387 replies to this topic

#121 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 02:03 PM

Make sure you use decent ones - you wouldn't want the thread stripping out of monkey metal ones if you had to stop suddenly or were in an accident.

#122 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 17 December 2020 - 02:44 PM

Will go massively oversized

#123 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 02:59 PM

This looks great. Good timing too as I am just my elise seats into mine. I am going to use wing nuts for the back fixings for spare wheel access

cheers; quite pleased with the results

in hindsight i should have trial fitted the seat and lower frame section before drilling and bolting them together, as i found that the lower section needed to be offset slightly to avoid fouling on the tunnel so had to drill another pair of holes

#124 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 10:14 PM

What's you time frame to complete the build

#125 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 11:08 PM

i haven't set myself any particular target.  getting it back on the road for the summer is possible....

#126 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 09:49 PM

finally got delivery of the inlet & exhaust system from maniflow; 3-4 weeks lead time turned out to be more like 8, but it's here now, so i'm happy

QxwuCJK.jpg

made up the hangers for the seat front mounts

lNk9S13.jpg

then went to tack them into place to check final position before welding them in place. managed to tack on of them on before a problem with the wire feed on the welder stopped play; wire would run freely through the gun and liner, so suspected a problem with the feed motor

so...

G1w3nVk.jpg

pulled the wire feed motor out to find the output shaft was really stiff, so cleaned it up, gave it some lubrication, put it back together again and carried on

first bit of welding i've done in about 10 years, and seems to have come out pretty well

lsXKKvz.jpg
NfFX5VY.jpg

that completes the seat mounts; just need to mark up and drill the floor for the rear mounts then i'll take the seats out and give the mount frames a lick of paint to finish them off.

Edited by KTS, 20 December 2020 - 10:20 PM.

#127 Blake71

Blake71

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 04:22 PM

Whilst Ben keeps him self busy doing the hard yards on my pickup, i thought it about time to kick off my own topic to follow it's journey back to the road

to save typing it all again, here's the history..

http://www.theminifo.../332476-newbie/

..and here's where you can see Ben providing another masterclass in mini restoration

http://www.theminifo...-isle-of-wight/

Thought long and hard (..it's called procrastination, i think..) about where to start this topic before deciding it had to start with this..

KxcXhQt.jpg?1

it's a 12.5" mk4, small boss, dished moto-lita steering wheel that was given to me about 30 years ago when i got my first mini - no idea what it came from, but it's been in every mini i've owned, and will go back in the pup when it's done

picture doesn't really do it justice, but it was in a very poor state of repair; filthy dirty, leather full of cracks and some of the stitching coming apart, to the extent that i did consider sending it off to mota-lita to get it refurbed, but decided against it as i wanted to retain some of its character

first step, clean it

CnIlCYr.jpg

..and clean it some more, 'til it looks like this

5OpRF1o.jpg

gRYiTGr.jpg

..then moisturise it endlessly 'til the leather softens up and a lot of the finer cracks disappear..(..tried lots of different products for this, but found E45 hand cream gave great results)

Tn3i9JM.jpg

..and finally, have a go at restitching the cover back on..

Q4PfHiG.jpg

not looking too bad considering the state it started out.

still have the boss to sort out; needs a good clean and a new coat of black crackle finish paint, but that'll be for another day

That looks great, top work.

#128 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 05:52 PM

a little bit more fettling of the seat frames done over the last few days;  welding up the base frame where i'd had to move the drillings, welded nuts to the underside for the fasteners, primered them (..painting will have to wait 'til it warms up a bit), dug out some fasteners and made up a set of small spreader plates that'll be used to bolt the frame through the floor pan.

BJhLXNE.jpg

pK0uoUg.jpg

knAv6QU.jpg

#129 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:14 PM

a bit more done on the seats today...

although in pretty good condition the drivers seat is unsurprisingly a little more worn than the passenger.  I did consider just swapping them over, but that would mean the recliner adjust would get in the way of the seat belt clip, so decided the better option was to swap the cushions on the frames

first job:  prise out the centre of the adjuster with a pair of thin flatblade screwdrivers, and then remove the knob and carefully knock out the two plastic pegs (..from the inside..)

HPXsRZv.jpg

DeaqamO.jpg

retrieve any old coins the previous owner may have left in the seat, and having bought a torx T50 bit, undo the four bolts that attach the back and base 

a2HUBQU.jpg

carefully unclip the plastic trim section that attaches the seat cover to the front edge of the seat, fold the seat base backwards to do the same at the back

S373j66.jpg

the seat back has a full width plastic clip across the base.  once that's unclipped, the cover is folded back over itself about half way up the seat back to allow the frame to come out

sGYRFx6.jpg

IQ5Djax.jpg

the right hand bolster support on the drivers seat had been folder over (looks to have been manufactured that way) which explains why the driver seat was a little lopsided.  nothing that a large adjustable wrench and a club hammer couldn't put right  :proud:

9O742sS.jpg

SODJSOS.jpg

..and job done

lpR21Qt.jpg

Edited by KTS, 30 December 2020 - 08:18 PM.

#130 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:50 PM

not much of an update this time; more a case of one step backwards and one forwards....

having fitted the seats, and being generally quite pleased with myself at a job well done, i had a nagging feeling that maybe the seat position wasn't quite right - not helped by the fact that i haven't actually driven the thing since 2009, so did what i should probably have done in the first case and re-fitted a standard seat to remind myself what the original seating position would have been

DDsKOAZ.jpg

not too far off in terms of overall height, but did highlight the fact that the seat bases on the new seats were very flat, so after a comparison with the seats in the daily drivers and deciding it needed a bit more angle adding in, set about remaking the lower section of the rear frame to take about 30mm out, and added a 1/2" spacer to lift the front.  also welded the brace bar to the upper section while i had the welder out just to make fitting a bit easier

LPWHEKX.jpg

both seat frames modified and much happier with the positions now.  As an added bonus, reducing the height of the lower frames means i can now get a 165 spare behind the passenger seat rather than having to use 145.

iGAXMJe.jpg

#131 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 08:25 PM

re-doing the headlining has been keeping me occupied for the last few weeks, but fortunately as it's on a frame i've been able to do most of it in the house where it's a lot warmer than my garage.

First thing to do is stitch the headliner to the crossmembers on the frame - originally this would have stapled in place, but i don't have any stapling pliers and didn't see much point in buying some just for this.  having said that, it would have made this stage a damn sight faster to complete

pvKvW9E.jpg

...then araldite some shaped blocks into the frame so i can mount LED strips 

oZbIi1k.jpg

...tension up the material and let it stand for a few days to let the fabric settle

V1YFhSu.jpg

..followed by a re-tension and fix in place using carpet tape on the frame and lots of clips rather than messing about with contact adhesive

fct7HPT.jpg

fit the lights and run the wiring 

csYEEH5.jpg

..and then finally fit it  :proud:

cnBChbi.jpg

Still need to neaten up the wiring around the original light fitting (..which could do with replacing ideally) but other than that fairly happy with that

#132 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:19 PM

That looks fantastic. I was thinking about sticking material direct to the roof. Not sure my frame is that straight after trying to get the bloody thing out

#133 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:58 PM

Cheers. Mine was pretty bent as well, but did straighten out ok. Just need to be gentle and do a bit at a time. last thing you want to do is over stress and break it as they're virtually impossible to replace...

#134 longtimenomini

longtimenomini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 02:33 PM

Looking good, intrigued about the led strips

#135 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 07 February 2021 - 02:42 PM

re-doing the headlining has been keeping me occupied for the last few weeks, but fortunately as it's on a frame i've been able to do most of it in the house where it's a lot warmer than my garage.

First thing to do is stitch the headliner to the crossmembers on the frame - originally this would have stapled in place, but i don't have any stapling pliers and didn't see much point in buying some just for this.  having said that, it would have made this stage a damn sight faster to complete

pvKvW9E.jpg

...then araldite some shaped blocks into the frame so i can mount LED strips 

oZbIi1k.jpg

...tension up the material and let it stand for a few days to let the fabric settle

V1YFhSu.jpg

..followed by a re-tension and fix in place using carpet tape on the frame and lots of clips rather than messing about with contact adhesive

fct7HPT.jpg

fit the lights and run the wiring 

csYEEH5.jpg

..and then finally fit it  :proud:

cnBChbi.jpg

Still need to neaten up the wiring around the original light fitting (..which could do with replacing ideally) but other than that fairly happy with that

Thats the first proper tutorial on how to do a Pickup/Van headlining! Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm less afraid to giving it a go now!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pickup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users