#46 fokko

fokko

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:19 PM

Moved on with the work; dismantled the other radius arm, to find out two issues;

Score marks on the brake backplate (worn wheel bearing?);

tl4ZCUh.jpg

Brake backplate mating face with huge amount of rust;

Xp2Om70.jpg

owJPI4e.jpg

Out came the radius arm pivot shaft which was wet...

XzOF5U1.jpg

And the side of the bush looked like this:

mU61fvs.jpg

So I decided to get another radius arm. This one is from a 1992 SPI Mini and apparently it had been lying outside somewhere for quite some time;

crNS5Iq.jpg

Took out the pivot shaft and it was even worse...

cYrasuQ.jpg

But the brake backplate mating face was better:

V5KKdUS.jpg

Prepared it for glass bead blasting:

pb8gpL0.jpg

And the result:

YO86U2v.jpg

Asked a friend to press in a new bush and ream it to size:

1BPCRho.jpg

Painted and ready to build parts to it:

LiFR6nw.jpg

Then returned to the subframe. Apparently the previous owner had issues removing the exhaust bracket or maybe the exhaust hit something, because this hole should be round...

18iZx77.jpg

Put on the last new rubbers:

mACxa0F.jpg

Removed the old brake lines (not MOT worthy):

MrDxm92.jpg

Cleaned the splitter, first mechanically and then I put it in the ultrasonic cleaner... Before:

hx2FhiO.jpg

After:

rclkX71.jpg

Then I started working on the fuel lines. I have a set of original, but used SPI fuel lines. I figured I could put them on my shell. It would just require the change in the front bulkhead (which I already fixed in earlier posts) and a change in the rear seat. How wrong could I be... I started working on the hole in the boot floor to accommodate the 3 fuel lines. I cut the flanges from one of the rubber grommets I have and used that as a template. Looking carefully at the pictures of the Blue MPI Mini Ben_O has restored to find the right location and started cutting away metal. When done, I did a test fit and discovered the fit was terrible. This was due to the fact that the front floor should have room for the lines as well and the boot floor seems even more different then I thought...

EJp1pV6.jpg

cUgNiuE.jpg

4CqtZhh.jpg

Q3RyqPX.jpg

yU4ji6O.jpg

I don't have pictures when the fuel lines were test fitted, but I can assure you it didn't work. I now ordered new 8mm cunifer lines, which I will be custom fitting (I ordered a flare tool as well). I will lead them around the front floor board, just like the original line. I will use the original SPI/MPI fuel filter for which I need to create flares etc. More on that later...

#47 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:04 PM

Nice work.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares