64 replies to this topic

#1 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

Hi, a few electrical questions. I'm re wiring my 1980 1000 HL. Nice simple job to start did the front indicators. Moved up to the front headlamps and the lenses are in place but no wiring. The rear lenses are a bit more complicated. The car came with the MK4 (I think) rear lenses with reversing lights. They were both badly damaged so I purchased the earlier ones with no reversing lamps. I want to perhaps use a nice old style lamp as the reversing light. As you can see from the attached picture it would be good to use the existing connectors but the wiring is different colours. Although the wiring in the loom is similar with green and red as you can see. The original lenses seem to have completely different colours.

Attached Files

#2 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

These are the wires in the loom, the loom seems to be like the new lenses but the old lenses have blue yellow and red. Blue appears to be the indicator which would be red and green on the left of the car??? But which one of the yellow and red corresponds with the red and green which is the brake light and side light. The purple one will be the reversing light presumably.

#3 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:03 PM

Attached File  IMG_1581.JPG   49.2K   2 downloads

#4 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

Hi - I see nobody volunteered an answer. 

Someone probably knows which colour is which (I don't happen to) but If you have a battery (or 12v power source of some kind) just earth the lamp body and connect each cable in turn to the positive to see which one is which (or you can connect it the other way round, as a bulb will work either way! - assuming they aren't LEDs)

A tip - if you are planning to scrap the MkIV (reversing light) lamps, cut the plug off the lamp (with most of the cable) and splice them onto the the Mk2/3 lamps then you can just plug them into the loom with no need to cut off the plug on the loom or otherwise mess the loom about (and then you can always go back to MkIV lamps more easily later if you wanted to) - you can then also use the existing spare cable off one or other (or both) plugs to connect to your chosen reverse lamp set up (but please insulate that cable if you don't use it, as it will be live whenever you select reverse gear!!!

Regards

#5 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

Forgot to say

If I was guessing, I would say the red cable would be the tail light and the yellow(MKIV) or dark green(Mk2/3) would be the brake light but it will only take you a second to double check to be certain - Just to be clear, in your picture of the Mk2/3 lamp it seems to have two green cables - the one on its own is the indicator, I am talking about the one next to the red cable into the same bulb holder

Obviously different colours in the loom itself as you mentioned (Green/red LH or Green/white RH indicators, Green/purple-Brake light, Green/Brown-Reversing light

Regs

#6 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:00 AM

Thanks, its helpful

#7 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:01 PM

I need a bit of diagram help. My car was rebuilt with a standard solenoid on the side of the engine bay. However with the new A+ engine I am using a starter motor with a solenoid on the top. I’m assuming that all the connections on the solenoid need extending so that they reach around to the starter motor. This includes the fat battery cable and all the brown wires that connect to the same terminal on the solenoid. The white and red wire that runs from the ignitions switch attaching to the other spade connector on the new starter motor. My wiring diagrams don’t show the new wiring on the starter because its from a later model. Can anyone help me out with a picture of a modern starter motor. I don’t want to wire it wrong and have a Big Bang.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:47 PM

Just went to the shed to check my 1980 clubby estate for you. The battery input and output wires and the large brown and brown/blue go to the inner ring terminal(toward the centre of the car).

White red goes to the upper most large spade terminal as a trigger wire

Edited by cal844, 25 September 2018 - 08:52 PM.

#9 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:52 PM

Something I bought years ago which I still use today is one of these:

https://www.ebay.co....d&ul_noapp=true

You can push 12v or add earth to anything you touch which would allow you to test wiring such as wiring up these lamps or anything else for that matter. There could be cheaper ones online. The newer PP also has a voltmeter on the front and LEDs to help see (good when you're on your back checking wiring under dashboards on newer cars)

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:02 PM

I use a power probe 3, it has the led lights on it, also can do peak to peak tests for more modern sensors etc

#11 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:18 PM

For the starter you can use the original solenoid as a junction box or you can bypass it and put a relay in. If you don't put a relay or use your old solenoid then you may burn your ignition switch.

theres a few threads on it 

http://www.theminifo...to-pre-engaged/

#12 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:41 PM

Thanks guys so the answer seems to be to use the existing solenoid as a relay. Makes sense. All I do is move all the wires over on the original solenoid. I have an alternator set up so there are a load of brown wires as well.

I’ve attached a picture of what I currently have and what I think I’m supposed to do? Can somebody confirm so I don’t have a Big Bang and fire LOL

Attached Files

#13 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:46 PM

Presumably the motor will always be live from the battery and only triggered by the 30amp wire in the event the ignition is switched

#14 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:14 PM

Thanks guys so the answer seems to be to use the existing solenoid as a relay. Makes sense. All I do is move all the wires over on the original solenoid. I have an alternator set up so there are a load of brown wires as well.

I’ve attached a picture of what I currently have and what I think I’m supposed to do? Can somebody confirm so I don’t have a Big Bang and fire LOL

All your existing wiring needs to be moved over to the right hand post and terminal set. The white/red wire is extended to go to the solenoid (trigger wire when key is against the spring, to fire the solenoid)

#15 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:19 PM

So set your wiring as per the left diagram you have above BUT

Move the heavy wire which goes to the starter to the other post.

White/red is then removed from the centre terminal and extended as the solenoid trigger wire

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users