheels will fit under with arch extensions along with the 7.5" cooper S brakes? just want to make sure before buying any parts.

#18 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:11 PM

You don't need arch extensions with 4.5" Minilite wheels so long as they are the ST type as sold by Mini Spares. They fit under the standard arches as they did on the original Cooper 'S' with the 4.5" wheel option.

Here is my rally 'S' with the 4.5" wheels, 165/70 x 10 tyres and no arch extensions together with my Innocenti which has 'S' brakes, no arch extensions and 4.5" Firsat steel wheels:

100_2257.jpg

#19 BritishRacingGreen

BritishRacingGreen

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:31 PM

If the OP Is planning on using a 16v 1293 turbo then he could be seeing up to 250hp, double that of the rally minis you speak of. I don't have much experience with mini brakes but personally I'd want something pretty beefy if I had that much power available.

To be honest, even if there were, unless it's for an absolute out-&-out racing car you would notice no difference. Track days are totally different from actual racing. Just set the car up with Cooper 'S' 7.5" non-vented discs, 'S' callipers and carbon-metallic pads (from Mini Spares). Then fill with AP600 competition brake fluid and you'll have no braking issues at all. 
Even the full-on historic Mk.1 Cooper 'S' historic race cars which have over 125 bhp and which are unsuitable for road use don't have any brake issues with the set-up I've described.

#20 Jon937

Jon937

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

I am not planning on making it as fast as possible but to have as much torque as possible aswell as being light, while maintaining a standard mk1 look.

thank you for everyones help.

#21 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:57 PM

If you want it light, you might not want to choose steel wheels, maybe a period alloy

#22 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,947 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:05 PM

I am not planning on making it as fast as possible but to have as much torque as possible aswell as being light, while maintaining a standard mk1 look.

thank you for everyones help.

Then lighten your engine rotating parts.

#23 Jon937

Jon937

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:18 PM

Does anyone know if twinkams 7.5 monoblock calipers will fit under the 4.5x10 Cooper S wheel?
Also based on the last post from Nick does anyone know any company selling lighter engine internals or instructions for lightening those parts?

#24 Jon937

Jon937

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:15 PM

Does anyone know if the 7.9" 6 pot brakes fit under Force's 10" split wheels?
Would I then be able to buy some weller wheels to be converted would fit 6 pots, under the wing without arch extentions?
If this is possible please suggest what width inner and outer rim widths I would require?

#25 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:32 AM

The KAd 6pots don't have dust seals so not a good idea for use on the road.

Any good engine shop can lighten engine parts

Edited by Gr4h4m, 17 June 2015 - 07:55 AM.

#26 ac427

ac427

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:26 PM

So what are the best road pads to use, that wont squeal ?

#27 Jon937

Jon937

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:32 PM

I know the kad 6 pots haven't got seals but I don't mind cleaning my brakes often.
Lightening the engine parts, what could I do myself to save money? I an automotive technician so have/have access to most of the tools I would require.

#28 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:48 PM

Why the need for 6 pots? The mini is a light weight vehicle so the stopping power required isn't particularly high. Granted if you are planning to run your mini faster then you will likely need better performing brakes than the original drums but over braking your car isn't wise. Sticking some decent pads on the 7.5" Cooper s setup should provide ample stopping power, I currently run the carbon metallic pads on mine and I am pretty impressed so far (only just fitted and not fully broken in yet). When I up the power and do a full job on restoring the car I will likely fit a servo as that is where I am lacking currently but until then I am happy.

#29 Jon937

Jon937

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

I'd just prefer to have brakes bigger than I'd need instead of brakes that might be man enough.
A servo will not provide any more braking force, just make it easier to depress the pedal.

#30 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:27 PM

I'd just prefer to have brakes bigger than I'd need instead of brakes that might be man enough.
A servo will not provide any more braking force, just make it easier to depress the pedal.

That's fair enough but the 6 pots were designed with very high performance track vehicles in mind where breaking forces are much higher and more frequent and tyre grip is much higher. I think you would struggle to find a tyre package that is road legal that will not lock up under braking using the 6 pot setup. Thus you would likely have a better all round system that suits a road setup more by downsizing slightly.

Also I am fully aware a servo isn't going to increase braking effort, I just want an improved pedal feel.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users