Photo
- - - - -

No Spark At Coil

electrical engine

Best Answer dklawson , 19 July 2015 - 02:39 PM

For future use, you may want to swing by (or order online) and get a cheap multimeter from Harbor Freight.  They have a number of $6 ones.  They are not super high-quality but they are inexpensive and work well enough.  I leave one in the boot of each of my British cars.  It looks like you have three stores in your area.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 minimarkybecks

minimarkybecks

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:52 PM

Hi Ladies and Gents.

I have a 1991 Rover Mini 998cc Japanese Spec Mini, now imported to Canada.

Two pack instrument binnacle. UK 'City' spec, but with opening rear windows.

The AC system has been removed, and some emmission control stuff.

So its now nearly a 'standard' 998cc.

It has no spark at the coil. In other words when I hold the coil lead to earth and turn the engine, I see no spark jump.

The car was running very well following a tune up, and removing and cleaning a dirty gummy carb.

The gummy carb was giving me 'gas in spurts', high idling speed and emmision problems.

Its got new plugs, points, cap, rotor, coil, good leads, good battery.

Good coolant, good compression, correct gaps on points and plugs and timing as best I can do by ear without a tacho.

The engine turns nice and fast, it has fuel, and you can smell unburnt fuel at the tailpipe.

It had just had a nice motorway run before going in for an emmission re-test.

Paranoid, I left it ticking over so as to keep the engine warm while waiting for the test.

But the engine cut out leaving the ignition lights on, as if it had been stalled.

I could not restart the engine and have tried spare coil, points and condensor still with no luck or spark at the coil.

I have tried a spare HT lead on the coil too.

Strange thing is it was running the best it ever has on the way to the emmission test.

But never made in to be tested.

Then was brought back home on a flatbed truck :(

It must be something silly. I cannot see any broken wires or obvious loose connections.

Am I going Mini Mad, or am I missing something obvious?

It has a Lucas 45D4 Distributor and a HS4 Carb. Nothing fancy modified to it. Just a standard 998cc.

All the lights, horn, wipers etc work OK.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Many Thanks.

Mark, Malfunctioning Mini Brit in Niagara Falls, Canada.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,435 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:19 AM

Trace through the low tension bits first, connect a test light in place of the coil and see if it can turn that on and off by turning the engine (pushed in gear, ignition on, no spark plugs); a dwell meter is better if you have one.

#3 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:01 AM

What colour wires do you have on the coil + White/pink and White/yellow is a ballasted system and 9v If you put a volt meter on the coil + do you have a reading with the ignition on? If not then you have issues with the supply to the coil, maybe the resistor White/pink has melted ? Common.

If you do not have a supply feed to the coil then removed the coil - connection and put a temporary earth wire on the coil - and earth it out, now with the ignition on flash the coil feed wire (White/pink) and the coil should produce a spark from the HT lead in the turret to earth, if not suspect the coil  it should produce a spark under those tests. if your getting a spark then as above suspect coil switching by the LT circuit and do Ethels tests as above.

If then you find the points are not switching ok then check the small earth wire in the distributor between baseplate and the distributor body.

I would have though the tests we have both listed would be enough to help pinpoint the fault.

Obviously general look at the points washers to ensure they are not split/misplaced, and the carbon brush in the cap

Edited by KernowCooper, 18 July 2015 - 10:03 AM.

#4 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:52 AM

You have already gotten good advice above so I won't repeat it in my post.

Should you be unable to sort this yourself, visit the Mini Mania board and "ping" users "Notabmw" (Tony) and "Cranium" (Darren).  Tony is in your area and Darren is in Buffalo.  They may be able to help.  There are a couple of other Canadian Mini owners in your area who may be able to help.  Tony should be able to tell you who is nearby.

#5 minimarkybecks

minimarkybecks

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:49 PM

Thanks guys for your time and advice. I have been studying the wiring diagram and will buy a voltage meter today.

Hopefully I will get a couple of hours later to start testing and tracing things.

WIll let you guys know when I have sucess and what worked!

Thanks again, Mark.

#6 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug

Posted 19 July 2015 - 02:39 PM   Best Answer

For future use, you may want to swing by (or order online) and get a cheap multimeter from Harbor Freight.  They have a number of $6 ones.  They are not super high-quality but they are inexpensive and work well enough.  I leave one in the boot of each of my British cars.  It looks like you have three stores in your area.

#7 minimarkybecks

minimarkybecks

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

Hey Guys,

Got the Mini started, and she passed the emissions test today!!

I cleaned up the contacts on the starter relay and put a bit of vaseline on them.

I checked the voltage on the coils with the ignition on.

New coil about 3V

Old coil about 4V.

Then separated the points and they sparked!! WOW!

So regapped them and she fired up staight away.

Cant see it being the started relay and the contacts were not green or anything, just dirty.

Bit of a mystery? As I tried a spare coil, points and condensor the night it wouldnt start.

But thanks guys.

Mark.

#8 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

How were you checking the voltage on the coil + thats a really low voltage reading, I was expecting 9v or 12v

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical, engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users