The past few weeks I have been mainly working out what parts I have, what I need and working out where they go then hitting eBay or online parts shops. I has been a very steep learning curve going form knowing a bit about my 1988 Designer to a Mk2 1968 car and its many differences.
Thankfully I have had 2 very good resources helping me an Original 1969 BMC Body Service Parts List (came with the car) and the Mechanical Service Parts List (eBay). These have been crucial for working out what bit is what and how they all go together.
It was hard making sure I was getting the period correct parts such as wiper motors, interior lights and switches, etc. Boxes of bits started to arrive including a big box box parts from Mini Spares, a reconditioned wiper motor, reconditioned heater, full lock kit, and a reconditioned Hydrolastic displacer unit.
I was worried I wouldn't be able to get the parts for the hydrolastic suspension as I have seen lots of people saying they couldn't get parts, they don't make them anymore, etc and were switching to dry. I really wanted to keep the wet setup so I scoured the web and manged to get the helper springs from ADO Equipment and the reconditioned hydro displacer unit from Hydragas and Hydrolastic Service Ltd. I had the other 3 displacer units so most of the parts I need for the hydro suspension is now complete.
I decided to finish placing in the wiring loom, labelling all the connections and fit the headlights. I also mocked up and fitted some of the other bits inc the original ignition barrel, clocks and some of the door hardware.
After a little accident with the boot opening and the string that was meant to stop it opening too far snapped I decided to fit the lock (I was going to fit the retaining straps after fuel tank install) and while I was there I fitted the number plate holder.
On my eBay hunt I was able to find some rare parts including the original door switches (way over priced but couldn't find them anywhere!), the correct interior light, a NOS interior light cover. I also bought a heater rear light switch and light with fitting place as the car came with a heated rear screen that looked correct for the age of the car. Unfortunately when the Heritage certificate arrived it stated there were no optional extras fitted. According to my BMC book the heated rear screen was an optional extra so I'm not going to fit it. I'm trying and keep the car as original as I can from factory. Granted its got a Mk3 tunnel, but as its fully painted there is no way I'm chopping up the shell now to convert it back, down the line I might, but not now...
I was able to find some original cooper badges, as unfortunately I broke the one that came with the car
There was the big alternator debate. As the car came with a dyno I thought I would need to convert the car to negative earth as the engine has had a dyno style alternator fitted. I confirmed the alternator was neg earth too. With all this in mind I bought the dummy control box (wasn't cheap!) to keep the wiring as original looking as possible and was working out the wiring for it all which didn't add up. I then found the part number of the wiring loom that came with the car, which is a Mk2 loom, with alternator conversion. So now the dummy control box will actually be a dummy, dummy control box as it wont actually be part of the loom (i will attach wires to make it appear it is). I could have had an original control box for half the price...
The next lot of work is building up the front subframe and figuring out what driveshafts to fit as the remote gearbox has pot joints currently fitted, which isn't correct. I have asked around on FB groups as to why this would be so I need to decide the way forward. I might need to change the diff if its been converted, or just find the correct shafts to fit. I need to do more digging.
Edited by Minime998, 03 October 2021 - 08:16 PM.