Photo
- - - - -

What Coil For Electronic Distributors (65Dm4) ?

engine electrical

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Marriott

Marriott

Starting My Mini Up

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 11:43 AM

Apologies if this has been asked already. I've recently bought a new electronic distributor and I want to swap it with the old points/condenser one I have now, I understand that the coil I'm using will need to be changed from the current one however I'm unsure which model I should go for. My wiring loom is off a slightly older car I think so im not sure if its ballast or non, what type will I need to avoid melting my nice new distributor. P.S ive read that a 12Volt coil is needed but is strictly on ballast systems only Any help is much appreciated

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 11:54 AM

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

Use with 12V, not a ballast supply.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 January 2021 - 11:54 AM

You need to convert to 12v coil. Quite easy really, all you need cis a piggy back spade connector, a length of appropriate size wire.

Connect the piggy back spade to the wire, then fit it to a terminal with the white wires at the fuse box.

The other end of this wire goes to coil +.

You also need a GCL143 type coil (this is an old Unipart number but can be cross referenced.

Edited to add::

You also need to remove and bin the white/yellow from the coil and starter.

Edited by cal844, 06 January 2021 - 02:11 PM.

#4 Marriott

Marriott

Starting My Mini Up

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:53 PM

Great, thanks for your help guys. I'll get the coil ordered :) Any requirements for the wire or can I use normal stuff Cheers

#5 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:59 PM

http://classicmini.w...ing-a-coil.html

If you have a white and pink and a white and yellow to +be side of coil it’s ballast, if you have a single white it’s non ballast

I think ballast systems were fitted from 1984 to1990 (1992 for 998)

Edited by steeley, 06 January 2021 - 01:17 PM.

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 01:13 PM

Standard PVC cable - 14/0.30, 1.0mm², 8.75A

Thin wall cable - 16/0.20, 0.5mm², 11.0A

These would be more than enough for the LT ignition circuit.

#7 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 03:48 PM

I hate to wee on anyone’s fire but do not use coils with 0.9ohm resistance with the 65D dizzy. You MUST use a 1.5ohm coil. Using coils with lower resistance causes premature module failure and reduced part throttle torque.

The Current GCL143 as listed above has the wrong coil resistance for this application.

This is a suitable coil for that dizzy;

https://simonbbc.com...10-DLB102-BLACK

And has already been correctly stated you use NO ballast resistor with this setup.

Ac

Edited by ACDodd, 06 January 2021 - 03:53 PM.

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 04:07 PM

Thanks AC - so that coil is happy even when supplied constantly with a full 12V? No fear of it burning out?

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 04:34 PM

I hate to wee on anyone’s fire but do not use coils with 0.9ohm resistance with the 65D dizzy. You MUST use a 1.5ohm coil. Using coils with lower resistance causes premature module failure and reduced part throttle torque.

The Current GCL143 as listed above has the wrong coil resistance for this application.

And has already been correctly stated you use NO ballast resistor with this setup.

Ac

The GCL 143 coil worked on my 998 with a 65D dizzy for 6 years, it failed when it was dropped during storage when we changed the clutch.

That tells me that a GCL143 coil works perfectly well with this distributor.

I've since had to change the modern equivalent of that coil 3 times due to failure under load.

Just my findings in 10 years of minis, lucky perhaps?

Since AC has more experience than I, use the link in his post.

Regards

Cal

Edited by cal844, 06 January 2021 - 04:38 PM.

#10 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:16 PM

Ac

Now I'm really confused as I'm a dunce when it comes all of this ignition voltage requirement stuff.  The link in the reply by Steely states that the 1.5V coil "would burn out quickly if operated constantly at 12 volts", so system has a  ballast resistor to supply 12V to the coil during start-up.  The Viper coil description says to use their 1.5V coil but with ballast resistor.  Ac says to use the 1.5V Viper coil but without the ballast resistor.  So then, the 1.5V coil will not burn out under constant 12V usage (that the ignition module will be OK) and the ballast resistor is not required for use with the 65D??  Have I got this right?

Edited by croc7, 06 January 2021 - 10:17 PM.

#11 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:21 PM

The reason why the coil can put up with the constant 12 volt supply is that the 65d dizzy is variable dwell. At idle you only have 20degrees of dwell. Means the coil on time is much less that a conventional dizzy. This is also the reason why using this dizzy is one of the best you can use on your a-series.

The point I am getting at is the 65d unit is a constant energy type design and changes the dwell angle across the rev range. People on this forum give advice but do not understand how things work. The part number GCL143 is correct however the coil now supplied under this number is not the same as the original at 1.5ohms. So do not use the 143 coil. Fit a coil that has 1.5ohms of primary resistance. It won’t burn out as its a variable dwell dizzy, I hope that’s clear enough for all!

Ac

Edited by ACDodd, 06 January 2021 - 10:26 PM.

#12 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:28 PM

The reason why the coil can put up with the constant 12 volt supply is that the 65d dizzy is variable dwell. At idle you only have 20degrees of dwell. Means the coil on time is much less that a conventional dizzy. This is also the reason why using this dizzy is one of the best you can use on your a-series.

The point I am getting at is the 65d unit is a constant energy type design and changes the dwell angle across the rev range. People on this forum give advice but do not understand how things work. The part number GCL143 is correct however the coil now supplied under this number is not the same as the original at 1.5ohms. So do not use the 143 coil. Fit a coil that has 1.5ohms of primary resistance. It won’t burn out as its a variable dwell dizzy, I hope that’s clear enough for all!

Ac

That clears that up perfectly! I apologise for my small rant (if that's how I came across).

What would be a suitable part number that I can use to source a coil for the 65D distributor (12v, non ballast car)?

Thanks and regards

Cal

Edited by cal844, 06 January 2021 - 10:35 PM.

#13 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:38 PM

I gave a suitable link above.

Ac

#14 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 03:01 AM

Ac

Thanks, Ac.  Makes more sense now.  I had a 65D on the Metro A Plus 1275 that worked quite well, then was lured into the grasp of the 123 dizzy.  Thinking of going back to the original equipment and now will give it a go with the Viper 1.5V coil, without the ballast resistor set-up.

#15 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:38 PM

Croc7, just make sure it has the right advance curve.

Ac

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users